USB fans for PC

• Thread starter Gas12
  • 5 comments

Gas12

(Banned)
England
England
I've just as a test purchased some USB fans and stuck them at the air vent in top of PC case to suck out the warm air around my CPU.

Seems to work, my question is this though, has anyone else tried this as can't find anything on the internet?

I have two intake fans and exhaust all connected to the motherboard so this is just an extra via USB.

Any downsides here i'm missing?

If there's an air vent in the top of the PC, isn't this for internal fans connected to the motherboard? The only downside of the USB fan is the lack of motherboard control to ramp it up when things are warm and quieten it down when temps are OK.

What are your temps like? Are you using any monitoring software like HWInfo64?

Not for a desktop, but when I still had a gaming laptop I had one of those stands with fans in it that blows fresh air at the bottom inlets. It helped a lot (10-20 degrees C). Efficiency varies per stand though, some of them are not great, some are.

As long as you're blowing fresh air at an inlet or sucking air from an outlet (and not the other way around) it shouldn't interfere with the internal airflow.

Well currently i have removed the ryzen 5 3600 boost so temps stay at about 60c max under load, 40 idle.

If i run full boost then it can get to 70c maybe 76c max, and 55 at idle.

I have got the wraith cooler which clearly i need to upgrade.

Its a problem with ryzen 5 4600's sadly as the boost spikes all over the shop.

I just like the idea of keeping stuff cool.

Well currently i have removed the ryzen 5 3600 boost so temps stay at about 60c max under load, 40 idle.

If i run full boost then it can get to 70c maybe 76c max, and 55 at idle.

I have got the wraith cooler which clearly i need to upgrade.

Its a problem with ryzen 5 4600's sadly as the boost spikes all over the shop.

I just like the idea of keeping stuff cool.
60 C is well within spec for Ryzen 5. But yeah, there are plenty of cheap tower coolers that will outperform the Wraith, and probably at lower noise levels. IIRC, I specced the Cryorig M9 plus for my son's R5 3600, which sits alongside a 3060Ti in a Coolermaster NR200p case. He doesn't have any issues with thermals, and that cooler is ~£30.

Back