USB Flash Memory is Full?!

United Kingdom
London
JohnsonCapote
Hello folks,

Random question for you all. Just started playing Gran Turismo 4 again for a Plays series on Youtube, really excited to get going - however, I've hit a snag. Tried to do some Photo Mode for video thumbnails etc, and bought a brand new USB flash drive for this. However, every time I try to either save or transfer a photo to the flash drive, I get this error message:

'The USB Flash Memory is full. Delete files from the USB memory using a PC, etc. then try again.'

Considering this is a BRAND NEW USB drive, with NOTHING on it...erm?! Anyone? :confused:

If it helps, the USB drive itself is USB 3.0, but compatible with 2.0 ports, and made by Integral. Not sure if there's any issue there.

Hello folks,

Random question for you all. Just started playing Gran Turismo 4 again for a Plays series on Youtube, really excited to get going - however, I've hit a snag. Tried to do some Photo Mode for video thumbnails etc, and bought a brand new USB flash drive for this. However, every time I try to either save or transfer a photo to the flash drive, I get this error message:

'The USB Flash Memory is full. Delete files from the USB memory using a PC, etc. then try again.'

Considering this is a BRAND NEW USB drive, with NOTHING on it...erm?! Anyone? :confused:

If it helps, the USB drive itself is USB 3.0, but compatible with 2.0 ports, and made by Integral. Not sure if there's any issue there.
What's the capacity of the drive? The PS2 only supports very old thumb drives. In particular I don't believe anything over 4GB will work, and it wouldn't surprise me if the limit is even less.

This is a big part of why I still have an old Lexar 1GB still kicking around.

What's the capacity of the drive? The PS2 only supports very old thumb drives. In particular I don't believe anything over 4GB will work, and it wouldn't surprise me if the limit is even less.

Gah, that must be it. It's 16GB. :(

I have my old 2GB drive kicking around but I just can't lay my hands on it right now. Never mind, some screengrabbing from the capture card software has done the trick. :)

Gah, that must be it. It's 16GB. :(

I have my old 2GB drive kicking around but I just can't lay my hands on it right now. Never mind, some screengrabbing from the capture card software has done the trick. :)
You may wish to keep looking for that 2GB drive... the images saved to the USB are higher resolution than what's shown on the screen.

I did manage a Kingston 8GB to work, but it takes an absolute age for the game to look through the file table in large partitions like that, so it isn't recommended. Superfine-quality images I think average about 200KB, so more than 256MB in a flash drive becomes a waste of time. If you only have large drives, you can use third-party tools to make a relatively small partition at the start, which will be the only one the game (and, by extension, Windows, too) will detect. I have an old drive with a floppy-size partition at the front formatted to FAT16 and it works perfectly.
EDIT: the PS2 has USB 1.0 or 1.1 ports, which may be an issue with your USB 3.0 drive

Yep-Check on Ebay for a much smaller one like 128mb. I'm awaiting delivery on one I just purchased...a Sony Micro Vault 128mb 2.0. Haven't tried it yet, but from my research they seem to work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back