Value of my car and Datsun's

I'm trying to sell my 93' maxima which has a broken rear window (the one that doesn't move and smaller one), no front bumper, some dents, the speedometer doesn't work, the mileage stop counting for a while and was maybe trying to expect about $1000. Am i close to around where it should costs?

I'm trying to get 82' 280z, though the problem is my family is telling me that's it a stupid idea because more than likely the engine will be not good no matter what because it was built in 82'. I found one for 1500 and fallen in love with the car. Are they right the the engine will be bad regardless? Thanks

$1k is a little low. I'd list it at $1600 and hope you get lucky - if someone offers $1000, tell them $1300 and maybe you'll make a couple extra bucks.

Don't get a car that's more than 12 years old unless you REALLY know car maintenance.

Old cars aren't that hard to maintain over time, as anything that goes wrong with them can be fixed by a good backyard mechanic. BUT you will spend a lot initially getting it to the point wherein your problems are minor ones. Depending on what it needs, you may need to overhaul/rebuild the engine and/or carbs, fix rust in the body, check the suspension and reinforce it, etc... you may get lucky and the engine won't need anything for a while, but then again, you may not.

Don't get an old car unless you have another one for a daily driver, because it'll spend some time in the garage before you can use it regularly, and it'll spend a week or two in there once every few months after that.

good advise all round.

old cars are simpler to diagnose, usually have no dubious "check engine" lights to confound, confuse and scare you, and tend to have more intensive maintenance.

they seem to be sturdier tome, like an old fashioned uncomfortable oak chair. you know its not going to break but its not the easiest to sit on.

i rather like my 15 year old benz; 300E 2.6. expensive parts and repairs, but once fixed it remains fixed. it is dead smooth at idle, lopes along easily at freeway speeds, gets up to 100plus in a hurry and is rock steady when there, stable as a tank, and built like one.

and with an interior that still looks new 15 years later.

Back