Virgin Drifter, need set up for silvia race modified

• Thread starter MadMike'86
  • 10 comments
United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
madmike1986
Hi!
I need, please, a drifting set up for the nissan silvia premium car, I have race tuned it but thats all.
I have some questions:

1) Do I need to make it anymore powerfull? its currently at 400BHP with a midrange turbo (my theory being it will kick out the corners better)

2) Im using sports hard tyres, are these the best?

3) What should the suspension and lsd settings be?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS im using a playstation controller, not a wheel

Hi!
I need, please, a drifting set up for the nissan silvia premium car, I have race tuned it but thats all.
I have some questions:

1) Do I need to make it anymore powerfull? its currently at 400BHP with a midrange turbo (my theory being it will kick out the corners better)

2) Im using sports hard tyres, are these the best?

3) What should the suspension and lsd settings be?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS im using a playstation controller, not a wheel

1) S13 or S15? you got enough horse power, don't worry about that part. You have to adequately equip the turbo depending on your gear ratio and what rpm you use to drift through it, otherwise you're wasting potential.

2) Go with comfort, sports tires have too much grip and they wear down too quickly. I recommend hard or medium.

3) This is the hardest part since you're tuning it for two reasons. It's a constant tug of war between "I need to make the car fit my driving style" vs. "I need to change my driving style for the car (to have optimal performance)." You really gotta strike the balance.
For now, leave height and spring rate alone so you can "see" the body roll and weight transfer for training purpose. Increasing cam angle allows your tires to get more traction during a drift (higher the speed of the drift, higher the cam angle). For now, go with (F: 2.5; R: 1.5) and (lsd: 8~10;18~20;25). Don't set the LSD higher till you get better because you can really feel the difference by adjusting a few clicks.

Incase you want to fiddle around with spring rate in the future, The stiffer the suspension, the harder it will be to turn (meaning it will increase stability when you're sideways). When in doubt, go to the tuning screen and read the question marks - it tells you all the details you need to know

Last edited:
1) S13 or S15? you got enough horse power, don't worry about that part.

2) Go with comfort, sports tires have too much grip and they wear down too quickly. I recommend hard or medium.

3) This is the hardest part since you're tuning it for two reasons. It's a constant tug of war between "I need to make the car fit my driving style" vs. "I need to change my driving style for the car (to have optimal performance)." You really gotta strike the balance.
For now, leave height and spring rate alone so you can "see" the body roll and weight transfer for training purpose. Increasing cam angle allows your tires to get more traction during a drift (higher the speed of the drift, higher the cam angle). For now, go with (F: 2.5; R: 1.5) and (lsd: 8~10;18~20;25). Don't set the LSD higher till you get better because you can really feel the difference by adjusting a few clicks.

Incase you want to fiddle around with spring rate in the future, The stiffer the suspension, the harder it will be to turn (meaning it will increase stability when you're sideways). When in doubt, go to the tuning screen and read the question marks - it tells you all the details you need to know

The only Silvia race tuneable is the S15

Horsepower wise, you can drift anything from 150BHP, even lower if you are good, so you have plenty.

You can drift a 400BHP car with sports tyres no problem, but if you're new i recommend comfort medium for this power range, but by all means, experiment with different tyres to find ones that best suit you.

With suspension and LSD again experiment, nobody can give you a setup that is perfect for you, you need to make that yourself, all i can do is give a few pointers.
If you want the car to oversteer more, you should harden the back spring rate more than the front, it's the same with dampers, but don't go into extremes. To eliminate understeer while drifting, put some negative camber on the front wheels of your car (you can only put negative camber on the cars in GT5). Positive toe angle will help to make the front respond better as well.
If you have understeer in the entrance of the corner, try softening the spring rate of the front of your car.
Tuning the LSD might be the hardest thing to understand and i will not try to explain what all of the settings do because i do not understand them 100% myself.

Hope that this long speech helps you understand some things. And experiment.

Thanks so much guys...been using your tips and its definately getting easyer, I changed the gears to 6 speed close ratio and that seems to help also, goint to try the comfort tyres next because the sports ones are wearing out after 1 lap!

I actually prefer 5 speed transmissions for drifting, bigger jump between gears so it's easier to shift lock and otherwise throw around the car.

At 400 HP on a car that light (especially after the RM) I wouldn't use a compound harder than Comfort Soft, I might actually use Sport Hard. Grip is more important during a drift than you'd think. Not saying you can't drift on harder tires, I just think the softer compounds might be a little better to learn with.

All boils down to personal preference in the end though :)

shift lock?

im using sports hard at the moment, think its nearly there, using the hand brake and scandanavian flicks help also...can drift really great on some corners but seem to struggle on tight hair pins?

its hard to hold a fast drift, It does drift but goes really slow like your doing a burnout, if It try and go faster it just spins out or understeers into the gravel

Make sure you're staying on the racing line.

Bear in mind that drifting isn't faster than gripping, so don't expect to be drifting any quicker through the hairpins than you'd grip through.

Latest Posts

Back