Viper Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter danjee
  • 26 comments
  • 1,849 views
Messages
730
United States
California
Messages
Clivus11
So I was overcome with the urge to build a drag racer.

I was wondering: would the SRT10 or the ACR be a better base car? Which can you take to a higher PP level? I know the ACR is better out of the box, but sometimes on "pre-tuned" cars, your modifications are limited.

Also, while we're at it, what would be the best production car to make into a drag racer? Viper? SLR McLaren? Corvette? SLS?
 
The ACR out of the way. Fully tuned will put out over 1000hb and doesn't handle badly. Will out duel almost everything in the game. I think that, out of your four choices, the ACR would the best dragster.
 
The ACR out of the way. Fully tuned will put out over 1000hb and doesn't handle badly. Will out duel almost everything in the game. I think that, out of your four choices, the ACR would the best dragster.
Okay, yeah, I guess that makes sense. Just wanted to check if there were any restrictions. Sounds like it'll be a sick dragster! :)
 
really? what about an F1 (mclaren F1) or a speed 12. as long as its a straight line the speed 12 will win.
 
Wouldn't the wings cause extra drag for ACR? Even if set to minimum the wings won't just disappear.
 
Old GTS puts out 900+ hp .(i think 980 or something?) And got no wing.
Speed12 is good to
Audi R8 ? RS6 ? BMW M5? Ford GT? Some cars i remember racing with my gts from my beginning days when i still dragged now and then.
 
The SRT 10 is faster dragging but has 996HP compared to the 1031hp of the ACR. It does have a wing to slow it down.
 
I haven't fully modified an '03 Viper SRT10 yet but wouldn't the additional downforce gained from the wing and power serve as an advantage for the '08 Viper SRT10 ACR at high speed?
 
I haven't fully modified an '03 Viper SRT10 yet but wouldn't the additional downforce gained from the wing and power serve as an advantage for the '08 Viper SRT10 ACR at high speed?

Wing = Downforce = Drag = Lower speed/Better handling

SRT-10 is a better option for dragster tuning.
But Speed 12 is better than the Viper in drag race.
 
I haven't fully modified an '03 Viper SRT10 yet but wouldn't the additional downforce gained from the wing and power serve as an advantage for the '08 Viper SRT10 ACR at high speed?

Only if it wants to turn.

More downforce ---> More Drag ---> Lower Top Speed


EDIT: Tree'd by Yev. Good call, bud 👍
 
Last edited:
How about the R230 SL600 or SL 65 AMG?

Weep that it's standard, but the R230 SL600 can be tuned to over 1000hp and can weigh less than a regular Veyron. It's FR though, like the Viper.
The SL 65 AMG can obtain exactly 1,000hp and can do at least 250mph on the straight in Sarthe or hit 240mph+ in the tunnels at SS7.

If you max tune it with the Mid-Range Turbo, you'll achieve 1,000hp (after oil change/engine rebuild). Mine hits 250mph on a long enough straight (Sarthe) with only a Stage 1 weight reduction at 1815kg. From a roll, I bet it could take a Veyron or at least keep up with it - especially with a full weight reduction.

I think a lot of it might have to do with the type of engine. The SL 65 utilizes a big V12 w/ turbo... the powerband is extremely broad and with a mid-range turbo in place it can be quite suprising. I think having a broad powerband is key and usually the bigger engines produce them most noticeably.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=182883
 
Yev
Wing = Downforce = Drag = Lower speed/Better handling

SRT-10 is a better option for dragster tuning.
But Speed 12 is better than the Viper in drag race.

I agree with the SRT10 being better than the ACR in a drag race, but is the Speed 12 really better than the Vipers in a drag race? I couldn't push mine past 250 mph on SSR7 while my SRT10 ACR can do it. The ACR has the best track performance of the three.



These are heavier and slower around the track than these Vipers.
 
Yev
Wing = Downforce = Drag = Lower speed/Better handling

True.

But also:

Wing = Downforce = More force pressing the drive wheels down = Better off-the-line traction = Less wheel spin and more forward movement

This is also true, right? If so, then which outweighs the other?

Also, just to clear up, when I say drag racing, I mean 1/4 miles and quick acceleration. Not thinking about top speed or SSR7 blasts.
 
True.

But also:

Wing = Downforce = More force pressing the drive wheels down = Better off-the-line traction = Less wheel spin and more forward movement

This is also true, right? If so, then which outweighs the other?

Also, just to clear up, when I say drag racing, I mean 1/4 miles and quick acceleration. Not thinking about top speed or SSR7 blasts.

This is what I was getting at in my original post and I agree with you when you raise the question of which outweighs the other. Additionally specifically for 1/4 mile races, what about building a '08 GT-R? It's ashame that they won't allow you to do motor swaps in this game because a Datsun 500 with a R34 Skyline engine (don't know the exact name of the motor) and AWD conversion would be hard to beat.
 
This is what I was getting at in my original post and I agree with you when you raise the question of which outweighs the other. Additionally specifically for 1/4 mile races, what about building a '08 GT-R? It's ashame that they won't allow you to do motor swaps in this game because a Datsun 500 with a R34 Skyline engine (don't know the exact name of the motor) and AWD conversion would be hard to beat.
Yeah, a Spec-V would be even better! :D

I agree: It's a shame about swaps. My dream has always been to take an E92 M3 V8 and put it in the back of a Cooper S. :drool: Keeps it in the family and everything! :lol:
 
Old GTS puts out 900+ hp .(i think 980 or something?) And got no wing.
Speed12 is good to
Audi R8 ? RS6 ? BMW M5? Ford GT? Some cars i remember racing with my gts from my beginning days when i still dragged now and then.

+1 for the RS6. 900bhp+ in an estate = 👍
 
True.

But also:

Wing = Downforce = More force pressing the drive wheels down = Better off-the-line traction = Less wheel spin and more forward movement

No. You need to be moving (air flow) for the downforce from the wing to come into effect.
 
At least 55 mph in most cars, 60+ in a few vehicles.
 
Yes. It's a general figure that works for just about every car in GT5.
 
Yes. It's a general figure that works for just about every car in GT5.
So I guess what would make sense for the quarter mile would be to find an aero setup that creates little drag at low speeds, but still provides downforce at speeds past ~55? Sounds like a compromise would work best for this situation.
 
So I guess what would make sense for the quarter mile would be to find an aero setup that creates little drag at low speeds, but still provides downforce at speeds past ~55? Sounds like a compromise would work best for this situation.

You don't want downforce, bro.
 
I thought the stock ACR wing provided no downforce. I remember being annoyed.
 
Back