Various graphical problems..

  • Thread starter Thread starter plastik2k10
  • 9 comments
  • 1,242 views
Messages
52
I'm not really sure what's wrong with my game, but the graphics are just awful. Firstly, the premium cars look only slightly better than the standard cars. The textures are really poor, and all of them have reasonably bad jagged edges.

In fact just about every texture in the game looks badly stretched; in the interior of a premium car for example, the permanent dashboard text (for speed etc) is almost unreadable because the texture is just blurry.

Tracks look awful; the grass texture is incredibly bright green and looks completely out of place, trackside objects look like something from a PS2 game, distant things ahead flicker like crazy, and shadows are like some kind of electrical plasma that don't represent the shape of the car they are shadowing.

In photo mode, the cars look far better once a photo is taken, but the photos in general are horrible because the environment has terrible textures and low-poly models it seems.

I've just seen the trailer for this game on TV, standard definition, and it looks miles better than what I'm seeing. I've seen screenshots that look better than what I'm seeing. And the same for Youtube videos.

I've tried different resolutions, different settings in game, nothing seems to help. My flatmate walked in yesterday and pretty much laughed at how bad it looked, which finally made me realise something is wrong.

So my question is, what can I do to fix this, if anything? And what is wrong?
 
My only complaint is the car shadows and the low frame rate at Monza
 
So my question is, what can I do to fix this, if anything? And what is wrong?
There's little, if anything, that can be done - most of the issues you are reporting (like jagged edges, particularly on shadows) have been experienced by most. Likewise the overly-green grass. There may be small things you can do for the others, but several of the problems you've listed have been reported by all.
 
Welcome to the club...
 
I looks like the graphics are toned down like in GT5 PSP just to get 60 frames on the PS3. I first was shocked too by the graphics and the look of the premium cars ingame, but got used to it. Looks like the PS3 cant do better.

Not the best looking game of this generation, but i still love it.
 
The GPU in the PS3 has very little dedicated graphics memory. That's why they must use heavily compressed textures, which tends to make things blurry. AA is no option, if you want to maintain a bearable frame rate. Furthermore, as I understood, AA is relatively expensive with the PS3. I really wish this game were released for the PC.

Oh yeah, one more thing. There's an option, in the graphics settings, for "reducing flicker" or some such. I tried it but didn't really see a difference.
 
I looks like the graphics are toned down like in GT5 PSP just to get 60 frames on the PS3. I first was shocked too by the graphics and the look of the premium cars ingame, but got used to it. Looks like the PS3 cant do better.

Not the best looking game of this generation, but i still love it.

I would go for even less impressive graphics for the sake of improved frame rate. The drops are substatial.
 
Hmm.. well it just seems bizarre that the premium cars can be so.. well, bad, after all the hype they received. I mean, sure, you can see how amazing they actually look in photo mode, but if they seem to be downscaled, slightly blurry, jagged things in the actual game then I don't really see the point.

And then you compare them to the track, and it's like they mashed two games together; a Japanese arcade racer with a realistic driving simulator. It just doesn't feel right. In fact I feel more comfortable driving the standard cars sometimes because they don't seem so out of place.

EDIT: Just to say though, I'm still enjoying the game, getting used to the graphics and all. I was just curious to whether this was only a problem for me because I hadn't seen it mentioned.
 
I've noticed all of those things plus screen tearing. I am very disappointed.
 
I remember how people complaining about the youtube videos were shouted down with "its only youtube!" and "thats not HD!" Welll the problems are still there, only even more clear as we're seeing the problems in true HD and not through a tiny youtube window.

*sigh*
 
Back