User-created online challenges (combination seasonals, license tests, event creator)

DigitalBaka

How hard can it be?
Premium
United States
IL, USA
DigitalBaka
DigitalBaka587
This is not a race/championship creator. The idea is to be more of a license test-type event created by individuals, uploaded for use online. If you've ever played Forza and did anything in the event community you have an idea of what I mean. Or if you go way back, the driving tests in NFS: Porsche Unleashed. Bear with me while I explain how the settings might look.

Track
Choose any existing track or custom course if/when we get them. Your event could be over the full course length or a section of the track. You have the ability to move the start/finish or end points to whatever point on the track you wish to use. Example, I could start by challenge after the first tunnel on Trial Mountain and end it in the middle of the third.

Obstacles/Challenges
At any point along your highlighted section you can place cones or gates that the car must pass through or around. These could be as simple as pass between the barrels, knock over a series of cones or slalom to gymkhana-type maneuvers like a cone-marked section to perform a j-turn, 360 around a cone, etc.
  • 360 cone/section (see video below)
  • Slalom cone/gate
  • J-Turn section
  • Knockdown cone
  • Speed trap gate
  • Average speed section
  • Ability to set DQ/time penalty per cone if touched

Car Setting
This could be set in many ways. Options could include a specific model, specified PP or PP range, HP/weight, or a selection of eligible cars. Creators can also set type of tires, allowed modifications, possibly aids.

Use
Once created you would have an opportunity to take a practice run and edit again if needed. When finished the settings get uploaded to the online community. Similar to choosing a room to race in or a seasonal you would see a listing of available challenges. A complexity rating would be given based on number and type of obstacles for use when looking for events, similar to room settings. A short section with a few cones to slalom would be "novice" while several gates, 360s and slaloms on a couple miles of the Nordschliefe might be classed "expert". Each would have it's own leaderboard that fills out like a seasonal would. Rather than having gold, silver, bronze times you would get a credit reward for completing the challenge. The reward would be based on length, complexity, etc. and set automatically by an algorithm on the GT6 community servers, not the users. Perhaps every couple weeks GT could feature a set of 10 or 12 new events that would award paints or extra credits.

Risks
It could be a complex system to put in place, not as straightforward as a course or event creator would be so there may be some difficulty when first starting out with the creator. There is also the risk of people creating events that are too complex, such as a slalom over the entire length of the Nordschiefe. This could be countered with obstacle number or length limits. And of course the kiddies who will want to make an event for "zomgflugplatzintwosecondzlolz".

Benefits
As with most things community created there are infinite possibilities and replayability. Just as one could spend hours creating and perfecting a livery and sharing it, so could you with this. Giving the community access to create events like this opens a whole new aspect to the game.

It's complex to try to explain so I hope I have gotten across most of the idea. I will attempt to mock up some screenshots and menus to maybe give it some visual aid. I'll do my best to answer questions.

Last edited:
This is brilliant!! I've wanted this since the early days of GT5. I know the drift community would love this, same with the touge people.

A cone placement tool would also be useful for running driving school type events, or even for just marking breaking zones and apexes when learning a new track.

A big empty skid pad would also go well this this feature.

And perhaps those cones that bobble when you hit them, but the bottom stays planted? I think they had these in an old NFS game at some point.

Last edited:
This is brilliant!! I've wanted this since the early days of GT5. I know the drift community would love this, same with the touge people.

A cone placement tool would also be useful for running driving school type events, or even for just marking breaking zones and species when learning a new track.

A big empty skid pad would also go well this this feature.

And perhaps those cones that bobble when you hit them, but the bottom stays planted? I think they had these in an old NFS game at some point.
Exactly my thoughts. 👍 NFS: PU had an open area where they did slalom/cone tests. I'll see if I can find some YouTube footage of this, but my thought was to open up the GT Arena and set it up like the coffee break events.

EDIT: This is what I am thinking. Cones could be placed like this with similar indicators above (or some way of showing what needs to be done at each) along a selectable section of track. Wouldn't mind that Carrera either..... :sly:

Last edited:
another challenge that could be put in is say on a custom track going through a difficult section at a challenge maker determined speed

another challenge that could be put in is say on a custom track going through a difficult section at a challenge maker determined speed
So something like a speed trap? Reach a certain speed by the marker or have a certain average speed through a sector. I could see that.

Yes, yes, yes. Quite brilliant. Is that sort of thing still in the latest Forza 5? If it is it seems like I bought the wrong new console. If it isn't then maybe I should have just got a second hand 360 and FM4? Scratch that, not buying new wheel for either.

Last edited:
Yes, yes, yes. Quite brilliant. Is that sort of thing still in the latest Forza 5? If it is it seems like I bought the wrong new console. If it isn't then maybe I should have just got a second hand 360 and FM4? Scratch that, not buying new wheel for either.
Don't know about F5 but it was a redeeming feature of F4 for me.

Back