V8 Supercars to air on SpeedTV for next 3 seasons

I'm damned proud seeing the V8 Supercars make their return. There's NOTHING like this series and all the hard-fought racing that takes place.

Thank god. I've been wanting them to come back on ever since they stopped airing it when it switched from Speedvision to SpeedTV.

Well I'll be damned. Speed is finally starting to listen to us race fans.

Finally, Speed realizes that there is more to life than NASCAR.
Are you sure, one of Nascar's most popular up and coming stars is Marcos Ambrose, who came from V8 Supercars, I think this deal could have something to do with him being so popular in America now.

Well, it's just the most easily accessible form of motorsport on television here. That's why we need a major touring series that does not just race ovals, but street circuits and road races, yet has as big of a following as Nascar, or oval racing in general. I just don't know how it could be done...

LSX
Well, it's just the most easily accessible form of motorsport on television here. That's why we need a major touring series that does not just race ovals, but street circuits and road races, yet has as big of a following as Nascar, or oval racing in general. I just don't know how it could be done...

Well you just described the schedule to IRL.

From what I understand, the Brazilian Stock Car series cars can be had for ~$200k which isn't bad considering a Daytona Prototype runs for around ~$400k with motor. The car-manufacturer for Copa is also looking to sell cars to other series and is ready to add different front ends should a manufacturer be interested(required if they came to America since Peugeot doesn't sell here and Chevrolet doesn't sell the Astra). Sign it up as a support series (at least initially) to IRL to see how well it will handle. Alternatively, you could bring it along next to NASCAR Road course events and even Grand-Am (they'd sort of be an in-between of the GT and DP classes). This would help with sponsorship and drivers as well as media coverage and recognition.

The Brazilian Stock Cars would work best IMO as they have the rumble of the V8 with the unity and competitive formula of NASCAR. WTCC type Touring Cars are just hard to find interesting in the American Mindset.

The problem that so many don't take into account is really how wide-spread American Racing is. We have Grand-Am, SCCA World Challenge, ALMS, IRL and NASCAR to contend with, so any new series will be hard to justify.

Seems they're finally starting to cling back onto their Speedvision/Speed TV roots.

I'm all for it. 👍

V8 Supercars. Epic stuff. Personally I think the Gold Coast 600 was a raging success with all the international drivers.

V8 Supercars. Epic stuff. Personally I think the Gold Coast 600 was a raging success with all the international drivers.

Yes the 600 was a very cool race to watch.

I will say though, being as condensed as it was, I had a really hard time keeping track of what was happening, it was like taking mini-naps and waking up every five minutes, then two or three later, we've missed several laps. I can't complain too much, at least I can watch it on my TV, but it would be nice to watch the race without the skipping, it takes a lot from these endurance races. At least in the normal season, we'd see the full sprint race.

Hell...yes.

Good bye, cruddy internet streams(even if its just for one year).

I'm guessing they're doing this to prepare for the Series' expansion into the US via their 2013 COTA race. Kinda get the American viewers familiarized with V8 Supercars. Hopefully we'll see all the races live next year, instead of the week delay thing. Leigh Diffey is ok in my eyes. He always sits in for SPEED's F1 coverage when Bob Varsha is off doing Barrett-Jackson Auction stuff. I'm not familiar with the other guy though.

I'm guessing they're doing this to prepare for the Series' expansion into the US via their 2013 COTA race. Kinda get the American viewers familiarized with V8 Supercars. Hopefully we'll see all the races live next year, instead of the week delay thing. Leigh Diffey is ok in my eyes. He always sits in for SPEED's F1 coverage when Bob Varsha is off doing Barrett-Jackson Auction stuff. I'm not familiar with the other guy though.

He's primerily on the Grand-am and ALMS broadcasts (well was before they ditched Speed for ESPN)

Good bye, cruddy internet streams(even if its just for one year).
I'm willing to bet you'll get more coverage in 2012 - in addition to Bathurst and Surfers', I'd put my money on America getting the Clipsall 500, Philip Island, the Sydney 500 and maybe Hamilton and/or Townsville (to keep interest going in the middle of the season). After all, the V8s are going to Austin in 2013, so they'll want to keep interest afloat. And I wouldn't be too surprised if a NASCAR or Indycar driver or two lands a wildcard entry for at least one of those races and/or we see an influx of Americans for the 2012 Gold Coast 600.

I'll revive this thread with this bit of news for our American friends: SPEED TV will be covering Bathurst and the Gold Coast 600 live and in prime time, with Leigh Diffey and Calvin Fish flying out to cover the events.

Oh Hell yes. I did the internet streams for a few years, a lot of late nights, really enjoyed those. I wish they would still let us do it, but that's okay, this is better. :D --- Randy

If you sign up to to speed2.com you can even watch stuff like FIA GT1 to European truck racing ON DEMAND! .

http://www.speed2.com/

How much do you have to pay though? From what I heard, you have to pay for that (unless I'm mistaking that for pay-per-view option)

Edit: Nevermind my comment, It appears to work exactly like ESPN3.com in that all you need is to have one of the service providers to view it so its not a pay service. Unfortunately, my provider isn't listed :(

Leigh Diffey is ok in my eyes. He always sits in for SPEED's F1 coverage when Bob Varsha is off doing Barrett-Jackson Auction stuff. I'm not familiar with the other guy though.
I believe Leigh called some V8 Supercars races for Either 7 or Ten Network a few years ago. Not sure of the year though. 2007 or '08?

I'm happy to see the SPEED commentators seem genuinely enthusiastic to come down here and commentate. It's easy to be cynical and chalk it up to them hyping the event for American audiences, but SPEED has been broadcasting the races for a while now, and I get the impression that these guy really appreciate good racing.

What I'm really hoping for is some cross-over between the Australian and American commentators. I think it would be a mistake to simply give SPEED their own booth and leave them to it - Channel 7 and SPEED interact a little, even if it's just asking them their thoughts post-race or sending Mark Skaife out to do a walk-around with SPEED to introduce the challenges of the circuit.

If the live broadcast is a success (and I hope it is), maybe V8 Supercars could convince a couple of NASCAR drivers to come down for Bathurst next year. I don't know too much about the NASCAR drivers (except that a few of them really don't like one another, though I'm in the dark as to exactly who), but if they could get a couple of competitive drivers together (especially if they're good at road courses) - maybe Brad Keselowski, Jeff Gordon, Juan Pablo Montoya and Mark Martin - and run two Wildcards for Bathurst, it would do a lot of good for the sport in America. And down here, too.

Was interesting to see the international drivers last year, in particular at the Gold Coast event. At the time I said to a mate that maybe they really shouldn't be there. I'd have to say now though that as long as they can get the seat time, then go for it.

Haha, maybe Marcos can come back and resume the battle with one Greg Murphy... ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFayVvl-GgE

What I'm really hoping for is some cross-over between the Australian and American commentators. I think it would be a mistake to simply give SPEED their own booth and leave them to it - Channel 7 and SPEED interact a little, even if it's just asking them their thoughts post-race or sending Mark Skaife out to do a walk-around with SPEED to introduce the challenges of the circuit.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm always interested in what people from overseas have to think of what we have to offer down here and even more so when it's something that I have a lot of interest in, like the V8 Supercars.

If the live broadcast is a success (and I hope it is), maybe V8 Supercars could convince a couple of NASCAR drivers to come down for Bathurst next year. I don't know too much about the NASCAR drivers (except that a few of them really don't like one another, though I'm in the dark as to exactly who), but if they could get a couple of competitive drivers together (especially if they're good at road courses) - maybe Brad Keselowski, Jeff Gordon, Juan Pablo Montoya and Mark Martin - and run two Wildcards for Bathurst, it would do a lot of good for the sport in America. And down here, too.
That would be great but considering how tight the NASCAR schedule is, I really doubt it. Also I believe "The Chase" usually gets underway before the Bathurst 1000 comes around each year, so it's pretty unlikely that any of the top NASCAR drivers would come down here.

Yeah, that is a bit of a problem. Especially with the weekly races. The only way I could see it working would be if VESA worked directly with NASCAR and got a one-week gap going during the Chase. But I think that would be an unpopular solution just to get four drivers to come down here. There would have to be something in it for NASCAR, though I can't think of much short of running a one-off event down here. NASCAR at the Clipsal 500? They don't exactly do much in the way of street racing. Maybe the Island. Of course, there aren't too many venues down here that could support forty-car fields ...

Maybe, instead of getting the "name" drivers, they could snare the top drivers who failed to qualify for the Chase. It wouldn't be as big a coup as getting the likes of Busch and Keselowski down here, but it would still do some good for the sport in America.

Even if no-one from NASCAR makes it down here for Bathurst, I'm willing to bet at least one driver will run a wildcard for Texas in 2013.

Back