Vid settings: give these a go!

Hey fellow petrolheads! :dopey:

I discovered this by chance, and it almost changed the look of FM4. Made it look more like FM3 and GT5! I gaurantee these TV settings will permanently get rid of that super-saturated ultra bright look that plagues F4. You'll immediately notice how tracks like Laguna and Nurb. GP look more photorealistic, with natural contrast levels. Gone is the giant spotlight! Without further ado:

* Make sure your TV's picture mode is set to Standard/Normal

* Set in game brightness to 45

* Your TV's contrast at 60

* Color at 48

* Brightness at 58

* Sharpness at 6 (Out of 20 levels. Most gamers prefer keeping this off)

* Backlight as low as possible (in a dark room, ideally at 0)

You can toy around with brightness, color and sharpness according to your taste, but keep the picture mode, ingame brightness, and TV contrast level at exactly these levels.

Give these a go, I promise you won't regret it!

Cheers then! :)

Edit: Ah yes, forgot to mention - keep color space on Auto, Reference levels at Standard. <-- Very important!

Last edited:
No siree, these will work on ALL TVs. On LCDs and LEDs anyway, don't know about Plasmas.

That's why I recommended playing around with the brightness and color to suit your viewing pleasure. The thing with FM4 is, it's quite sensitive to black/white crush, particularly white crush.

The "normal/standard" picture mode takes care of the white crush and oversaturated colors. While toning down the games brightness to 45, makes the colors look more natural and photorealistic. Cinema will yield brighter colors, since it's Forza we're talking about. Otherwise, for all other games I would recommend the Cinema picture mode. Yields accurate colors as well as blacks/greys/whites. Dynamic is out of the question of course. So standard works rather well in this case.

I urge you to give these settings a try. See how the blacks and whites look. Get back to me will ya?

BTW, the color, contrast and brightness setting values are out of 100, just so you know.

Don't forget to keep the color space and ref. level settings in mind!

From what I remember, not all TV's are on a 1-100 point scale. You should use percentage's instead of exact numbers.

Still, I dont get why you think these are going to work on every TV out there. My friends TV looks vastly different then mine with unchanged settings.

Speedster911
No siree, these will work on ALL TVs. On LCDs and LEDs anyway, don't know about Plasmas.

That's why I recommended playing around with the brightness and color to suit your viewing pleasure. The thing with FM4 is, it's quite sensitive to black/white crush, particularly white crush.

The "normal/standard" picture mode takes care of the white crush and oversaturated colors. While toning down the games brightness to 45, makes the colors look more natural and photorealistic. Cinema will yield brighter colors, since it's Forza we're talking about. Otherwise, for all other games I would recommend the Cinema picture mode. Yields accurate colors as well as blacks/greys/whites. Dynamic is out of the question of course. So standard works rather well in this case.

I urge you to give these settings a try. See how the blacks and whites look. Get back to me will ya?

BTW, the color, contrast and brightness setting values are out of 100, just so you know.

Don't forget to keep the color space and ref. level settings in mind!

All TVs, even same makes, and belive it or not even same models have very different colour, gamma, brightness variances!
Where your TV is in your house and the light levels of your room are all different and affect the image.

You cannot apply these settings to other TVs!
Only people that apply those settings with your particular model will look similar, not the same, similar!

Why do you think people pay lots of money to have their TV professionally calibrated if all you need to do is apply some settings off the internet?

I know you are only trying to help people but it just doesn't work like that my friend!

Last edited:
Them settings will only work on your TV model though.

This is correct. There is no universal standard for what is an optimal setting for all televisions. This is why there are boards that post model-specific settings, because optimal settings are model-specific.

Ideally you should turn off all processing like Dynamic contrast, black tone, noise reduction, edge enhancement and definitely any 100/200/600Hz motion.
Game mode will sharpen up responses and should be on, on most TV's.

If you have a Samsung TV connect the console to the HDMI port named "HDMI/DVI" on the back on your TV (HDMI 3 on mine) then edit your input name to "PC"
This puts your TV in PC mode and shuts off all processing for the quickest response possible.

Here are tricks and tips for other makes like LG, Sony, Panasonic etc http://www.displaylag.com/how-to-enable-game-mode-on-your-hdtv/

Find your TV in www.hdtvtest.co.uk and read through the review, at the end it gives you optimal settings for movie/tv watching which is a great start;-)

This is how you should have written your settings, but even then its going to be way off on some TVs

* Make sure your TV's picture mode is set to Standard/Normal

* Set in game brightness to around 50%

* Your TV's contrast at around 60%

* Color at around 50%

* Brightness at around 60%

* Sharpness at around 25% (Most gamers prefer keeping this off)

* Backlight as low as possible (in a dark room, ideally at 0)

keep color space on Auto, Reference levels at Standard. <-- Very important!

Last edited:
Great! Thanks for the links.

And yes, every TV has different color spectrums and greys/blacks. Of course. Should have posted percentages.

BTW, the game's internal brightness control should NOT exceed 45. That's when things start to look a bit washed out. Instead use the TV's brightness setting to adjust according to viewing pleasure.

All enhancements OFF, naturally.

Worth putting out there I think.

While the exact settings may not yield a very much improved or desired result, something close to it will definitely change the way Forza looks. Gives it that photo-realistic wow factor.

So experiment away ye motorheads!

Back