Very first try: Toyota MR2 V Edition (J) '02

• Thread starter Niels
  • 2 comments
Netherlands
Netherlands
snorretik
Ok today I had set myself a goal, to tune a particular car seriously for once. I sold all of my cars I had and wanted a fresh new start. This is my first ever tune I did seriously. A nice starter car seemed the Toyota MR2 Spider. I don't know why but my mind immediatly jumped to that car choice when I read Scaff's Manual. It's my first ever time I adjusted the settings based on trial runs, and I got my inspiration from the tutorial of Scaff.

Well then, here are my eventual settings:

Toyota MR2 V Edition (J) '02
Power: 229 BHP
Mass: +/- 920KG

Parts to Buy:
Port Polish
Engine Balance
Racing Exhaust
Racing Chip
NA Stage II
N3 Tyres
Triple Plate Clutch
Semi-Racing Flywheel
Racing Suspension
Brake Balance Controller

---------

Settings:
Brake Balance Controller:
3/4

Suspension Settings:

Spring Rate: 5.8/7.1 (still experimenting)
Ride Height: 101/101
Damper Bounce: 3/3
Damper Rebounce: 4/4
Chamber Angle: 2.5/1.0 (got that tip on a search result, it was supposed to make the car turn-in better. I needed that because I killed the natural turn-in of the car as a side effect of trying to kill the oversteer in mid-corner and corner exits.
Toe angle: 0/0
Stabiliser: 3/3

All aids off!

----

I didn't tune it much further, I think it's kind of fun this way. Don't want to make the car too mechanically enhanced, it feels just right this way.
I am going to try another car soon. But this was so fun to do! And I think IMO this first little tune project of me succeeded 👍 I hope some comments and criticism will follow :) Maybe some competition in different set ups, because it's an awsome car to experiment on!

That's just a personal preference. I really like N3 tyres most of all. Some say N2's are even more realistic but before I tune a car I always convince myself that I walked to a virtual shop and bought nice sporty tyres, with a bit more grip :P

Nah I've always raced on them. But offcourse the tyres shouldn't matter too much on the overall balance of the car. Try it on N2's as well, I dont mind :)
But I don't have any traction problems with the car. It's very well controllable, there's sometimes a bit of lift-off oversteer, but I can't take that away whilst remaining the natural feel of the car.

By the way, I race with a DFP, if that matters :)
To point out the competativeness of the car at these settings, I am able to keep up with the Lotus Motorsport and TVR Cerbera Speed 6 on the El Capitan Endurance Race. Barely, and my speed on the straight lacks terribly compared to the other cars. But my corner speed is sufficient enough for better lap times ^^

Back