Upgrading to PS5 - Storing my PS4 games - Dumb question time!

• Thread starter Mercia
  • 6 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
jdeviant1983
Currently using a PS4 Pro but have a PS5 on the way, I'm told I can use my current external hard drive to continue to store PS4 games without taking up the limited space on PS5 hard drive.

However I'm wondering what games to store here, as many games such a Watch Dogs Legion or AC Valhalla have PS5 upgrades and I'm assuming... here comes the dumb part... I wouldn't get to use those upgrades if the games are running from the external drive, and they would be running instead as PS4 games under backwards compatibility?

It might seem obvious but I'm not 100% sure.

If for example I wanted to revisit The Last Of Us II but with the PS5 framerate upgrades etc. I'd need to install the game on the main PS5 drive, is that right?

I'd be right in thinking that I should only store PS4 games that haven't had any PS5 patch or upgraded version on the external drive?

Thanks for any advice! For a simple upgrade in theory it's giving me more questions than I expected.

Currently using a PS4 Pro but have a PS5 on the way, I'm told I can use my current external hard drive to continue to store PS4 games without taking up the limited space on PS5 hard drive.

However I'm wondering what games to store here, as many games such a Watch Dogs Legion or AC Valhalla have PS5 upgrades and I'm assuming... here comes the dumb part... I wouldn't get to use those upgrades if the games are running from the external drive, and they would be running instead as PS4 games under backwards compatibility?

It might seem obvious but I'm not 100% sure.

If for example I wanted to revisit The Last Of Us II but with the PS5 framerate upgrades etc. I'd need to install the game on the main PS5 drive, is that right?

I'd be right in thinking that I should only store PS4 games that haven't had any PS5 patch or upgraded version on the external drive?

Thanks for any advice! For a simple upgrade in theory it's giving me more questions than I expected.
Yes, PS4 games can run from an external USB drive. PS5 games cannot. PS4 games with a PS5 patch must be run from an internal drive.

PS5 games must run off the PS5's internal drive, or an internal M2 SSD that you can fit. The M2 works in addition to the existing PS5 internal drive.

Last edited:
Yes, PS4 games can run from an external USB drive. PS5 games cannot. PS4 games with a PS5 patch must be run from an internal drive.

PS5 games must run off the PS5's internal drive, or an internal M2 SSD that you can fit. The M2 works in addition to the existing PS5 internal drive.
Thanks mate, nice and simple, that's all I needed to know. 👍

Thanks mate, nice and simple, that's all I needed to know. 👍
It's also very easy to fit an internal M2 SSD and with the size games are these days it makes so much sense.

It's also very easy to fit an internal M2 SSD and with the size games are these days it makes so much sense.
Had a quick look at prices and perhaps for later in the year.

The machine and handful of games was more than enough for now :lol:

I run most PS4 games on the external drive and I have a couple that have ps5 upgrades that I run from the internal drive. I am planning on trying to get a 2TB M2 internal drive move some the PS4 games I play a lot

Buy a hardrive I have 3 already. I keep my ps4 games on a external harddrive while using the ps5 for only ps5 games. I once installed a lot of ps4 games on my ps5 until i realised i had like 10 to 20 gb of space left LOL.

Ps5 has limited space that 800 gb is just not enough.

Last edited:
Back