Used cars!

Canada
Canada
I loved the system in GT4; every car in the game was up for display, but not every car was for sale; some cars were only obtainable by winning them or finding them in the Used Cars section.

There was a certain value for each car that looked beyond just how many credits it was worth; rarity, and how you obtained the car played a role. The black 787B had a special value because it was only available for one day in Used Cars. It had a special value that wasn't only how many credits it was worth.

The system in GT6, where every car is available, I liked it and I didn't like it; owning a Toyota Minolta or a DMC would be a great achievement in GT4, you'd feel happy about it, knowing what you went through to get the car of your dreams. In GT6, although expensive, buying a DMC or Toyota Minolta isn't much call for celebration; seeing also, with Seasonals and Quick Match, becoming a millionaire and earning massive credits is not hard. It's almost as if GT6 is a "sandbox" game, where you can try cars you could never try before. No cars are "rare" in the game, they're all pretty much equal. I found that to be a flaw.

EDIT I did some thinking and maybe the series did need a "sandbox game" at least once, and for the 15th Anniversary, PD did it. The main idea I'm imposing is that the sandbox system was nice, but it shouldn't return in coming games until another anniversary game.

Last edited:
Agreed that Used Dealerships did bring some amusement in GT5 and GT4. But I can't agree with "becoming a millionaire" bit, because I figuratively went through hell just to accumulate enough credits to buy cars I wanted...
........But that's just me, I guess.

I mentioned Seasonals/Quick Match; in the 500pp Quick Match race, even coming in last place will yield at least 100,000 credits with any login bonus. Getting Gold in a Seasonal can even pay up to 700,000; you put that with a login bonus and you're an instant millionaire. Also, don't forget you can buy credits.

Last edited:
I mentioned Seasonals/Quick Match; in the 500pp Quick Match race, even coming in last place will yield at least 100,000 credits with any login bonus. Getting Gold in a Seasonal can even pay up to 700,000; you put that with a login bonus and you're an instant millionaire. Also; don't forget you can buy credits.

.......Yeah, seasonals do pay well with log-in bonus of 200%. I should've made myself a little more clearer here, as I didn't do the credit glitch thingy, and I think MTs are a daylight robbery. Oh and I, ah, bought almost all the cars in premium-spec...only ones missin' from my garage is three HSVs and then that's it. So hopefully you can sorta understand why I went through the ringer for credits....

I lik it in GT1. It actually felt to me like shopping for the best bang for buck car to progress through the game. In GT4, what would have made it b we tter, would have been a Search option. Type in the car you want, year, color, #race car, etc and a message should come up to let you know what is available when its available. Checking the UCD every 6 races for 340 days for a silver CRX or 1000 days for a Number 00 RX7LM, was too crazy.

If the UCD is brought back for Offline Career Mode, it needs a "Wanted" search option.

I lik it in GT1. It actually felt to me like shopping for the best bang for buck car to progress through the game. In GT4, what would have made it b we tter, would have been a Search option. Type in the car you want, year, color, #race car, etc and a message should come up to let you know what is available when its available. Checking the UCD every 6 races for 340 days for a silver CRX or 1000 days for a Number 00 RX7LM, was too crazy.

If the UCD is brought back for Offline Career Mode, it needs a "Wanted" search option.

This

I do agree you can't beat GT4's dealership system!
That's right: There is an used cars in GT5, too, so why not in GT6? I think that GT7 should have following dealership section:

New Cars (Cars which are still in production today);
Used Cars (Cars which were driven and which are for sale);
Legendary Cars (Cars which are classic and especially, race cars);
TRD Tuner Cars (For TRD Tuner Cars);
TOM's Tuner Cars (For TOM's Chaser, for example).

I think that dealership should be like GT2 & 4, but also should maintain itself the GT6 layouts.

because it was annoying to have 800 of the games cars being hidden most of the time. however, in gt4, the majority of cars were open to buy, with only the rarest, or the cheapest cars hidden by the UCD.
Yes, by other side, the fact of 800 cars were hidden most of time in GT5 is a little unfair, because it is hard to obtain most of cars, like the Motorsport Elise and IS200 GT-1, for example.

Yes, by other side, the fact of 800 cars were hidden most of time in GT5 is a little unfair, because it is hard to obtain most of cars, like the Motorsport Elise and IS200 GT-1, for example.
and that god damn Chaparral 2D that i love so dearly.

because it was annoying to have 800 of the games cars being hidden most of the time. however, in gt4, the majority of cars were open to buy, with only the rarest, or the cheapest cars hidden by the UCD.
There is an easy solution to that - have the used car dealership contain every car in the game. Each car could have a number of different versions available for sale with different mileage and of course prices. Some days you look and you might have one NSX with 45k on the odo, next day there might be 3 different cars with different mileage. For it to be meaningful, the wear and tear on the chassis and motor would have to be clearly simulated, so that a car with 180,000 km would not be as nimble nor be able to achieve the same power as a 0/0 car.

I'd love the used cars to also have used car issues. Odd parts failures either due to sheer bad luck or bad driving (Bash a wall, lose those suspension settings and gain a very wonky crabbing car. Buzz the re line, Maybe you can lose that gear ratio for the rest of the race. Lock up the brakes... (Hold that The Hairdressers in here use ABS=1.) Then those matched set of racing slicks suddenly gain a matched set of flat spots that jar your eyeballs out of their sockets until you pit for fresh boots or the race is over.

Going into a race knowing your car is a fragile tiger and to go as fast as possible will also require you to drive to survive.

And as The Above post says an old "Fuzzy" car would be interesting to run. Sure it is down 10% on power but it cost half the price of next years Skyline...

The used car dealership was Pure GT. A small selection of cars that refreshed every few game days. Added rarity and bargain.
I'll admit that the GT4 ultra rare cars that popped up every 3000 game days and you could easily miss it if you were in the middle of a longer championship.
Happy days!

Ryk
I'd love the used cars to also have used car issues. Odd parts failures either due to sheer bad luck or bad driving (Bash a wall, lose those suspension settings and gain a very wonky crabbing car. Buzz the re line, Maybe you can lose that gear ratio for the rest of the race. Lock up the brakes... (Hold that The Hairdressers in here use ABS=1.) Then those matched set of racing slicks suddenly gain a matched set of flat spots that jar your eyeballs out of their sockets until you pit for fresh boots or the race is over.

Going into a race knowing your car is a fragile tiger and to go as fast as possible will also require you to drive to survive.

And as The Above post says an old "Fuzzy" car would be interesting to run. Sure it is down 10% on power but it cost half the price of next years Skyline...

The used car dealership was Pure GT. A small selection of cars that refreshed every few game days. Added rarity and bargain.
I'll admit that the GT4 ultra rare cars that popped up every 3000 game days and you could easily miss it if you were in the middle of a longer championship.
Happy days!
What GT4 ultra rare cars? Black Cars?

BlackBeasts.jpg

Would love to come back in GT7, i don't really like the GT5 UDS but i rather have the GT4 one's, i remember those 4 black GT1, Group C, LMP..etc cars which are the Mazda 787B, Nissan R92CP, Nissan R390 GT1 and Toyota GT-one appears on USD every 691 - 700 days (i think). I remember cars like Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport and toyota sprinter trueno ae86 with black bonnet and such that looked like it came from Initial D which was a bit rare and it feels great and that you did something amazing and great and made the game had more replayable value.

Back