Vintage Rally Testing

• Thread starter CC570
  • 19 comments
United States
Pennsylvania, USA
cc570
Testing of cars and format. Attempting a rally format with an event consisting of stages. Drivers in a rally race against the clock rather than against each other, being set off at intervals. The intensity comes from getting the most out of the car without losing control of it.
We are hoping to simulate a rally within the capabilities GT affords us, we will also employ a novel scoring system.

Events would put two cars in competition with each driver using each car for a run at each stage.
Points will be counted towards manufacturer and driver competition.

Cars for this beta test will be the Renault R8 and the Nissan Bluebird rally car.
Time and interest permitting:
Marcos Mini and the Lotus Europa s2 (not the special)

There will be three stages:snow, dirt, and tarmac.
Two runs on each circuit: one with each car.
Each "run" consists of a short qualifying session followed by a one lap race. Qualifying length chosen to allow for up to three qualifying laps. Race start is slowest first.
Points given for both qualifying and race.
Comfort hard tires for the tarmac stages. Damage heavy.

A driver earns points equal to their finishing position: first gets 1 point, second 2 points, etc.
Points will be weighted to favor qualifying.

Depending on how the races run we may force spacing at the start of the race. This will be done at the discretion of the organizer.

In this case drivers do not move until the race timer hits their starting position.

The first driver begins when the race timer hits one second, the second driver begins when the race timer hits two seconds, and so on. So for example if you are in the eighth position on the grid you begin when the race timer hit eight seconds.

Contact between drivers will be seriously discouraged.
It is incumbent on the overtaking driver to pass without making contact.

Any contact created by an overtaking driver or by any driver re-entering the course will result in a loss of all points earned in that run.

Drivers best run in a stage counts towards rally championship.

When:

Wednesday, Jan 29th
19:00 UTC (GMT Zulu time)
02:00pm - 04:00pm US EST / 07:00pm - 09:00pm GMT

Where:

Public room. Number to be posted in thread when opened.

How:

Get the cars painted and an oil change, oh and buy the appropriate tires.

Last edited:
I'm in but one problem I don't believe you can't paint the cars and actually I know you can't paint the gordini. Also can I add you on psn so I can just search under friend only rooms? Thanks

I'm in but one problem I don't believe you can't paint the cars and actually I know you can't paint the gordini. Also can I add you on psn so I can just search under friend only rooms? Thanks
Add away and you're correct: you can't paint the R8 and the Bluebird. But you can paint the others.:)

Oh right the others :dunce:. I'm confused. For the lotus are you sure you mean élan and not Europa there is an élan s1 but no s2 but there is a Europa s2 and you said not the special and there is a Europa special?

Oh right the others :dunce:. I'm confused. For the lotus are you sure you mean élan and not Europa there is an élan s1 but no s2 but there is a Europa s2 and you said not the special and there is a Europa special?
Corrected Europa s2

This looks really interesting, I love the concept 👍. Meant to be at a Mazda Enduro race tomorrow - but if that falls through then I'd be very happy to lend a hand testing if you would be interested in me doing some.

I've got the 4 cars ready to go.

That's not to say I'm ready to drive them properly. :lol:

(rally not being my strong suit... i tend to get stuck in the corners - that said, I don't tend to make contact because I'm lucky if I see any cars up ahead in the distance :lol:)

I'm no good at rallying either. I'll get my cars ready before the event for sure but they are not ready now

daddyo845
watermelonpunch
John Wells
go6
MC-Chase

I've come up with results using a proprietary, needlessly complicated formula *, both with and without penalties for contact.

Without penalties:

@daddyo845 .2551
@CC570 .208
@watermelonpunch .0833
@John Wells .03205

With penalties

@CC570 .208
@daddyo845 .130
@watermelonpunch .0830
@John Wells .0321

* Raw score for a run is simply the position you finished then the qualifying score is multiplied by three and added to the race score. For each stage we choose the best score (lowest total) of the two runs for each driver. We then take the reciprocal of each stage score and multiply the resulting scores (one for each stage for each driver) to get the total score.
The penalty imposed for contact was that the offending driver scored one more point than the number of entrants for that race.

Complicated enough? No? Okay, multiply the final score by one hundred to get rid of some leading zeros.

BTW a perfect score would be 1.56

Last edited:
Back