Viper Gr4 can't make it on 1 stop at suzuka

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheGeologist
  • 22 comments
  • 2,133 views
Messages
2,294
United States
Indiana
Messages
pie4july
Has anyone else had an issue with fuel mileage in the Gr4 Manufacture race at Suzuka? I was not able to complete the entire race on fuel map 1. I pitted on end of lap 4 with a nearly empty (0.4 or so), had to fill the tank up completely and ended up having to switch to fuel map 4 because I would have only been able to make it to lap 8. Barely made it to finish, with .3 L of fuel left. I started 9th, pitted when I was 6th, and ended up finishing 12th...

I've noticed I'm losing a lot of time on pit road with Viper Gr3 and 4. Many times I will come out of pit road behind cars I was in front of. My friend drives a ford and says he usually has to fill his car half way, while I'm always stuck filling my Vipers to 3/4s or worse :/
 
the Viper is a hungry beast .... I've won races when 2nd behind a Viper because my pit stops are faster which I assume is fuel load related.
 
the Viper is a hungry beast .... I've won races when 2nd behind a Viper because my pit stops are faster which I assume is fuel load related.
Be that as it may, it's sad that it can't make it in a one stop race when others can
 
Be that as it may, it's sad that it can't make it in a one stop race when others can

They regulated fuel tanks and fuel economy last patch, but it's not perfect.
Some cars are far too economical (corvette gr.3), and some just suck back the fuel (viper gr.4 and gr.3).
 
Well that explains a few things.
 
They regulated fuel tanks and fuel economy last patch, but it's not perfect.
Some cars are far too economical (corvette gr.3), and some just suck back the fuel (viper gr.4 and gr.3).
The Viper is totally not economical. Hoping they will balance it more

And now we present the award for the most specific thread topic of the month. :gtpflag:
Well it really made me mad. I lost a lot of time on pit road, and then still had to switch fuel maps. :/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well it really made me mad. I lost a lot of time on pit road, and then still had to switch fuel maps. :/

the WRX on the 13lap interlagos race C the other day i had similar issues. To make it 7 laps i had to adjust the fuel map during a few laps and I would still make it to the pit with 0.1 laps remaining. Then i had to fuel to 80% for the remaining 6 laps which added pit time and i always ended up a couple positions down from where I entered. Dont get me wrong, i was definitely not trying to conserve fuel with my shifting habits, but still, I really had to think about fuel economy which is rare.
 
It happened again at Alsace Village! I could only go four laps. I pit at the end of lap 4 (had to, couldn't make it to lap 5), and ran out of fuel on lap 9/9. This isn't fair man. I literally saw cars pitting for the only time on lap 6/9, and I'm forced to pit so early, I have to fill my car up (thus wasting time on pit road), and I still can't even make it!
 
Should try driving the Bugatti Gr4, I ran out of fuel on Tokyo East last week with it.
 
Am I missing something here? If the cars were all able to reach the end of the race on fuel map 1, then having fuel maps would be completely pointless. Everybody would just stay on the highest power setting all the time.
 
Am I missing something here? If the cars were all able to reach the end of the race on fuel map 1, then having fuel maps would be completely pointless. Everybody would just stay on the highest power setting all the time.

But other cars can. The Viper cannot. It is at a disadvantage
 
But other cars can. The Viper cannot. It is at a disadvantage

You're right, but the Viper is not exactly fuel efficient in real life, either. Maybe the GTS model is more accurate than you think!
 
GR4 Viper is pure garbage and I regret picking it for the manufacturers race. It tops out at just 165, even my n600 Viper tops out at 230. It would be ok is Sport mode allowed tuning.
 
I absolutely love both the Grp. 3 and 4 Vipers, but it’s true how bad it is on fuel economy and tyres too. Especially so compared to other cars, like the M4, Megane and TT.

It still delivers me wins but I often need a significant speed advantage over my competitors so I can save go into conservation mode without losing too much time.
 
I absolutely love both the Grp. 3 and 4 Vipers, but it’s true how bad it is on fuel economy and tyres too. Especially so compared to other cars, like the M4, Megane and TT.

It still delivers me wins but I often need a significant speed advantage over my competitors so I can save go into conservation mode without losing too much time.

I've tried other cars, but I'm always faster in my Viper... Hoping PD will make adjustments
 
This is the problem with BoP and fuel, it's like a whole other conundrum. Only solution is to make all the cars equal on fuel usage but then that takes away unique characteristics. BoPing with varying fuel usage then causes no fuel events to have huge BoP disadvantages.
 
Have you tried shifting up earlier? There are a few cars (e.g. the Corvette GR3 or the Fittipaldi) where one can shift up well before the HUD RPM gauge fills up, without losing speed, but saving fuel. Not sure offhand about the Viper, though.

Similarly, it can be worth trying some corners in e.g. 3rd gear instead of 2nd.
 
This is the problem with BoP and fuel, it's like a whole other conundrum. Only solution is to make all the cars equal on fuel usage but then that takes away unique characteristics. BoPing with varying fuel usage then causes no fuel events to have huge BoP disadvantages.

Races are too short to let there have certain cars be that far off. You end up with outliers that become unable to go 4 laps.

Have you tried shifting up earlier? There are a few cars (e.g. the Corvette GR3 or the Fittipaldi) where one can shift up well before the HUD RPM gauge fills up, without losing speed, but saving fuel. Not sure offhand about the Viper, though.

Similarly, it can be worth trying some corners in e.g. 3rd gear instead of 2nd.

Might have helped a little at Alsace, but not at Suzuka as I was a full lap off. Only way to make it was to raise the fuel map while every other car stayed of fuel map 1. As soon as I put that fuel map up, I lost time.

I understand, and agree that not ever car should be the same. However, before the last update, it was not an issue.
 
Might have helped a little at Alsace, but not at Suzuka. I was a full lap off.
FWIW, based on my experience at the FIA Nations Cup last night with the Fittipaldi at Yamagiwa, saving one lap's worth of fuel just by shifting up earlier isn't out of the question. YMMV.
 
You're right, but the Viper is not exactly fuel efficient in real life, either. Maybe the GTS model is more accurate than you think!
The non-BOP Viper which boasts a 680 BHP yes, but not when it's scaled down to 570 BHP.
 
Reminds me why F1 cars switched from V-12’s to V-10’s in the 1990’s. And a better thing could not have happened, those V-10’s sounded incredible! Don’t mind me, just an old man reminiscing about the glory days...
 
The viper has been the cause of many of my losses due to needing to run on lower power to save gas.
 
Back