Using the tracks in my online lobby ?

• Thread starter ps3dan101
  • 23 comments
United Kingdom
UK
Hi everyone,
Made a really hot track the other day but i want to use it online with my firends, they have downloaded it but its not in the tracklist for the online lobby , i have uploaded it and favourite it but still nothing. Any help welcome
Cheers Dan

Don't think that its actually possible to do a multiplayer race on these, and I can't understand why they left this out. It's so obvious...

I found this on the official GT site...hopefully this solves the issue...can't help first hand as I'm still waiting for my game :(

Anyways:

Setting your Course Albums/Photo Albums to Public
If you set photos taken in photo travel and/or tracks created in the Course Maker as public, you can show them to your friends when they visit your My Home screen.

EDIT: woops, I misread the post....I just noticed you said your friends already downloaded it but that you can't get it to show up online.

My only theory to this is that PD hasn't enabled for that to work online yet.....or they really did make a dumb decision regarding being able to race on created tracks.

At the moment there is no way to play the custom track online, just share it with friends. I believe (because the modular nature of these tracks makes it an extremely small file size) that they plan on implementing this in the future, though I have no evidence that they will. It just makes sense. Why else would they be intentionally basic.

Im also waiting anxiously until we can use these online. hopefully its patched in if its not there already.

One thing i figured out is to download a friends track and use it (in practice mode) you need to mark it as a favorite or it wont be listed. Now I haven't tested this out but I'm guessing that if your PSN friends all do this then maybe it will be available online, maybe.

Cant wait to see this either. Ive made some really fun tracks and would LOVE to be able to race online with them. Surprised there arent more people talking/asking about this.

I'll talk about it! Go-karts in this game are a freakin' frenzy of fun. Creating kart tracks to race with buddies would be sick. Just sick I tell you! Come'on PD, lets get this patched in so shared tracks can be used online!

It seems the technical issues are the problem.

You dont "host" a game like in a mulit-player enabled FPS such as FarCry2, with GT5 you open a slot in their hardware backend to "host" the game using map data that is on their hardware and our PS3's. The your online "lobby game" manages the multiple racers from that management point.

They would need to allow us to upload our maps to their backend, and that may be the issue - instead ot he server hosts having to only have 75 tracks worth of data to reference for online hosted racers, they woul dneed to somehow store and then access and manipiluate potentially 1,000,000's of tracks worth of data.

This is how I understand the hosted lobby features work. I could nad have been known int he past to be wrong though ;)

It seems the technical issues are the problem.

You dont "host" a game like in a mulit-player enabled FPS such as FarCry2, with GT5 you open a slot in their hardware backend to "host" the game using map data that is on their hardware and our PS3's. The your online "lobby game" manages the multiple racers from that management point.

They would need to allow us to upload our maps to their backend, and that may be the issue - instead ot he server hosts having to only have 75 tracks worth of data to reference for online hosted racers, they woul dneed to somehow store and then access and manipiluate potentially 1,000,000's of tracks worth of data.

This is how I understand the hosted lobby features work. I could nad have been known int he past to be wrong though ;)

They would only need to download the track data file at the start of the race. That would only add a few seconds at race start.

They would only need to download the track data file at the start of the race. That would only add a few seconds at race start.

No, the data would need to be stored on the server and referenced as a hosting point. That is the model that PD seem to have followed. Host Lobby PS3's are not hosting the game session, they are simply controlling it. If they did then the game speed/reliability woul dbe dependant on the hosting player snetwork speed, the way a hosted PC game would. The server hosting the game session would mean 1 copy of every custom track ever played would be on their storage.

Online servers that host games load the map/track for reference.

Problem is, you give everyone say only 5 slots, well, millions of users and you're suddenly raising how much space you need on your servers by many Terabytes.

It'd be great to have it in the future, but it's quite a big demand. In the mean time we've got enough variations online and throwing the cars around our own tracks with our own cars is enough.

It wouldn't need to be saved permanently, I'd reckon - just the config/parameter data for the track uploaded to the server, which would make and save the track for that one race session... wouldn't need an outrageous amount of space. In fact, if it were streamed like that it would probably only take a few hundred mb or hard drive space or RAM on each sever to save the track data for that session.

They really blew it this time, not making it possible to use your tracks with your friends online. Is it just me or didn't they think this through. Online is what this game is ALL about and they released a 25% completed online game.....yaaawn :)

It's coming....who knows when, but it's coming. I honestly have a weird feeling about this game that something like this and certain other things that I think should be there but just arent for some strange reason, were alomost purposely left off just so they could add them later as a patch to give the game hype "legs", with every month a sick free feature like "Coming Jan 31st to GT5, play your created tracks online!!!".

This isn't like Mod Nation here with almost infinite possibilities the game has to load in this track. It's pretty basic peramiters layed out over a set environment. I'm pretty sure this will be put in. As will weather on MANY more tracks.

Yea I get the feeling that a lot of stuff will be added overtime. the way I see it is they have held back some features so that they can still keep it fresh for a long time to come. If you look at how LBP was udated over a year adding new fetures both to the game and community ellements it kept people intrested and I think the same will happen with GT5.

IT wouldn't take much data on the servers, all the serves would need to be loaded with are the base environments and the assets used in the scenery, the actual track is just a collection of numbers and is generated from a seed. The server would only need to upload those numbers from the hosts PS3 and then use that seed to create the same track it'self. The actual memory these tracks take up is tiny because they're just numbers.

I have read somewhere that Kazunori Yamauchi is trying, or at-least wants, to let people play their tracks online with other players.

IT wouldn't take much data on the servers, all the serves would need to be loaded with are the base environments and the assets used in the scenery, the actual track is just a collection of numbers and is generated from a seed. The server would only need to upload those numbers from the hosts PS3 and then use that seed to create the same track it'self. The actual memory these tracks take up is tiny because they're just numbers.

Exactly. If you've ever downloaded other people's custom tracks you know it takes a couple of seconds. That's all the proof you need that the file is small.

The generated tracks were intended to be available online from the start. I'm not sure what technical issues are preventing it from working, but it isn't the size of the track file.

It would be best if you could download the track when you enter the lobby, but even if you had to download the track from another user first I would take that.

I maintain hope that pd gets it working. The use of custom tracks online is going to add a huge new aspect to the game.

This I feel is something the game is capable of and will be implemented after a short time... Reason for this:

Page 11 of the instruction manual that came with the game states:

My Lounge
"...you can select the track, vehicle types, number of laps and more. You can even import a custom track made in Course Maker to show off and race on with your friends."

For any other kart racers out there, feel free to add me. PSN: Dan72w

why the hell was this left out?!? I just created a couple of killer tracks, and just found out they're useless since you can't use them online. great...

I'm sure there is a good technical reason why it isn't implemented yet. It is in the manual and Kaz has mentioned it is something he hopes to implement soon.

He said that they'd like to make it so that you'll be able to use the courses you made in the game's course maker mode in online races. This is something that he hopes to implement soon.
- Translated Famistu magazine interview, http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/15/gt5_plans/

Interestingly, I tried for the first time to set my course to online yesterday. It failed uploading on 1/2. Maybe the backend is being played with for an incoming update...? (OK, this is just pure optimism!)

Back