Varying standards of safety in motorsport

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike Rotch
  • 48 comments
  • 9,523 views
Any series internationally sanctioned by the FIA requires it.

Ah, that clears that up. Didn't realise it was now an FIA-wide requirement!
 
Yeah, something didn't seem right there. This is what happens when we pretend were doctors...
 
maximumattack
Have you got that right? Men don't have a cervix.

Yeah, something didn't seem right there. This is what happens when we pretend were doctors...

Yeah, very funny :D

It did kill him though... so some people might not like that kind of schoolboy humour.
 
To clarify I just texted (is that the right past tense?) my sister.

She's a paramedic and confirmed that I definitely got the right word.

Crews refer to certain injury sets as 'UTC's, specifically Upper Thoratic Cervical. Maybe US schools teach English without the Latin roots? :D
 
Not wishing to get OT here but if you did an image search of a cervix I bet that's not the thing that you are talking about.
 
Not wishing to get OT here but if you did an image search of a cervix I bet that's not the thing that you are talking about.

I imagine you're talking about the uterine cervix? Women have two cervices, men have one. A cervical injury would normally be taken to mean an injury to the neck unless you specifically go to a gynae specialist.

Note to self: don't go to Google Images for medical advice :D
 
I suppose Wikipedia is talking nonsense as well is it :rolleyes:
 
No need to have an attitude over such an irrelevant and minor point. 👎

There's no attitude here from me Ardius, no need to police the thread over something that someone else said…
 
There's no attitude here from me Ardius, no need to police the thread over something that someone else said…

Chill out, Max!

The fact is that my reference to neck loads in a crash as cross-cervical (or across the cervix) was correct. Go and check a dictionary and you'll see that the primary definition of cervix is the neck. The secondary is a neck-like section of an organ.

I guess that Google Image search distracted you for too long :D
 
Chill out, Max!

The fact is that my reference to neck loads in a crash as cross-cervical (or across the cervix) was correct. Go and check a dictionary and you'll see that the primary definition of cervix is the neck. The secondary is a neck-like section of an organ.

I guess that Google Image search distracted you for too long :D


Guys, honestly, I'm really not that fussed about it. I did take your advice & look it up in a few dictionaries though & the primary definition is different to what you say. I really don't need to debate with you about where you will find a cervix. To me a neck is a neck & a lady part is a lady part.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cervix

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/cervix?q=cervix

I only checked into GtPlanet yesterday after a long absence to see what's occuring & I seem to have been discussing medical terminology more than motorsport, I might head off to the BUPA forums to discuss Lewis Hamiltons start to the 2011 season after this.

I do hope we can discuss motorsport together in the future, but for this discussion - I'm out.


Peace

:gtpflag:
 
I only checked into GtPlanet yesterday after a long absence to see what's occuring & I seem to have been discussing medical terminology more than motorsport, I might head off to the BUPA forums to discuss Lewis Hamiltons start to the 2011 season after this.

I do hope we can discuss motorsport together in the future, but for this discussion - I'm out.
Which is whose fault? No one was bothered about it until you brought it up. I'm quite happy knowing that a cervix is a ladies body part, and a cervical fracture is a broken neck. I've never heard cervix to describe the neck as it's always been cervical something but it doesn't really matter for this discussion.

-------------

Now, back on topic.
 
This is an interesting link. F1 fans will most likely be familiar with the name of Dr. Sid Watkins - he's one of the people who instilled a right-and-proper sense of safety into the sport.

The Watkins Lecture sounds like it's well worth attending - I might have to look at my diary for January 2012!
 
The safer racing gets, the less interesting it gets. Not to say I want to see total carnage, but if there is no risk anymore, there is no reward.

vemp_1103_08+dick_guldstrand.jpg


'Hours later, Wintersteen accelerated onto the banking while a Morgan Plus 4 decelerated in front of him. The resulting accident damaged the front of the Corvette (February 5, 1966). According to Guldstrand, the team replaced the car's damaged radiator with one from a street Corvette located in the spectator's parking lot, and he drove his portion of the race with two flashlights taped to the fenders-not for useful illumination, but enough to avoid disqualification. He continued the race by following the taillights of the Ferrari team car, and by doing so broke the GT record, finished First in the GT class, and placed 11th overall. '
 
...According to Guldstrand, the team replaced the car's damaged radiator with one from a street Corvette located in the spectator's parking lot, and he drove his portion of the race with two flashlights taped to the fenders-not for useful illumination, but enough to avoid disqualification....

They were the days... when men were men and walls were nervous :D
 
For those who think Formula 1 is too safe. I would recommend giving this video a watch, from the era when death was prolific in the sport.

 
Back