Vettel X2010 Red Bull Challange with Controller Buttons

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oyashiro-sama
  • 15 comments
  • 3,492 views
Messages
320
Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Ok, I know, someone just kill me for creating another thread about this topic. :yuck:

The things is, I am using the Dual Shock 3 (DS3 for short). Worst yet, I suck with the analog sticks so I use the left/right buttons and square and X (<- -> [] X) :indiff:

And so, this challenge as been hell for me. As someone who likes to get everything gold, it's killing me. :ouch: I can't remember about GT2 and GT3, but I got all gold in licenses and races in GT4 (except 24h endurances), all gold in GT5 Prologue, and all Gold in GT5 (except some endurances as I am waiting for the update and, of course, the damned Vettel challenge). So I think I am a good driver/player...:sly: (maybe). And yes, I don't want to spend about 100€ for a wheel just for this challenge. :scared:

I got bronze in the 3 races and I think I can get gold on Monza (maybe after 9999 tries - I already made 2:08 with lots of mistakes. My best 1st lap was 2:05 and my best second lap was 2:02, but I think I can get the 2:04 mark). :nervous:

So my question is: did anyone get gold using the controller pad buttons?
I know people claimed to have won gold in all tracks using DS3. Some are obviously lying because before the sensitivity patch it was simply IMPOSSIBLE! :grumpy: But I think some are telling the truth, but as far as I know, I think they are using the sticks.

Without BULL****TING, is it possible to get gold on Nur and Suzuka with the buttons?
 
Some have, I'm not sure if they used the digital pad though. I'm in the same boat as you, except I even have a wheel. I find some challenges easier with the controller still, actually, but definitely not the X2010. I'm also more a fan of the digital pad than the analog, too. I find my best times are with all digital with occasional swaps to analog turning during a race when it's a long, slight turn. Still not a prayer with the X2010, though. I'm also 10 seconds off the GT-R record, still. Those and two of the Touring events are the only things I have left for all the trophies (still 0.9 off in the stupid Aston Martin after probably 15 hours of trying and can't catch 1st for the life of me in the Lambo at night).
 
Some have, I'm not sure if they used the digital pad though. I'm in the same boat as you, except I even have a wheel. I find some challenges easier with the controller still, actually, but definitely not the X2010. I'm also more a fan of the digital pad than the analog, too. I find my best times are with all digital with occasional swaps to analog turning during a race when it's a long, slight turn. Still not a prayer with the X2010, though. I'm also 10 seconds off the GT-R record, still. Those and two of the Touring events are the only things I have left for all the trophies (still 0.9 off in the stupid Aston Martin after probably 15 hours of trying and can't catch 1st for the life of me in the Lambo at night).

Yep, the lambo and GT-R are difficult ones. I had to use the anti-skid assist in some challenges (although, yep, I hate that - it's like cheating - I just used it as a last resort).

I just golded Monza using the DS3 digital buttons. It takes a bit of luck to do that. But I can give you guys some tips if you want to. :)

Now, I am on Nur. The best overall time I got is 2:09:900. Still 0.4 to silver. The best lap I could do is 1:04:700. If we do the math, I'm confident I can get silver with a little luck and 999 tries (whatever I do, most of my lap times are 1:05:xxx). I feel that getting silver in this one is at the same difficulty of getting gold on Monza... so how is it possible to get gold in this one? :banghead:

Any trick on this one?
 
i use the Dpad.. ive used this method on all the other gran turismo games.. the only other time were i found it difficult 2 use was the nascar event. but the SV Challenge seems impossible :S. ive tryd all the other car option settings advised and still endup short.. thinking bout buyin a wheel 4 it..
 
I'm using x and [] but i use the stick for steering. I Have 2 golds and a silver at suzuka as you can see in my sig. Cost me hours to get the silvers and golds. respect for you guys trying with the dpad buttons.
 
Yeah I have a lot of respect for you guys getting gold with a D-pad if you had a wheel I can only imagine how fast you would be. I use a wheel but when I use a DS3 I use analog sticks both steering and throttle/braking. it's hard but I think with some luck and some cheating like at Monza cut the corners just do everything you can to get gold. That's all I can say I have been lazy haven't attempted the X2010 challenge I still need to finish some other seasonal events...
 
I'm actually slower with the wheel in some cases. The turn action, lock to lock, is actually faster with 7 sensitivity than with using a real wheel, especially fighting the force feedback. One example would be the first chicane on Monza. I can never do that faster with the DFGT than the DS3 when using the X2010.
 
ABS 10= more speed...no joke

Reading the description, this is unsurprising (for some courses). The description says it gives more turning grip all the way up, sacrificing straight line stop distance. For a very technical course with lots of turns and few straight aways, it makes sense.
 
In Monza it's better to use ABS=1. In Nur, I'm using ABS=10 which works better in this track (in some corners it's not as good as ABS=1, but overall it's better).

I finally got silver in Nur (2:09.100). But I can't get closer to gold (2:08.000). To have gold you have to do (at least) a lap under 1:04.000, and the best I could do was 1:04.300, and it's hard as hell. I can frequently do lap times of 1:04.700. I do not know how to driver better than that, as I already reached Vettel's times and my limit.

Someone can help? Is there any trick? Where am I going to slow? My best sector times are:
00.19.600 (usually 00.20.000)
00.33.800 (usually 00.34.500)
00.48.900 (usually 00.49.700)
01.04.300 (usually 01.04.800)

For the guys trying Monza (sensibility=7 is a must - get used to it. Skid=on, ABS=1 and I used AT):
1st chicane: break at the 100 sign on the first lap and 150 on the second. You can do this always on 2nd gear, but I think that actually putting a high 1st is better.
Then full speed ahead through the long open right corner. If you screw in this part of the course, you need to get used to the sensibility of the pad.
2nd chicane: Break at the 100 sign. Try to reduce the breaking length as much as you can. Cut the chicane but careful not to hit the right blocks or steeping on the sand on the left. After a while you will learn how to greatly get closer to Vettel in this section. This section must became your friend after awhile ;)
Now the 1st right corner: Try late breaking. If you use the best trajectory line, try approaching a little bit to the middle of the track and turning just a little bit after the line. You must do this one using the 3rd or 4th gear.
The second right corner is easy, but if you do bad here, you will loose a lot of time. Try using a high 3rd gear and start accelerating as soon as possible. Careful with the sand.
The 3rd chicane is the anti-Christ. You must break after passing the last bridge-like add. You have to be careful not to turn more than you actually need. After exiting this chicane you must be on a high 4th gear or 5th.
The last corner is actually easy after you get used to it. Break until you reach 4th gear and when you can (might go a bit without breaking or accelerating), give it full throttle.

Tips:
1-Use the best trajectory line. But just to get reference points, as the line far from being the best trajectory, and the breaking points are not even close.

2-Try approaching every corner/chicane the most stably you can (going on a straight line and breaking on a straight line). If you use the trajectory line, try going parallel to it it, a little bit more to the center of the track. You don't want to step on the grass while breaking.

3-You can get ahead Vettel, but that's not necessary to get gold.

4-If you are getting close to gold, you will be super stressed up. Put your favorite music and don't set the volume to high. I even needed to hide all information (track, times, vettel's shadow, everything out). You don't want to get stressed when you are too close or ahead of Vettel. Also, get as comfortable as you can (don't use shoes, jeans...). Remain calm

5-Practice, practice, practice. If you do a bad corner, do not reset. Try going a bit faster on the next one to see the limits of each corner. Don't spend to much time (just two hours at a time), but do not spend just 15minutes each time, as that won't be enough to get used to it.

Hope it helps, and that someone will help me on Nur.
 
I used analog sticks for steering/throttle. L2/R2 for changing gears and it was a piece of piss (kind of). Got Monza gold and silvered Nurburgring and Suzuka.
 
i use the Dpad.. ive used this method on all the other gran turismo games.. the only other time were i found it difficult 2 use was the nascar event. but the SV Challenge seems impossible :S. ive tryd all the other car option settings advised and still endup short.. thinking bout buyin a wheel 4 it..

Turning the driving line on, helped me gold SV with a DS3. Hope this helps:tup:
 
Thanks for tips for Monza,but how to turn off Vettels ghost car/shadow?
 
usually up on the d-pad removes/displays your ghost but I don't think you can remove the ones in the special events D:
 
really though, a lot of the special events expect you to nail every turn pretty much as well as you possibly can, because once you gold it you never have to do it again :P
 
Thanks for tips for Monza,but how to turn off Vettels ghost car/shadow?

Yes, you can turn off Vettel's shadow. By default is the up arrow of the controller. But you can re-assign the button on the option's menu.

And I think I have to give up on getting gold on Nur. It's way to much for me. As I said, my best lap is still 2:09.100 and it's hell just to get near it. In Monza I started winning silvers at almost every try I did, but in Nur, it's hard as hell to get silver - in a lot of tries, only got silver twice. Even with all the training I did in Monza and my ability to precisely control the car, it's still out of my league.

I am confident I could eventually pass the 2:09.000 barrier, but the 2:08.000 is damn impossible for me. I can't do a lap time lesser than 2:04.250, so mathematically, it's simply impossible for me... 👎
 
Back