Upgrading from a G29 to ???

• Thread starter gapper59
  • 8 comments
United States
Addison IL.
I've been using a G29 since GTS came out in 2017. My biggest problem with it is the gas pedal frying out within a year.
I tried the YouTube cleaning videos that didn't work to well, bought replacement pedals that lasted 10 months,
and ended up buying another G29 just for the pedals in August 2019 that are now doing the same thing after 10 months.
The throttle fluctuates between 75-100% when keeping the pedal floored. I'm done with Logitech and want to upgrade.

Besides the pedals is compatible issues with the G29, like not being able to adjust wheel rotation and a bad feel for the
road surface. From what I've heard Thrustmaster and Fanatec are the best options but I don't know anything about them.
I believe each manufacture has different wheels, pedals, and wheel bases to choose from so I'm totally lost.

I got about $1,200 to spend, but before I do I'd like to hear what the veteran wheel users think as far as pedals,
reliability and compatibility, and which wheels are most likely to be well supported in the next version of GT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
I've been using a G29 since GTS came out in 2017. My biggest problem with it is the gas pedal frying out within a year.
I tried the YouTube cleaning videos that didn't work to well, bought replacement pedals that lasted 10 months,
and ended up buying another G29 just for the pedals in August 2019 that are now doing the same thing after 10 months.
The throttle fluctuates between 75-100% when keeping the pedal floored. I'm done with Logitech and want to upgrade.

Besides the pedals is compatible issues with the G29, like not being able to adjust wheel rotation and a bad feel for the
road surface. From what I've heard Thrustmaster and Fanatec are the best options but I don't know anything about them.
I believe each manufacture has different wheels, pedals, and wheel bases to choose from so I'm totally lost.

I got about $1,200 to spend, but before I do I'd like to hear what the veteran wheel users think as far as pedals,
reliability and compatibility, and which wheels are most likely to be well supported in the next version of GT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
I'm also a G29 user and want to upgrade but I will not consider anything which isn't confirmed to be forwards compatible with PlayStation 5.

I think Fanatec and thrustmaster stuff is in short supply at the moment and 2nd hand prices are very high, I've had the same problem with my G29 pedals and cleaning with electrical cleaner and drying with a hairdryer has always fixed it, I will upgrade next year when everything has been proven to work with PS5

I upgraded my G29 to the Fanatec CSL Elite F1 with the load cell kit just 2 days ago. Early days yet, but I can already tell you the difference is night and day!

Thanks to all

I think Fanatec and thrustmaster stuff is in short supply at the moment and 2nd hand prices are very high, I've had the same problem with my G29 pedals and cleaning with electrical cleaner and drying with a hairdryer has always fixed it, I will upgrade next year when everything has been proven to work with PS5

Did you disassemble the potentiometers to clean or just spray into them?

I stripped the pedals down but didn't take the potentiometers apart I just sprayed electrical contact cleaner into them, I now cover them with a plastic bag when not in use,

Back