Viper GTS (R) or Viper GTS-R?

• Thread starter JadeRaven
  • 7 comments
Yeah so I was all about to start one of the two-hour races "All-night I" with my faithful Viper GTS (R) modification when I win a Viper GTS-R in the US v. Japan tournament.

I tried to compare both side-by-side but basically it boils down to:

GTS-R has about a hundred and fifty extra horsepower
GTS-R weighs about 600 pounds more
GTS-R has a 7 speed gearbox (which you can adjust to be useful)
GTS-R has a tad more available downforce

So before embarking on a two hour race, which should I go for? :)

All Night 1 is only about an hour actually. I'd just go with instead of the Viper, one of these:
Mitsubishi FTO LM
TVR Cerbera LM
Subaru Impreza Rally Car

If you still wanna use the Viper, go with whichever has the better power to weight.

If your going to use a viper, use the [R] viper gts, the one you buy. This because some people report the gtsr gets caught on walls, so i wouldnt use it.

[R]Viper GTS is far better than the Viper GTS-R.
The [R]Viper GTS (to a certain extent) is comparable to the top dogs of the game (the likes of the FTO LM, Concept Car, Cerbera LM, etc.).

Idk.....I'm more partial towards the RT/10. Slightly better hp/wt ratio and I think it also looks better in its race mods.

But definitely the GTS over the GTS-R.

The GTSR posts faster lap times around ssR11 for me. Normally I would go with the lighter version, but the extra downforce of the GTSR will negate a lot of the GTS's cornering/braking advantage, the extra power, will also overcome the extra drag generated from the higher downforce. SSR11's start straight is Huge, there is a lot of time to be gained by being faster on the straights, and that 150 or so HP is surprisingly significant.

Thanks for the input y'all!

I ran through the US v. Japan series twice to try to get the FTO LM, and of course neither time I succeeded (I now have two GTS-R's with green stripes). Well the first time I used my regular Viper GTS with the race mod, didn't change my setup during the whole series. For the second time yesterday I used to GTS-R, and even after setting up the 7 speed gearbox and playing around with the suspension and aero for each race, I still fell short of my original times I set the first time through using the plain GTS. On a couple tracks I fell short by about a second a lap, on a couple I fell short by over two seconds a lap.

The GTS-R definitely has more top end, but the weight just doesn't allow for the same speed through the corners (and thus slows down exit speeds) despite having more aero. Also it seems slower in the low and mid end acceleration, probably because of the weight and being almost maxed out on aero.

I really liked the feel of both cars, but my times were just faster in the GTS-R and also it was a little more effortless without all the weight of the GTS-R.

Also GTS compared to the RT/10. . . it might all be in my head, but before race mod, the GTS seems less twitchy and generally quicker than the RT/10, so I went with the GTS for the "normal" series before doing the racing mod.

I have to say plugging in the original Gran Turismo after all these years has really been a lot of fun. Really since GT2 came out I haven't played GT, and after I got around the drop in graphics, it's been really refreshing how good it feels for a game this old.

Skip one day (go into a licence test, run it once and back out) and try again. Let me know if you get the FTO this time...

Latest Posts

Back