Using the triggers as accelerate and brake with ABS

• Thread starter GT
  • 14 comments

GT

So i'm using the trigger for accelerate and brake because I find it gives me more control than the normal buttons...

I'm really, really enjoying playing without any aids and no ABS. The car becomes difficult to handle at first but as I get used to it I find it way more rewarding. Plus, I have always played GT with the X and [] for acceleration and braking, so i'm also getting used to the triggers which I think are fantastic to drive with.

What do you think is a good way to avoid locking up, is it as simple as not pulling the triggers too far? I find that before a race if I make the brake balance at the front lower (usually around 2 or 3) and either leave the brake balance at the rear at 5 or raise it it 6 or 7, the front tryes don't tend to lock up as quickly when I brake with the trigger.

But I also say in the European tuning and settings forum that the front brake balance is 2 and the rear is 1 ( I think it was on the F430).

As I dont have a chance to try it out (i'm at my university for a few days..and nights...studying...:indiff:) I was wondering what other GT players do to avoid locking up during braking?

Quick question. Does the Triggers work in FUll? like if you press on gas, Trigger, all the way, The throttle line is full? and if half way is half way?
I hear in Japanese version, When you had your Trigger almost full, then the Throttle was full. I hope its all fixed now :)

to me the triggers work flawlessly, perfect I have to say. When I compress them half way, the acceleration is half way, when I press it very lightly, it does exactly that, press some more an the acceleration gradually becomes more and more. It really works perfect and does a great job in giving you control of your acceleration and braking force!!!!

GT
to me the triggers work flawlessly, perfect I have to say. When I compress them half way, the acceleration is half way, when I press it very lightly, it does exactly that, press some more an the acceleration gradually becomes more and more. It really works perfect and does a great job in giving you control of your acceleration and braking force!!!!

same i use the triggers Forza style aswell. But i still thunk for the small time i

played forza the xbox controller is easier on the hands

I was using the triggers but the controller is too small for my hands making it rather painful to brake and steer, im using both sticks till I stump the cash for a G25 - it takes some getting used to braking and accelerating with < 25% movement but atleast I can now use my hands the same day as playing :P

I have been struggling with the sixaxis. I was using the triggers, then the sticks, and now I am using the left trigger for brake and right stick for acceleration - which surprisingly works quite well for myself. I will be getting a DS3 very soon so that may all change.

I will also get the DS3 the moment it's out, but I don't think they have changed anything else to the controller. The pressure sensive buttons are the same, so are the triggers. The only thing i read was different was the stiffness of the sticks, the weight and it's better built.

But can anyone give any ideas as to avoid locking some more?

Quick question. Does the Triggers work in FUll? like if you press on gas, Trigger, all the way, The throttle line is full? and if half way is half way?
I hear in Japanese version, When you had your Trigger almost full, then the Throttle was full. I hope its all fixed now :)

Problem is still there i'm afraid.

GT
So i'm using the trigger for accelerate and brake because I find it gives me more control than the normal buttons...

I'm really, really enjoying playing without any aids and no ABS. The car becomes difficult to handle at first but as I get used to it I find it way more rewarding. Plus, I have always played GT with the X and [] for acceleration and braking, so i'm also getting used to the triggers which I think are fantastic to drive with.

What do you think is a good way to avoid locking up, is it as simple as not pulling the triggers too far? I find that before a race if I make the brake balance at the front lower (usually around 2 or 3) and either leave the brake balance at the rear at 5 or raise it it 6 or 7, the front tryes don't tend to lock up as quickly when I brake with the trigger.

But I also say in the European tuning and settings forum that the front brake balance is 2 and the rear is 1 ( I think it was on the F430).

As I dont have a chance to try it out (i'm at my university for a few days..and nights...studying...:indiff:) I was wondering what other GT players do to avoid locking up during braking?

If you bias the brakes to the rear (as you are suggesting here) you are more likely to get lock-up, and as it will be at the rear of the car, more likely to loose control of the car.

Let me explain. When you brake in a car load will transfer forward, how much depends on a range of factors, but the load will always move to the front of the car. This means that more grip is available at the front end of the car, and as such you will want the front brakes to be doing more of the work (as they are capable of doing more of the work).

So as a result of braking you have the load of a car split 70% front and 30% rear, you would want the braking force split in roughly the same way. If however its was reversed (as you suggest above) and send only 30% of the brake force to the front and 70% to the back; then the front tyres will be braking below there capacity and the rears will be braking above there capacity. In that situation the rears will almost certainly lock up first, a situation that almost always results in a very unstable car.

Unless you want the rear of the car to be unstable when braking (a set-up for drifting for example) then you should always bias the brakes to the front of the car, how much more braking the front can take depends on the car and its set-up. For info on that follow the link in my signature or look at the stickied thread at the top of this forum. Download my set-up guides, as they contain very detailed information and set-up tips for brake bias.

Regards

Scaff

wait, YOU CAN CHANGE BRAKE BIAS?
were does one do that?

In the QTS screen

attachment.php

Regards

Scaff

I use the x and square. Took me some practice but I now manage to only brake or accelerate slightly with the x and the square, since they are also pressure sensitive.

i use the triggers too, but sorry so say the PS3 controllers triggers arent as goos as ones on an xbox 360.

The travel in the trigger was longer so the sensitivity was done by travel, where as there is travel on the PS3 contoller but the smaller amount makes it hard to regulate the amount of throttle/brake you need

Back