Vinyl Collectors ThreadMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Silverzone
  • 8 comments
  • 1,490 views
Messages
4,312
Searched. didn't see anything.

Anyone out there collect vinyl? I just don't mean like old LP's and EP's like new ones too. I just enjoy the sound of vinyl and it's awesome because I cannot figure out how it works. Post up some of your collection!

Off the top of my head:

Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction (clear red)
Gaslight Anthem - Sink Or Swim (Clear)
Dillinger Four - Versus God (Gray and black swirl)
Off With Their Heads - From The Bottom (Marble)
Heartsounds - Until We Surrender (Hot Pink)
Against Me! - Reinvinting Axl Rose (Glow In The Dark Vinyl)
Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning (2X LP White/ Clear Blue)
DIO (RIP) - The Last In Line
Municipal Waste - The Art Of Partying (Picture Disc)
Good Luck - Into Lake Griffy (Marble)
Joey Cape - Bridge (marble)
New Found Glory - Tip Of The Iceberg EP (Red and Black)

I have many more, but these are a few of my favorites.
 
Phonographic recording works by recording sound with a vibrating needle on a surface. The grooves are actual physical representations of sound vibrations. Tracing a needle back over the groove reproduces the vibrations that created it in the first place.

We used to play records with a needle and a paper cone while spinning the record on a turntable... fun way to waste an afternoon and destroy a few LPs... :lol:

There are anecdotes about people who can actually recognize a piece of music from looking at the grooves... but those stories are older than most people here, and I don't have a net reference.

The reason that records sound "better" is because they typically have a warmer tone than CDs produced at the same time... older CDs had terrible compression and encoding, and often sound a bit sharp and hollow... but since then, they've gotten better... enough that most people can't tell the difference (much the same can be said about all digital music).

Of course... people often prefer lower-fidelity sounds... same goes with video, strangely, and will keep buying LPs and record players till the end of civilization.

But there's just something about the sound of a good record...

I don't have a big collection, but I have a few prizes that I pick up here and there from antique stores. Two of my better finds are an original Chicago Transit Authority and the Sergeant Peppers Soundtrack album, with covers by guys like Peter Frampton and the BeeGees and a little band called Aerosmith.

Might not be the best album in the universe, but I've always thought that Aerosmith covering "Come Together" would be a match made in heaven. And, apparently, so did they. Since I was too young to watch the film when it came out, I guess I can be forgiven for not knowing the cover actually existed. So when I found the album, I stole it from the dusty attic of an uncle who'd probably forgotten all about it.

 
I've got a big LP collection, this album was hard to get


Blonde on Blonde, original USA MONO 1966 Columbia 360 sound double album, by Bob Dylan
 
I have almost every Springsteen album on vinyl. A lot of old Patti Smith albums. Some by Magazine, many Talking Heads, several early REM albums. Probably 5o% of Pink Floyd's albums including The Wall. Prince's Purple Rain soundtrack... Several Police albums. And my Radiohead stuff <3. Vinyl is the best-est. I probably have a hundred or so lying around cause they're cheap used and sound better new.
 
I'm definitely not a record collector. But since many of my fave's are only released on vinyl, I have a handful. I also like the sound for certain kinds of music. For instance, I have all the early Elliott Smith albums on vinyl.
 
I'm a bit a record collector, I've got about 50-60 records, basically all 60'-70' rock and prog rock.
I have take some pics of one of my favorites: In the court of the crimson king by King Crimson original italian press from 1972.

p8180219.jpg


p8180221.jpg


p8180220.jpg

K.
 
Last edited:
Dr. Dre -Chronic 2001
 
i go "Crate-Digging"... i make instrumentals... so i have a few good fnds but most of them are $1 bin stuff to sample...

my most fave records i have are "Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You" and "Marving Gaye - Here my Dear"
 
i go "Crate-Digging"... i make instrumentals... so i have a few good fnds but most of them are $1 bin stuff to sample...

my most fave records i have are "Stardust - Music Sounds Better With You" and "Marving Gaye - Here my Dear"

A turntablist?
 
Back