• Thread starter Grand Prix
  • 21 comments

Grand Prix

The Nut Behind the Wheel
Premium
Canada
Vancouver, BC
GTP_Grand_Prix
I've been fooling around with the Course Maker for a few days with the specific intent of creating tracks with an older feel. The theme that works best for these I think is Toscana, with its vast expanses, undulating hills and lack of rumble strips.

I got something close to this shape one time:

Original Spa-Francorchamps
trk_spa.jpg

14.50 km (9.06 miles)

However, when I went to change one section to better resemble the section before Malmedy, it just would not let me. I tried all the different combinations of complexity and sharpness and it would always result in a different circuit. Creating a straight section as long as the Masta Straight with the famous Masta Kink, is going to be difficult also. In fact I couldn't change any of the sections' complexity without resulting in a different track.

With the way the topography played out, a realistic Eau Rogue was also out of the question, at least the first time I encountered that layout.

I think the settings I used were: 8 complexity for all 7 sections, -5 sharpness for all 7 sections. These will result in a lot of tracks with that vintage circuit feel, actually. 👍

Other tracks I've been trying to recreate:

Bremgarten
trk_bern.jpg

Length: 7.28 km (4.52 miles)

Reims
trk_reims.jpg

Length: 7.83 km (4.86 miles) Should be easy to make, yeah?

Tripoli
trk_tripolia.jpg

A bit on the long side for GT's Course Maker, 13.14 km (8.14 miles)

Pescara
trk_pescara.jpg

Very long, :lol:, 25.80 km (16.03 miles)

If you have created something with that vintage look, feel free to share! 👍 :D

The closest I could get to Reims:

Reims_Course_Maker.jpg

Total length is pretty close! Although it's not an exact copy, it does have all of the elements of the real Reims from the 1920s to '50s: Three mega long straights, tight right-hander hairpins, and a dangerous S curve. If only we could race this online, the slipstream battles would be glorious. :drool:

Are you listening Kazunori? I heard the Mark 2 GT40 won the 12 Hours de Reims in 1967... 💡 ;) :lol:

Here are the parameters I used:

7 Sections

Section 1:
Section Complexity 0
Road Width 0
Sharpness of Turns -5

Section 2:
Section Complexity 0
Road Width 0
Sharpness of Turns -5

Section 3:
Section Complexity 2
Road Width 0
Sharpness of Turns -5

Section 4:
Section Complexity 6
Road Width 0
Sharpness of Turns +5

Section 5:
Section Complexity 0
Road Width 0
Sharpness of Turns -5

Section 6:
Section Complexity 8
Road Width 0
Sharpness of Turns -5

Section 7:
Section Complexity 0
Road Width 0
Sharpness of Turns -5

reims3.jpg

Enjoy!

Hello Grand Prix, I managed to create a Pescara-like track which respect its philosophy: a technical, difficult section followed by two long straights.It is a 5,4 miles track. I've put it on line.

Of course, it was impossible to creat the chicane.

Meanwhile, I've been driving 40 minutes on it with A 292 HP RX-7.
Some impressions:

- Great track for drifting.
- Pitstraight: with the RX-7 about 1700m "flatout" (although it isn't completely "straight")
- Technical section about 4 km, permits to drift; needs a good balanced car.
- connection between technical part and Pitstraight: 2,7 km in which you brake only twice: after about 700m and in the last 90°

You should try it with the RUF RGT or with a '69 Camaro. Great pleasure!

And here is the image:

pescara.png

Last edited:
It's a great track mate. 👍 It was very fun to drive and even visibility is good on most corners. :D

Clermont-Ferrand (Charade) is awesome, I think I've seen a few come up that looked something like that.

charade.jpg

Another good French track is Rouen Les Essarts:

rouen57.jpg

Nouveau Monde in particular is a bastard corner, you must turn left while braking for a right-hander hairpin. I've had many... incidents, there in "Grand Prix Legends", :lol: If we could make something similar it won't have the changing cobbles-to-tarmac road surfaces, but it would be pretty challenging and simple all at the same time.

I've also been looking at Reims '50s:

reims.jpg

Another good site for old GP tracks

Hey I added you yesterday just wondering if you might have missed it as I'd be interested in using the tracks in my game.

Hey I added you yesterday just wondering if you might have missed it as I'd be interested in using the tracks in my game.

Just accepted, I only have the one track at the moment, more to come! 👍

What I most appreciate about the course maker is that it creates tracks that are close to the ancient spirit of car racing in the 50's and 60's.

Such great tracks like Nordschleife, Charade, Reims, Rouen have just became too dangerous.

Course maker puts in the challenging things (blind uphill corners, road tracks), which have disappeared from car racing nowadays. It's much better than the aseptic Tilke-designs.

Just forgot to say in previous messages: It must be possible to get close to the Dijon-Prenois track in the Mount Aso environment. Dijon circuit is 3,802 km long and has about 55-60m denivelation.

And here is a picture of the Pescara-track

Attachments

• Pescara.pdf
    52.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I just put a Rouen-like track online. High speed sweepers for the win, hehehhe. :mischievous: :lol:

Rouen_Returns.jpg

Was hard to replicate the Nouveau Monde hairpin, but the rest of the circuit feels quite similar. Has nice blind sweepers. :D

I'll keep looking to see if any better variations come up.

Just tried the Rouen returns track. 👍👍👍

Good playground for a lesson in high speed cornering.

Took my RX-07 '02 to it on hard tyres. Real fun!

This track was around from the late 50's and closed in the late 60's, it is located within 45 minutes of Chicago and even closer to where I live.
This is the real track:
http://www.formula2.net/Meadowdale.jpg
I will post the recreation when I can figure out how to get the image up, I couldn't get the last section like the real thing, but this is as close as I can get it. It's a pretty fun course, and with the elevation drop before the last section the AI's screw up a lot

Last edited:
I tried this week to create something like Dijon-Prenois.
The result on Mount Aso wasn't very convincing, so I didn't keep it.

In the Eifel-environment, I obtained something interesting.
One of the biggest problems of the real Dijon-track is that it was too short for F1-cars and created lapping-problems. On this fast track, the pole position in the last F1-GP was 1'02.2 (220 km/h). With the actual F1-cars, the same (still existing unchanged track) would give laps of about 45-50 seconds. First cars would be lapped after less than 10 laps. Although the design is interesting, it couldn't be used for F1 nowadays.

The track I created proposes a modern version of the original trackmap developing 5025m. It would be suitable for F1-cars. I called it "Faster_than_Dijon".
I'll put it on line sunday evening. Don't hesitate to send me a friend-request if you wan't to try it

Edit: Since the Dijon-track is the only ancient F1-track in use actually which didn't undergo any changes (no new chicanes, modification of corners), it its the only track to see how motorcarracing got faster since the mid-70's. From 2006-2009, French championship-GT cars turned about the same lap-times as Lauda and Hunt in the mid-seventies: the fastest cars on the grid would have been qualified for the 1977 F1-Grand Prix. In 2010, the new GT3-cars turned about 3 seconds slower.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back