Venting Frustration

United States
Ohio
IceManPJN
IceMan PJN
I'm seriously unhappy and trying my best to watch my language because I'd have used half a dozen profanities by now.

Okay, Gran Turismo is a has-been. Millions of GT fans have accepted that reality by now. Like many, after GT5 I was done with the franchise. Before GT6 came out I played the demo, yawned to death, and passed on the sixth iteration of mediocrity.

I haven't even booted my PS3 since the GT6 demo several years back. I hate the whole PlayStation line, to be perfectly honest. Their controllers have always been a cobbled mess and the only reason anybody defends them is that's what they're used to. For my PS3 I bought assorted third-party controllers to replace an as-new DualShart 3 just to get a left stick in the right place, concave triggers, and proper grips that felt like I was actually holding something and not just cupping someone's "attachments", as David Hobbs puts it. My 360's updates were a few seconds of downloading and installing a handful of megs while my PS3 always seemed to want a several-terabyte update to make miniscule changes.

Well..., I booted my PS3 for the first time in several years because I bought GT6. I didn't get it for GT6, but in spite of GT6. The singular reason for getting it was Track Path Editor. All I wanted was to make my own tracks. Had GT6 not had that, I'd still not have bought it. I have no interest in the rest of the game because it's just Gran Turismo, which is a mixer bag of some good and lots of bad.

I still haven't played it. It spent five or six hours updating GT6..., after the eight-terabyte PS3 update. I checked on it and it was finally installing and said eight minutes remained. Maybe ten minutes later it said five minutes remained. A while later it was still five minutes. It was unresponsive. The power button didn't even work so I couldn't even power it down. I turned off the surge protector to cut the power to the frozen, unresponsive PS3.

I'll try again some other time but Sony and PD can both bite me. They're both just terrible. It really solidifies my love of Xbox and Forza.

I hate the whole PlayStation line, to be perfectly honest. Their controllers have always been a cobbled mess and the only reason anybody defends them is that's what they're used to.

True. I'm used to them and more so after trying a 3rd party Xbox style controller and finding my thumb needed to relearn how to steer all over again. I guess that's the price you pay for only ever owning Playstations. Zero problems with the triggers though as I find them very comfortable and responsive.

(I bought another DS3 as I'm happier with the layout and I've come to trust their durability.)

My 360's updates were a few seconds of downloading and installing a handful of megs while my PS3 always seemed to want a several-terabyte update to make miniscule changes.

A different file system probably gives the Xbox the edge here on speed of install but GT6 came with a lot of extra content in those updates and stretched hardware gets stretched even more with the install process. Perhaps if Forza came with similar sized updates, we'd be able to compare apples to apples.

Well..., I booted my PS3 for the first time in several years because I bought GT6. I didn't get it for GT6, but in spite of GT6. The singular reason for getting it was Track Path Editor. All I wanted was to make my own tracks. Had GT6 not had that, I'd still not have bought it. I have no interest in the rest of the game because it's just Gran Turismo, which is a mixer bag of some good and lots of bad.

You bought the game for the track editor and will no doubt drive a car on it so you'll see how decent the physics is. That physics works on all the other inbuilt tracks. Forget racing the AI. Online's where it's at.

I'm curious on what you find good and bad in the game though. Sure, the AI (AI=loosest possible description) is crap but they've got their car to drive and you have yours. It's still possible to enjoy the journey to the finish line regardless.

I still haven't played it. It spent five or six hours updating GT6..., after the eight-terabyte PS3 update. I checked on it and it was finally installing and said eight minutes remained. Maybe ten minutes later it said five minutes remained. A while later it was still five minutes. It was unresponsive. The power button didn't even work so I couldn't even power it down. I turned off the surge protector to cut the power to the frozen, unresponsive PS3.

See the apples to apples paragraph. They take a painfully long time to install and if you interrupt them, you'll likely have to start all over again. Ouch.

I'll try again some other time but Sony and PD can both bite me. They're both just terrible. It really solidifies my love of Xbox and Forza.

Horse's for courses mate. For me, Sony makes the console that PD release on and they have had me enthusiastically paying for each game they release as I know from experience I'll get hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of them.

It was unresponsive. The power button didn't even work so I couldn't even power it down. I turned off the surge protector to cut the power to the frozen, unresponsive PS3.

If you hold the power button for a couple of seconds (until you hear three beeps) it should force the console to turn off, even when it has frozen.

Better luck with the updates next times!

If you hold the power button for a couple of seconds (until you hear three beeps) it should force the console to turn off, even when it has frozen.

Better luck with the updates next times!
I just found out apparently that doesn't always work. When I went to get on GTA5 a couple of nights ago, it had an update. When I hit X, the screen went black and just sat there unresponsive. The PS button on the controller wasn't doing anything, and when I tried to hold in the power button on the console, nothing happened whatsoever. I thought my PS3 had fried on me without warning. I had to physically unplug the power cord from the back of the system and plug it back in. Turned it on and it started up fine. I then went back into GTA5, where I still had to download the update, and everything downloaded and installed without issue. I have no clue what happened.

As for your post, @IceMan PJN, I've seen many people post the same thing about the length of downloading all the updates. I pre-ordered my copy, so I never had to go through that whole process (GT5 was another story). I don't really have any advice other than what I've heard about downloading and installing each update separately. I'm sure that would be extremely time consuming too. Anyway, good luck. 👍

I just found out apparently that doesn't always work. When I went to get on GTA5 a couple of nights ago, it had an update. When I hit X, the screen went black and just sat there unresponsive. The PS button on the controller wasn't doing anything, and when I tried to hold in the power button on the console, nothing happened whatsoever. I thought my PS3 had fried on me without warning. I had to physically unplug the power cord from the back of the system and plug it back in. Turned it on and it started up fine. I then went back into GTA5, where I still had to download the update, and everything downloaded and installed without issue. I have no clue what happened.

As for your post, @IceMan PJN, I've seen many people post the same thing about the length of downloading all the updates. I pre-ordered my copy, so I never had to go through that whole process (GT5 was another story). I don't really have any advice other than what I've heard about downloading and installing each update separately. I'm sure that would be extremely time consuming too. Anyway, good luck. 👍

For updates, it's better to have a wired connection, then install updates one by one. I never had any issue updating GT6, my PS3 connected on 100Mbps LAN to my laptop, and my internet is measly 3Mbps download. Wired connection also more reliable when hosting online lobby.

For updates, it's better to have a wired connection, then install updates one by one. I never had any issue updating GT6, my PS3 connected on 100Mbps LAN to my laptop, and my internet is measly 3Mbps download. Wired connection also more reliable when hosting online lobby.
Unfortunately I can't wire mine because the router is located on the opposite side of the house and it would be winding through about 4 rooms. :lol: Luckily I've never had any issue updating things on my system. Does it take a little bit longer than I'd like compared to those with a wired connection? Yeah. But aside from GT5, I've never had to download multiple updates at a time, thank goodness. Plus we got a new router in the spring. It's hella fast compared to the old one. :)

Back