Very specific vehicle polls - Episode 1: Instrument cluster lighting

What is your favorite instrumentation lighting color?

• Backlit - Red

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Backlit - Orange

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Backlit - Amber

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Backlit - Yellow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Backlit - White

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Backlit - Blue (VW Color)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Backlit - Cyan (GM Color)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Backlit - Green

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Backlit - Purple

• Frontlit

• Total voters
United States
Marin County
It occurred to me while driving my 986 last night how much I really, really love amber back lighting on gauge clusters. I used to really enjoy red, but approximately 10 years of owning Mazdas has soured me on red a bit. My least favorite is probably early 2000's VW blue....so irritating to drive at night with those deep blue gauges. Anyways, I thought I'd see what other people like, as those I've spoken to IRL seem to have clear preferences. I'm gonna try to get all the general colors knowing there are some further subtle variation. Let me know if I'm missing a color and I'll add it. Depending on how this thread goes...I might make more in the future.

Note the front lit option has no color, as I've never in my life seen a front lit cluster with anything other than white light.

Went for green, because that's the colour of my Eunos Roadster's gauges and interior lighting, but really I don't have much of a preference - I find the actual layout and clarity of the gauges more instrumental in how much I enjoy driving with them in the background. Ideally they need an easy way to adjust the illumination though, because overly bright instruments at night and overly dim during the day can both be irritating.

Trying to remember which cars' clusters might have been my favourites overall though, which is a bit difficult given the hundreds of cars I've driven... there's something very special about a great night-time ambience.

I went with orange, since my family drives almost esclusively BMWs and i quite like it
It is really a nice color, it doesn't strain the eye too much at night, but i'm fond of the green lighting that i had on my old Punto, that was really simple and really 90's :D

I voted red. I find it the best when away from city lights. It's the most easy-going dark-feel dash lighting to me. My second favorite is orange, because it blends seamlessly with orange city lights.

BMW's signature reddish orange is nice, I liked that in my E30, and I like the sporty white+red theme in the BL6. Both are easy on the eyes, and I also find the BL6's colors and displays reminiscent of Enthusia and a quality of "JDMness", which contributes to make it feel special. I also like the green in the Forester and my previous Legacy, which is kind of relaxing hue.

I voted for blue because I think that's what I'd prefer if I had a choice, though I feel like anything different from what you're used to is nice once in a while.

I picked green as that's what I've been used to. The lighting in my cars is a very pale green, closer to white actually but still with a noticable green tint on it - not the bright green like this, that would be quite horrible actually. This video captures the lighting quite well, the rest of the quality sucks though.

Back