Used Cars In The 20K Range (For The Parents)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kent
  • 36 comments
  • 1,638 views
I think the real answer to the S60R question is to get the manual!

How about a Subaru Legacy GT? It doesn't have the prestige name of the German big three, but in terms of performance, handling, and interior quality, it's been reviewed quite favorably against the A4 and S4 several times now, and I personally find it a much more attractive place to spend time than the Audi. Handling's brilliant, too, as it's essentially an "STi in a business suit", especially in the new (Limited ed for '06, full production '07-up), performance oriented, Spec B model.
 
Takumi Fujiwara
I think the real answer to the S60R question is to get the manual!

My only question is, have you driven it? The shifter is kinda awkward, and the clutch (although light) takes very high compared to most cars, and it takes some getting used to. One of my friends in High School had the S60R, steel grey with the orange-ish leather interior. He loved the car, but he hated the transmission. Granted, he figured it out eventually, but every time he would race the kid in his WRX or the other kids in their Mustang GT's, he would often lose because of missing gears.

You aren't losing much by choosing the automatic. A few ticks of the 0-60 time, and an easier drive all around. I belive the automatic has a manual override as well, so really, thats all that matters.

...And even then, I'd be going for the V70R far sooner than the S60R. But thats just me...
 
Aww so much hating on the S60R. It's a criuser with sporty injections...it's not supposed to have a full fledged racing attitude. And the V70R is the same car just in estate form. So that means the same transmissions, same interior, same drivetrain, and etc. Either one is beautiful--so yea I'd take either one...in an automatic.
 
I think the S60R would be perfect for his parents. Comoftable, nice looking, safe, cheap to service, reliable and has a injection of speed whenever his parents require, or get that speed bug.
 
Well everybody... :bowdown:
Thanks for the opinions. :cheers:

Unfortunately (or is it fortunately) this has all been in vain. :odd:
Turns out, within one week of the question about a car coming up, my mom brings up the idea when talking to her sister (anyone see a disaster in the works?). :scared:

Well guess what happens.
"Mom": I'm looking for a car.
"Aunt": Really? I just bought a Vette and want to get rid of the Jag- you can have it.
"Mom": Really?
"Aunt": Yeah :cheers:

So this week coming up (on thursday the 6th) my parents are flying out of state to pick up a mid 90's Jaguar for Free.

Mid 90's Jag: Not exactly what I would pick for much other than pimping.
Free: Makes any car a whole lot nicer.

Luckily, Aunt and Uncle worked the cat into great shape and money will not have to go into the car for atleast a little while (I would say for a while but Jags have never had a good rep around me when it came to reliability).

Anyway, thanks again for all the discussion everyone.
I appreciate the time you put into the posts. :bowdown:

Wish us luck with the Jag. :cheers:
Later. :D
 
what sort of jag is it? if you dont mind me asking. Just curious.
 
Takumi Fujiwara
I think the real answer to the S60R question is to get the manual!

For $37900, I can think of a lot of cars I'd rather have with a manual transmission. In fact, your very next paragraph mentions one - the WRX STi - which is $8k less and a bit quicker. No, it's not as luxurious, but since you're choosing the manual you're probably looking for performance - and the S60R isn't quite first in my "performance" book.

YSSMAN
You aren't losing much by choosing the automatic. A few ticks of the 0-60 time, and an easier drive all around. I belive the automatic has a manual override as well, so really, thats all that matters.

A few ticks?! It's two seconds!!!! That's a gigantic margin - it takes the car from true sports car realm (5.4 seconds!!!) to Highlander Hybrid realm. In fact, my $6000 eleven-year-old Volvo would probably out-accelerate an S60R automatic, which, at just under $40000, would be something of an embarrassment.
 
Back