Omnis

Not Even A Real Mod
Staff Emeritus
United States
Application hell
MP-Omnis

The Dyson Absolute DC17 Animal
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I5REVA/?tag=gtplanet-20

This thing is INSANE. If you have the cash, I highly recommend it. It has enough suction to [deleted]. I vacuumed my room with my old vacuum, a pretty good Electrolux bought before Eureka took over the company.

The DC17 blows it away. I did the test on the carpeting in my room, which hadn't been vacuumed in a long time. It's only about a 40 sq. ft. area. Here is what the Dyson picked up following the Electrolux:

(Front and Back of canister. All of that is fine dirt/silt/dust with "normal" dust on top.)

Looks like the new "Level 3 Root Cyclone" system works. It also came with all kinds of special cleaning tools, substances, and heads. The way it empties is also very cool. None of the dust and dirt kicks back into the air as the bottom drops out when you hit the button.

I am extremely impressed and complete satisfied. I give it a 9.5/10, with the .5 taken off for the high pricetag.

Go Dyson!

Being in Industrial design we (the class) had to analyze the parts of this vacuum and while it works really well, it's butt ****ing ugly... There's no reason they could've kept the great functionality of this thing while making it look better.

I think this one looks great. I hated the look of its predecessors, but this one looks freakin' cool.

Yeah, they rule. I literally filled the entire canister when I swept the living room (and it's not that big) right after using the lame $50 Kmart special we've been using for the previous 8 months.

daan
Dysons suck.

...Harder than a Russian hooker on payday.

;)

We've got a DC14 (budget end really) and it's brilliant, it really is. Our only gripe is that it's frigging loud! I know vacuuming isn't exactly something you'll be wanting to do while people are sleeping, but this thing will quite easily give you a headache after a few minutes of use. Vacuum cleaners are loud, yeah, but the DC07 we had before was never this bad...

Oh and the price, I'd forgotten about that. £150 and it can't even do hard floors. But hey, it brings your carpet back to life, and there's much improvement over the previous models (including the awesome emptying method mentioned).

We have a Dyson. One of their first models, if not the first. Our Eureka 4870GZ is way better than that POS.

But it looks like Omnis has a new improved model.

Dysons suck.
Literally. :lol:

Although, I can quite agree. We've not had a great experience with them. We've had 3 very similar on Omnis': two green ones and a yellow one. I can't remember the model numbers though.

The yellow was the one that lasted for over a year, but not without much trouble. The flexible pipe split, loosing pretty much all suction through the nossle. It was in warranty at the time, so we got a replacement. That worked fine, but just before its "death" you could tell it was splitting again. The hover just randomly lost suction. Checked (and replaced) filters and everything, but no difference.

Then we bought a green one. This was rather good at first, but again, the pipe split. Got another replacement. Then that started loosing suction too. Eventually it made a big crunch, smoke started pouring out of it and it didn't suck at all.

My grandparents gave us their green one, which was problem-less for over 6 months. But then the belt to the brushes at the bottom started rubbing against the plastic, causing a horrid burning smell. The belt eventually snapped, so we bought a new one. Fitted that, and that done the same thing 2 weeks later.

We just gave up and bought this Bissell 6 months ago, and it sucks better than all the Dysons put together. Just vacuuming the front room nearly fills it up 1/3. :eek:

Although, it seems you have a decent Dyson there, so enjoy it (if it lasts...).

We've had a DC09 Animal for the past 4 or 5 years and its worked faultlessly. It vacuums all three floors of our house every other day and fills it's dust canister everytime (2x dogs!). The only issue i have with it is, as James pointed out above, the flexible hose split near where it attaches to the plastic connector at the top. A length of duct tape solved the issue until it split further and i just replaced the hose (£22). They come apart easily so maintenance is really simple. When the time comes i'll replace it with another Dyson without even looking at another brand. In the time we've had ours, my mother-in-law has gone through 5 vacuum cleaners of various makes, Hoover, Bosch, Electrolux etc and she probably only has to use hers once or twice a week.

We are on our 2nd Dyson now! our first lasted around 4 years before the motor clapped out! and they are powerful but they have weaknesses .. mainly the hose and the splits you get with it and also the bottom of the plastic bucket is easily cracked and will need replacing regularly if anyone heavy handed is emptying it :dopey:
but for sheer suction these things could rip floor tiles up given a loose end and dont use them with small pets walking around or its curtains :lol:

Is it just me or do the new Dyson's make a horrible whistling sound through the top of the handle where the hand attachment is? I know they have a cover that slides over the top but it seems to be really loud.

My problem with the Dysons has to do with that clear bucket all the dust and crap goes into.

It looks great, I'm sure, until the first time you use it. After that, it's permanently going to have disgusting dusty crap all over the inside of it. I know my Hoover looks pretty bad, and it was molded in dust-grey plastic to begin with!

My problem with the Dysons has to do with that clear bucket all the dust and crap goes into.

It looks great, I'm sure, until the first time you use it. After that, it's permanently going to have disgusting dusty crap all over the inside of it. I know my Hoover looks pretty bad, and it was molded in dust-grey plastic to begin with!

Actually, you can remove it and wash it out with water. I have mine looking new again after rinsing.

Is it just me or do the new Dyson's make a horrible whistling sound through the top of the handle where the hand attachment is? I know they have a cover that slides over the top but it seems to be really loud.

They only do that if the handle part is upright, which is where it's supposed to be if you've removed the hose and are using the had attachment to reach stairs or furniture etc. If you're using it normally then you're supposed to step on the front to tilt the handle backwards towards you so you can push it around. As soon as you tilt them backwards, suction is cut off from the handle and directed to the floor brush area, and the whistling noise ceases.
I can only imagine how tall you must be if you're able to push the thing around with the handle still in the upright position!!! :lol:

So it would hold up in a carpeted office late night and quite brutal I might add office cleaning job? The people that work there are slobs, and my piece of crap Dirt Devil barely gets the job done. (I'm not a janitor, maybe)

So it would hold up in a carpeted office late night and quite brutal I might add office cleaning job? The people that work there are slobs, and my piece of crap Dirt Devil barely gets the job done. (I'm not a janitor, maybe)

You type like one. :lol:

Yeah, this thing is carpet pwnage. If you want one, just bill it to your office. :)

They only do that if the handle part is upright, which is where it's supposed to be if you've removed the hose and are using the had attachment to reach stairs or furniture etc. If you're using it normally then you're supposed to step on the front to tilt the handle backwards towards you so you can push it around. As soon as you tilt them backwards, suction is cut off from the handle and directed to the floor brush area, and the whistling noise ceases.
I can only imagine how tall you must be if you're able to push the thing around with the handle still in the upright position!!! :lol:

I think mine must broken because it seems to make a loud whitsling noise all the time, even when you take it out of the upright position. I'm going to get that checked out as it's only a year old and the warranty will cover it.

I've heard alot of bad things about Dyson build quality with their latest models. And you guys have just reinforced it. Little things I know, but you don't expect there to be major design floors in something marketed as so innovative and quite expensive.

My Mum has given up on Dyson. I think she has just bought a new hoover which has the "easy empty" dust box. Can't remember what it's called though.

I've a purple DC05 with the Motorhead brush. We (at the time) needed something that would pick up all the 🤬 cat hair. This thing did the job, and more.

Five years on, it's still going strong. Strange how I got it really (meaning: the cat and the girlfriend are long gone) I must have been quite attached to it. (Eeewww! Not that way!)

V.

Back