v1.06 Freezing While Loading

• Thread starter ApexVGear
  • 16 comments
Ever since the v1.06 update, each day I have to go through the same procedure.

This is for the "on-demand" downloaded version of GT6 on a first-generation PS3.

The first time I turn it on, after being off every night, I launch GT6 and it freezes just after the WARNING screen. It displays the GT logo, and the animated dots below it freeze.

I then have to hold the front power button down on the PS3 to turn it off, flip the back power switch off for a few seconds, turn it back on, boot the PS3, wait for it to check and restore the file system, the dash loads, then I can launch GT6 successfully.

This has happened every day, the first time I load GT6, since the v1.06 update.

[UPDATE] Now it just froze in the same manner while loading a demo race after GT6 was idle on the main screen.

[UPDATE 2] Freezes are even more sporadic--see posts below. This update has "broken" GT6.

Last edited:
Turned on just now, yesterday was fine, but now it freezes. Im buying couple of new cars, and freezes.

Froze at loading screen today for me as well. After the console restart it worked fine. It's not the first time though - happened already around 1.02 or 1.03 for me.

I have the disc version.

Mine took about 2:00 minutes to completely load up on the first start today. Then when I quit the first race of the day it locked up.

Triple beeps and all.

Second start up immediately after it was back to the 30 seconds or so and no problems.

Annoying problem hopefully it won't happen again.

On start up, ignore the 1.06 update, let the game load as normal and then go into lobby and accept the latest update from there.

I can't update to 1.06. My ps3 doesn't even download the new update. It takes a few seconds and then it crashes and restarts. Do I have to wait for 1.07 and hopefully it will be able to update then?! Anyone who knows what I should do?

I solved it with the following information:

1. To avoid this issue, please accept to download the Update by selecting [OK] within 2 seconds of its appearance on screen when prompted. This will update the game properly.
  2. If you wait longer than 2 seconds, please decline the Update by pressing the Circle button when the message in step 1 is displayed, then select [Back] in the subsequent “Sign-In to PSN” screen. The game will start, quit the game using the PS button while in the [My Home] screen and follow the procedure described above.

Source: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...lems-already-popping-up-workaround-available/

In addition to my two problems above, when I complete a race and exit, I get a black screen, the main menu never appears, and the system is unresponsive--nothing happens when I press or hold the "P" button. I have to hold the power button down for several seconds, eventually get loud beeps, then I have to restart and rebuild the files again.

@ApexVGear
Same issue here but with PS3 slim, SSDHD, GT6 blu-ray 15th Anniv version.
In my case, it first started happening occasionally post-1.05 update.
Post 1.06 update it happens at least once daily.

I am still able to quit using the XMB, but I get 3 beeps, and hard shut down.
Very concerning. :mad:

I might have had only one freeze occur prior to the V1.06 update. Virtually no problems at all with GT6, while "playing" it almost every day... until this update.

I have tested other games, both on disc and downloaded--no problems.

I have gone into recovery mode (hold the power button until it turns back off, then hold again until it beeps twice and displays the recovery menu). I have rebuilt the file system and the database.

I'm getting even more sporadic freezes now...

1. Right after pressing the start button to leave the auto-replay after a race. I just get a black screen.

2. When pressing the "sign-up" button to begin a race. The bell sound is cut short, all audio stops, and the screen stays up with the pointer over the button.

These are in addition to freezes every two or three times I load GT6, or a freeze (with either a black screen or GT logo and frozen progress dots) when exiting a race.

Every time, I have to force shut down, then reboot and get the "rebuild" file system screen/warning, and I have to wait for that to complete before I attempt to re-load GT6 again.

Just chatted online with Sony support. After going back and forth several times, the representative finally posted "... in this opportunity you will need a higher level of support in order to escalate this case to a supervisor, please contact us for free by the phone."

I have a case number, and will make the call after lunch.

I called and talked to a Sony support person. Apparently there is supposed to be an update tomorrow. I'll be checking to see if that's true, and if it resolves these freezing problems.

I went to do the apricot 15 lap and it froze just as the cars where rolling to the start/finish line, had to hold the botton on the machine and go though the process of checking files:grumpy::mad:

I haven't seen any updates or hotfixes, and I've still had the random freezes.

However, I got to thinking about when my freezes are occuring--whenever the game transitions, and when a freeze occurs, it almost always happens when the game is about to play some of my own background music from a playlist of songs on my hard drive. This playlist mostly consists of all the previous Gran Turismo title songs.

In my case, it might be that I have a corrupt MP3 file in my playlist. For now, I've turned the feature off in options, and Gran Turismo is playing it's own background music behind the menus.

Of course I don't play music while racing, and I never had a freeze occur while racing. Only when GT was launching, about to load up a new menu or a loading screen before or after a race.

I've only turned it on and tested it a few times, but so far, no freezes yet. Hope this post doesn't "jinx" it.

I haven't seen any updates or hotfixes, and I've still had the random freezes.

However, I got to thinking about when my freezes are occuring--whenever the game transitions, and when a freeze occurs, it almost always happens when the game is about to play some of my own background music from a playlist of songs on my hard drive. This playlist mostly consists of all the previous Gran Turismo title songs.

In my case, it might be that I have a corrupt MP3 file in my playlist. For now, I've turned the feature off in options, and Gran Turismo is playing it's own background music behind the menus.

Of course I don't play music while racing, and I never had a freeze occur while racing. Only when GT was launching, about to load up a new menu or a loading screen before or after a race.

I've only turned it on and tested it a few times, but so far, no freezes yet. Hope this post doesn't "jinx" it.
I think it's many reasons and one is that there is so much data to process and the ps3 can't handle it that good

Back