V8t?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TexRex
  • 21 comments
  • 1,392 views
Messages
31,124
United States
a baby, candy, it's like taking.
Messages
TexRex72
Are there any cars in the game with a V8 mounted transversely? FF or MR doesn't matter, I just want to see if and/or how the lateral weight difference is portrayed in the data logger. I know the 288 GTO is longitudinal despite the fact that it's a homologation of the the 308/328 which uses a transverse V8.
 
Are there any cars in the game with a V8 mounted transversely? FF or MR doesn't matter, I just want to see if and/or how the lateral weight difference is portrayed in the data logger. I know the 288 GTO is longitudinal despite the fact that it's a homologation of the the 308/328 which uses a transverse V8.
The Caddys are both AWD or RWD? Jay Leno's Olds is too early, so that's the only nameplates I can think of to have used transverse mounted V8s. I won't claim any knowledge of European practices.
 
The CTS-V is FR and the Cien is MR but has a V12. The Olds was FF but even then it had a longitudinally-mounted engine with a chain behind it down to the transmission on one side of the oil pan, but that doesn't matter now as it's just a Corvette drivetrain that's been swapped in. Thanks for the response, though.
 
Well, the Cizeta has two V8's mounted transversely if that helps? :D
Isn't the Ford Taurus SLO a transverse V8? Or indeed the Volvo S80?
 
Well, the Cizeta has two V8's mounted transversely if that helps? :D
Isn't the Ford Taurus SLO a transverse V8? Or indeed the Volvo S80?

From what I've heard, the Cizeta is not two V8's, contrary to popular belief.
 
Well, the Cizeta has two V8's mounted transversely if that helps? :D
Isn't the Ford Taurus SLO a transverse V8? Or indeed the Volvo S80?
Given that the "two V8s" in the Cizeta are on opposite sides of the output shaft leading into a longitudunal transaxle, I'd say it doesn't really count as I'm looking for something that would have the offset mass of a V8 entirely on one side of the final drive. I guess it could work with a particularly heavy V6 (if anyone here is privy to that sort of information) but the V8 is preferred because its mass extends farther from the final drive than a V6's mass would.

The Taurus is a V6 and the S60 (there is no S80 in the game) is an I5. The latter's mass extends farther from the final drive than a V8's would but there's only the one bank of cylinders as opposed to the two banks of a V. I've also tested the latter, however, and there's no significant difference in ride height on left-handers versus right-handers. FYI, I'm testing primarily through the S-turns on Autumn Ring Mini and, again, thanks for the reply.

From what I've heard, the Cizeta is not two V8's, contrary to popular belief.

While technically one engine case, it does have two crankshafts.

CizetaV16t14_288x288.jpg

cizeta-v16t-01.jpg

The second picture actually depicts a fair amount of difference between the two sides of the final drive, I would be remiss if I didn't give it a try.
 
Last edited:
The CTS-V is FR and the Cien is MR but has a V12. The Olds was FF but even then it had a longitudinally-mounted engine with a chain behind it down to the transmission on one side of the oil pan, but that doesn't matter now as it's just a Corvette drivetrain that's been swapped in. Thanks for the response, though.
My apologies....I'm not looking at the game and knew I didn't know enough....but no one else was taking a shot :lol:. I'm more of a mid-size guy with GM, so if wasn't in a Monte Carlo, Cutlass, LeMans or Skylark, I'm guessing:lol: :cheers:

Regarding the post above (#6), does that come with a smoke and a whisky? Holy SMOKE that's sexy:lol:
 
Given that the "two V8s" in the Cizeta are on opposite sides of the output shaft leading into a longitudunal transaxle, I'd say it doesn't really count as I'm looking for something that would have the offset mass of a V8 entirely on one side of the final drive. I guess it could work with a particularly heavy V6 (if anyone here is privy to that sort of information) but the V8 is preferred because its mass extends farther from the final drive than a V6's mass would.

The Taurus is a V6 and the S60 (there is no S80 in the game) is an I5. The latter's mass extends farther from the final drive than a V8's would but there's only the one bank of cylinders as opposed to the two banks of a V.

Nope, the 98 model Taurus SHO in the game has a weirdo, 207ci V8.
 
Nope, the 98 model Taurus SHO in the game has a weirdo, 207ci V8.

Fair enough--207cu-in V8 as of 1996. It'll be my next purchase in the game, thanks for the redirect.
 
IIRC that Taurus V8 is made by Yamaha... #TheMoreYouKnow
 
The Ferrari Dino is a transversely mounted V6 if that helps?
 
The Ferrari Dino is a transversely mounted V6 if that helps?
I'm afraid it doesn't, as Iwas already aware and it doesn't meet the requirements, but I still appreciate the reply. ;)
 
I'm afraid it doesn't, as Iwas already aware and it doesn't meet the requirements, but I still appreciate the reply. ;)
Maybe mercedes or bmw has a transversely mounted V8? I can't think of anything else off the top of my head
 
Maybe mercedes or bmw has a transversely mounted V8? I can't think of anything else off the top of my head
Nope. All those are FR, or AWD. What's the point of guessing if you don't know?
 
Oh right, so we're only looking for MRs. Ok, now I understand
Not only MR's, there are V8 FWD cars that exist, just not as many in the game as IRL. Think of how an engine is mounted in a Civic, it's "sideways", now picture a V8 mounted the same way.

Edit: removed incorrect reference to Toronado
 
Last edited:
Can't find any V8's, but the Miura should have have a V12t, and the Evora has a V6t. The MR2 also runs a t mounted engine I think.

Mounting an engine transverse in an FR is just impractical, so I don't think that particular combination actually exists.
 
Miura is an odd duck, the V12 sits sideways but the transmission is linked via eithe chain or gear to its side (behind it in the chassis) making it surprisingly well-balanced from side to side. Nearly every mid-size sedan produced today utilizes a variation on a transversely-mounted V6 over the front axle. Sure there are I4s and there are hybrids, but the design makes for efficient packaging.

Does anyone know how the engine in the Oullim Spirra is oriented? I know the production car gets a transverse Hyundai V6 but the best picture I can find of the V8 is too small and too closely cropped to get a reference.

Tested the SHO doing low-, mid-, and high-speed lane changes on Route X but there's no discernable difference in front ride height from side to side. Maybe this is all futile but my Data Logger is definitely getting plenty of use. Thanks again for all of the input, everyone.
 
Its an interesting idea but I would hazard a guess that the engine doesn't 'exist' in GT, I don't think the cars are modelled that way from a physics perspective. The car is just basically a single block with defined weight values at either end to represent front/rear.
I do look forward to seeing if it is though so good luck with your testing
 
The car is just basically a single block with defined weight values at either end to represent front/rear.
That's readily becoming my belief as well, which is unfortunate. But we don't have the ability to tune for individual corners, so why should we need the ability to? I feel bad for the NASCAR guys.
 
That's readily becoming my belief as well, which is unfortunate. But we don't have the ability to tune for individual corners, so why should we need the ability to? I feel bad for the NASCAR guys.
Being that you can't vary setting between left/right I don't think it would be influential or applicable to tuning techniques anyway. Maybe Next Gen lol
 
Back