Vinyl mirroring in livery editor? (and other livery questions)

• Thread starter Jedi2016
  • 28 comments
I know you can do side-to-side mirroring of vinyls.. set up one side like you want, then just slap the whole shebang onto the other side.

But what about the rest of the car? Front/rear/top/hood? There doesn't seem to be any way to mirror a design from one side of the hood to the other.

So what workarounds do you guys use? Let's say I had a couple flame decals on half the hood.. what's the quickest and easiest way to get them mirrored to the other half?

I've done a couple simple ones by cut/pasting the decal over itself and then inverting the position and scale numbers. So if it's positioned at 60.5 and 1.25 scale on one side, then I change those to -60.5 and -1.25, and it works okay. But to be honest, it's a pain in the ass, and I have a feeling it will get more complicated when I'm dealing with multi-layer decals that are skewed as well as scaled.

Also, are there any tips for making decals conform to a particular vehicle? I've come across one I want to make, but I can see it's going to have to be in a specific "V" shape to properly conform to the hood as a "straight" line. Is that something I'm just going to have to do through trial and error? Make the vinyl group, try it, tweak it, try it again, tweak it again, ad nauseum?

You just have to do it the way you're saying. Also, some cars have a bug with mirroring side-to side. It'll actually reverse everything (think of Japanese drift cars that purposely do this).

Work on the bonnet / front / rear first. But when you have made one side of the bonnet, simply copy it to a side of the car then mirror to the other side. Take the now reversed image and put it on the other side of the bonnet. Bingo! Remember leave the sides until last otherwise it gets confusing with all the layers.

Hope this helps...

Also make sure that the car is not a pain to work on by vinyling each part of the car with different colours and see if they make their way onto parts of the car you didn't expect. Some cars are just plain irritating to work on NS-X for example, you cannot make an entirely black roof for it as it bleeds into the door. It's the kind of thing that you come across right at the end of spending hours designing the rest of the car.

Rue
Work on the bonnet / front / rear first. But when you have made one side of the bonnet, simply copy it to a side of the car then mirror to the other side. Take the now reversed image and put it on the other side of the bonnet. Bingo! Remember leave the sides until last otherwise it gets confusing with all the layers.

This is what I do... Good advice...

Also make sure that the car is not a pain to work on by vinyling each part of the car with different colours and see if they make their way onto parts of the car you didn't expect. Some cars are just plain irritating to work on NS-X for example, you cannot make an entirely black roof for it as it bleeds into the door. It's the kind of thing that you come across right at the end of spending hours designing the rest of the car.

'94 Honda Civic is similarly afflicted. You cannot create a carbon fiber hood for the vehicle, as it bleeds onto the bumper. Really frustrating. At least the vinyls don't seem to shift after each race, like they did in Forza 2.

;)

This is what I do... Good advice...

'94 Honda Civic is similarly afflicted. You cannot create a carbon fiber hood for the vehicle, as it bleeds onto the bumper. Really frustrating. At least the vinyls don't seem to shift after each race, like they did in Forza 2.

;)

I am thinking from memory that the AE86 is the same. Perhaps I am thinking of another car. The '94 is the EG6 Civic hatch right? I really wanted to make a copy of the one in my village which looks like this one but now I can't. :grumpy:

Rue
I am thinking from memory that the AE86 is the same. Perhaps I am thinking of another car. The '94 is the EG6 Civic hatch right? I really wanted to make a copy of the one in my village which looks like this one but now I can't. :grumpy:

Just blank off the edges of the bonnet with squares in the same colour as the car. Surely everyone knows this?!

Rue

Ahh, but the AE86 can be done, at least with respect to the hood.

Yes, the EG6 is impossible on the other hand, because no matter what you do, whatever is painted on the front part of the hood will end up on the front bumper.

Just blank off the edges of the bonnet with squares in the same colour as the car. Surely everyone knows this?!

See above...

;)

Yes, the EG6 is impossible on the other hand, because no matter what you do, whatever is painted on the front part of the hood will end up on the front bumper.

The GT500 is like that as well. A couple of cars are in fact... :mad:

I just checked myself. Right when you get within the last inch or so of the hood it starts putting the vinyl onto the very top of the bumper (area defined as top/hood). So it actually is not one continuous vinyl, there's a break of about an inch. It will be continuous if you bring it further forward, but then you can't cover up that extra part because you get the same problem when you try.

But the EG shouldn't be a problem...there's a carbon fiber hood available for it.

But the EG shouldn't be a problem...there's a carbon fiber hood available for it.

Ah, I never thought of that, but the CF hoods are always too dark IMO. Much better to make your own if possible.

I have a question: Can you put your own graphics on the R# class car's windscreens if they have a sticker already? I don't have any R# cars to check, but I'm sure I have seen it done.

I just checked myself. Right when you get within the last inch or so of the hood it starts putting the vinyl onto the very top of the bumper (area defined as top/hood). So it actually is not one continuous vinyl, there's a break of about an inch. It will be continuous if you bring it further forward, but then you can't cover up that extra part because you get the same problem when you try.

The EG is most definitely not possible (for CF Hood). Any attempt to cover any overhang/underhang will show up on either the hood or bumper. You can't finish the last few inches of the hood, as it will show up on the bumper. If you try and cover up the overhang on the bumper, it will show up on the hood. I've tried everything.

The EK9 is possible though (You can buy them in my storefront), as well as the older Honda Integra Type R (also available in my storefront).

Ah, I never thought of that, but the CF hoods are always too dark IMO. Much better to make your own if possible.

Check out my CF Vinyl Groups. Definitely not too dark, and very realistic, even up close.

I have a question: Can you put your own graphics on the R# class car's windscreens if they have a sticker already? I don't have any R# cars to check, but I'm sure I have seen it done.

Yes and No...

Some vehicles you can, like the Aston Martin DBR9 Race Car. Some, like the Holdens, you cannot.

When you go to "Paint Car" the entire graphic is erased. The window sticker will be whatever color you paint the vehicle, unless (like the aforementiones Aston) you cover it with a vinyl.

;)

Why is it that when you win a car with a two tone (Fiat 500 for example), when you try to change the color to a manufacturers color scheme, the color of the second tone (the stripes and mirrors) doesn't change. The only way to change them is to go over them with a vinyl, and this isn't even possible with the mirrors. This happens on every two tone car, including the Bugatti Veyron. Is this fixed in the last patch?

Why is it that when you win a car with a two tone (Fiat 500 for example), when you try to change the color to a manufacturers color scheme, the color of the second tone (the stripes and mirrors) doesn't change. The only way to change them is to go over them with a vinyl, and this isn't even possible with the mirrors. This happens on every two tone car, including the Bugatti Veyron. Is this fixed in the last patch?

I would be fine with it, as long as you could cover over them with a vinyl. However, as you said, some parts cannot be covered, like the mirrors on some vehicles.

;)

It's always been that way. You'll need to buy the base car in whatever way you want the secondary color to be.

I see what you guys mean about doing the hood with vinyls, that is a very strange thing to happen!

It's always been that way. You'll need to buy the base car in whatever way you want the secondary color to be.

But if you go to 'repaint car' and choose the manufacturer colour options you'll notice that the colour swatches have the secondary colour options included. They don't, however, change like they should.

Yeah, I've done that a few times.. patch up a rough spot with a tiny vinyl. I did up my Saleen pickup as Optimus Prime a couple days ago, and had to do that in a few spots.

I also realized that the game is rather.. stupid.. when it comes to placing vinyls on different parts of the car. Rather than have each part segmented intelligently, it's all automatic.. if the surface of the part faces forward (i.e. the front of a side mirror), then it must be part of the front bumper. If it faces backwards (i.e. the back of the cab), then it must be part of the rear bumper. If it faces upwards (i.e. the top of the bumper), then it must be part of the top of the car.

That may be part of the problem with the mirrors mentioned above.. they probably belong to a different part of the body than they should.

Yeah, it just takes a bit of work. I don't think it would be that hard to put a vinyl on the hood of any car, it just isn't going to happen with a single flat square is all. I did it on that truck when I had to split the color along the door frame, which is most definitely not a straight line. What looks like a two-tone paint job red/blue/red is actually around a dozen layers of vinyl, just for the base color. Especially as the base color of the truck isn't red or blue.. it's silver, just so I could have a silver grill on the front (since there are no metallic vinyls).

I'm actually having a lot more fun with the livery editor than I thought I would. I haven't done anything original yet, I'm just trying to duplicate various real-world vehicles. Next up is probably Eleanor, if I can get rid of those Mickey Mouse balloon tires that it comes with stock. And, as mentioned above, I bought the car in fugly yellow, because it was the only stock color that had the stripes in black, since I had a funny feeling I wouldn't be able to change them later if I bought a different color.

Yeah, it just takes a bit of work. I don't think it would be that hard to put a vinyl on the hood of any car, it just isn't going to happen with a single flat square is all.

Nope. Some vehicles are impossible. The EG6 Civic is a good example. The front part of the hood is also the front bumper (according to the game), so no matter what you do, anything on the front part of the hood WILL end up on the bumper. Any attempt to try and cover up the overlap on the bumper, will cover over part of the hood as well.

I'm actually having a lot more fun with the livery editor than I thought I would. I haven't done anything original yet, I'm just trying to duplicate various real-world vehicles. Next up is probably Eleanor, if I can get rid of those Mickey Mouse balloon tires that it comes with stock. And, as mentioned above, I bought the car in fugly yellow, because it was the only stock color that had the stripes in black, since I had a funny feeling I wouldn't be able to change them later if I bought a different color.

Those stripes can be covered with a vinyl. So if you can't change the color of them, just put a vinyl over them in the correct color.

;)

There's also the problem with some side-view mirrors and I'll use the ZR-1 as an example here...if you trying to go for a design that requires the entire side-view mirrors to be a different color, you won't get it. It's as if the mirror is separated into two halves, and you want to paint the mirror a different color you're only painting the top half, and you won't be able to do anything with the bottom half.

At least not that I've seen.

I don't know about the ZR-1, but on the Fiat, the option to paint the mirrors in the paint section (not vinyls) is not available because they are apparently plastic. How lame.

Nope. Some vehicles are impossible. The EG6 Civic is a good example. The front part of the hood is also the front bumper (according to the game), so no matter what you do, anything on the front part of the hood WILL end up on the bumper. Any attempt to try and cover up the overlap on the bumper, will cover over part of the hood as well.
I'll take that bet. :) Carbon fiber, you say?

EDIT: Forgive my non-import-speaking self, but which one's the EG6? There's like six Civics in the game, none of them are called EG6.

Last edited:
I'll take that bet. :) Carbon fiber, you say?

EDIT: Forgive my non-import-speaking self, but which one's the EG6? There's like six Civics in the game, none of them are called EG6.

'94 Civic Hatch.

I've tried everything. By all means, if you can figure it out, send me a PM. I would love to find a way around it.

;)

Maybe you should have been a little clearer.. hehe... I assumed the trouble was simply a difficult shape that would require endless tweaking.. what's actually happening is a glitch, a design bug in the game itself. Part of the hood actually shares mapping coordinates with part of the body. There's no workaround to that. But it's not the car, it's the programming. Ought to bring it up on whatever bug report forums Turn 10 has.

Neat vinyl, by the way. :)

Maybe you should have been a little clearer.. hehe... I assumed the trouble was simply a difficult shape that would require endless tweaking.. what's actually happening is a glitch, a design bug in the game itself. Part of the hood actually shares mapping coordinates with part of the body. There's no workaround to that. But it's not the car, it's the programming. Ought to bring it up on whatever bug report forums Turn 10 has.

Neat vinyl, by the way. :)

Can't be much clearer than this:

Delphic Reason
The EG is most definitely not possible (for CF Hood). Any attempt to cover any overhang/underhang will show up on either the hood or bumper. You can't finish the last few inches of the hood, as it WILL show up on the bumper. If you try and cover up the overhang on the bumper, it will show up on the hood. I've tried everything.

That sounds pretty clear to me.

Someone should make a thread regarding Vinyl glitches in the game. Types of vehicles afflicted, where the problem spots are, etc...

The Dodge Ram also has a bug. The back end of the bed shows up on the back of the cabin, as if they were one surface. Really put the "kibosh" on my Livery attempts.

;)

Not sure if everyone knows how the camera controls work but I found some extra ones I didn't know about. You can click the right stick to cycle through the three auto distances. If you click and hold the right stick you can move the camera in and out by pushing up or down, and you can use the left stick to move the camera around.

If you click and hold the right stick you can move the camera in and out by pushing up or down.

I did not know this. Don't I feel a right tool...

That will definitely make some tricky bits slightly more doable.

When using this method, can you zoom in manually farther than the auto distance?

;)

Yes, I've discovered that ability recently too. But I thought it was the left stick that allowed you to zoom, and with this stick held down, you could move around with the right stick. You can zoom in farther than with the standard zooms, but when you rotate around the car, it gets pushed back.

Yes, I've discovered that ability recently too. But I thought it was the left stick that allowed you to zoom, and with this stick held down, you could move around with the right stick. You can zoom in farther than with the standard zooms, but when you rotate around the car, it gets pushed back.

It is the left stick, it is used for zooming in and out and the right stick is used for moving around the car and zooming in set increments.

I did not know this. Don't I feel a right tool...

That will definitely make some tricky bits slightly more doable.

When using this method, can you zoom in manually farther than the auto distance?

;)

Yeah you can get closer. And you can use the right stick to see the front and back better.

Yeah you can get closer. And you can use the right stick to see the front and back better.

Good to know. I'll give it a whirl.

It has had me a bit baffled, regarding the lighting in the Vinyl Editor. There is barely any light when trying to work on the back of the vehicle. A virtual shop lamp would fix that pretty quick, I reckon...

;)

Back