Virtual Reality

• Thread starter 93TT
  • 16 comments
Alright, ever since E3 when the specs of PS3 where touted I've thought of one thing---VR. And more specifically GT5 VR.
Here's what I think it could be like.

Hardware
Lightweight Lemans style racing helmet.
Fold down visor VR unit containing 2 PSP screens (.3 inch, 16:9 Wide screen TFT LCD 480 x 272 pixel, 16.77 million colors). One for each eye. If you've seen Spider-man on the PSP then you know they are awesome! Each one displaying it's own in car render at about 6 inches apart for a realtime 3D in-car view.
Integrated in-helmet surround sound speakers, allows wearer to 'hear' where other cars are in relation to him. Possibly, a larger bass-type speaker mounted directly behind your head exclusively for in car engine noise.
Integrated microphone for online car to car chat.
Possible 'dual-shock' vibration.
The helmet could possibly connect to the second DVI port on the PS3.

Cost
Who knows, but since they're cranking out PSPs, the screens shouldn't be too expensive at wholesale. The rest of the components (speakers, microphone) are already out there in other low cost products. They would just need to wrap it up in a adjustably sized lightweight plastic padded helmet. I would guess $150 ($200 if bundled with GT5).

Software Integration
Of course the games would have to be adjusted to accomodate the new hardware. Specifically, instead of rendering one in-car view, when the helmet is plugged in and recognized by the system it would switch into a binocular camera mode. This would be just for the helmet, the TV connected to the first DVI port would still render one in-game camera allowing others to watch. Better yet, a second helmet could be added for head-to-head VR racing by using both DVI ports.

Result
Pure 3D racing action, now instead of guessing how far away a turn is you will actually see the distance. You will be able to tell if an opponent is 1 foot away from you or 3 feet away. The terrain and the all the models are already being rendered in 3D by the computer anyways so why not use it to it's fullest.

Bonus Points
This unit doesn't have to be used JUST for GT5, but really for any game that developers want to use it for. Imagine a FPS like Splinter Cell in full 3D! If fully exploited, it could be a goldmine for Sony, this hardware alone would sell PS3s by the boat-load.

I think the next gen systems have the power to pull it off convincingly. Personally, I think the one that does it first will leave the others in the dust. Think of how much better GT is with the steering wheel than the controller. Same thing here, it will be that much better. Hopefully someone in Sony (or maybe even Logitech) will catch wind of this and do it.
Thanks for listening,
Pat

Interesting....

Whats more they could design a VR pad(if I may call it that). Those small exercise trampolines would be the size and it would operate like a treadmill... but rather than moving in one direction, it would be intelligent enough to move different directions (360 degrees). So while wearing your VR headset you can move around on a 360* directional treadmill to direct your player - and it would speed up and slow down according to your movements to prevent you running off the damn thing and running into the wall :crazy: . Would be quite hard on some games like splinter cell where you're walking/running for hours on end. No good for GT though, although there are some idiots starting up threads about including horses and running in races in the next GT series, so who knows... a running pad may come in handy!

No more GYM memberships, just an investment in the ultimate VR setup!

This thing you just described, allready exists. It is no helmet but just a kind of skiglasses.
This VR glasses are called I-glasses: video and PC.
I got one and it is absolutly NOT worth while. A simple screen, tv or beamer is much better.
The problem with those glasses is: if you put it on, you have to hold your head completely still. You will get dizzy wearing these VR glasses, believe me!!!
Another problem, if you are driving with these glasses (or helmet), in lets say GT4 and you are approching a corner, you will automatically turn your head towards the turn, but the images on your screen won't turn , resulting in a very uncomfortable feeling (in RL, if you turn your head, you will see something else, with these glasses, if you turn your head, the image stays the same => very unnatural). You turn your head around but the image on your screen doesn't!!! :crazy:
Watching a screen or tv, you never turn your head because you have to keep watching the screen or tv. You already have full 3D glasses and again it is not worth while. The technology isn't good enough at this moment to actually work like it should. The 2 little LCD screens inside the glasses work with small mirrors. These mirrors always have some kind of annoying reflection.
Unless GT5 and PS3 will implement a kind of tracking device. This should help.

HMD,VR glasses click here!!

kikie
This thing you just described, allready exists. It is no helmet but just a kind of skiglasses.
This VR glasses are called I-glasses: video and PC.
I got one and it is absolutly NOT worth while. A simple screen, tv or beamer is much better.
The problem with those glasses is: if you put it on, you have to hold your head completely still. You will get dizzy wearing these VR glasses, believe me!!!
Another problem, if you are driving with these glasses (or helmet), in lets say GT4 and you are approching a corner, you will automatically turn your head towards the turn, but the images on your screen won't turn , resulting in a very uncomfortable feeling (in RL, if you turn your head, you will see something else, with these glasses, if you turn your head, the image stays the same => very unnatural). You turn your head around but the image on your screen doesn't!!! :crazy:
Watching a screen or tv, you never turn your head because you have to keep watching the screen or tv. You already have full 3D glasses and again it is not worth while. The technology isn't good enough at this moment to actually work like it should. The 2 little LCD screens inside the glasses work with small mirrors. These mirrors always have some kind of annoying reflection.
Unless GT5 and PS3 will implement a kind of tracking device. This should help.

HMD,VR glasses click here!!

I think thats what this dude is talking about buddy... Im sure he's aware there are VR type headsets out there. Im sure what the guys who started this thread is talking about is similar to what you said in that when you turn your head you can actually look out the side of your car or look down to see your foot pedals. This would be great! My assumption is also reinforced when he started talking about Splinter Cell where you can look around the environment to see whos behind you or to peek around a corner. The current VR headsets available suck... I know. I also imagine for Sony, PD, MS whoever, to implement this type of 360* vision would not only cost alot but also take up alot of disk space.... thanks god they implemented blue-ray disks!

The only solution that would be cost effective that I can think of would be to incorporate the Eye-toy. If the helmet had a series of bright or reflective dots that could be registered by the Eye-toy. The cel processors could then calculate how you are turning your head by how the dots move in space and adjust your view accordingly. It may take a new higher-resolution Eye-toy to see subtle movements though.

Even if this weren't an option, and the view remained static regardless of how you turned your head. I feel you would, after a short time, adjust to the helmet. Sort of a learning curve. All new peripherals require a learning period to feel second nature. Sort of when you first tried to learn to drive stick, there was a lot of stalling, bucking, and grinding of gears before you could drive smoothly.
I would personally endure this period if it meant I could drive the Nurenburgring in full 3D.

Also, what about horror games, it'd be cool to IN the next Doom or Resident Evil. :nervous:

mvandepas
...when you turn your head you can actually look out the side of your car or look down to see your foot pedals. This would be great!!
This is already possible with the racing game GTR for PC. You probably know this game. You need a TrackIR 3 pro with vector expansion. It's a 6 DoF tracking system. Naturalpoint!!

mvandepas
The current VR headsets available suck... I know. !!
Right!! Exactly

mvandepas
I also imagine for Sony, PD, MS whoever, to implement this type of 360* vision would not only cost alot but also take up alot of disk space.... thanks god they implemented blue-ray disks!
The best way and most realistic but most expensive solution at this moment is "surround gaming" . ==> expensive graphics card and 3 monitors. Or 3 PS2, 3 tv's, 3 copies of GT4, cable and hub.
I know from a reliable source that the future is much more interesting (for racing games). People are, as we speak, developing a real cockpit with a real working dashoard. The windows in your car would be replace by viewing screens, so you actually are "inside" the game (ie car). Or another solution is; put this cockpit inside a "dome" and the environment of the game is reflected on the walls of this dome. Much better solution than having a helmet on your head but way too expensive, I know.
I know this is at the momet far fetched and it will be too expensive but probably more realistic than wearing a helmet.
👍
I think it is too early to have a nice VR helmet with peripheral view and a tracking device. The I-glasses view = only 30° or is it 26°?

At this moment a nice VR helmet is less expensive and maybe better.

The downside of having a HMD or a helmet ==> you can' t see your keyboard or steering wheel, unless you lift up your head and look underneath the glasses.

Im currently playing GTR using a DFP, a pair of edimensional 3d glasses and a TrackIRPro3 (no vector expansion)..

the level of immersion is wicked, i can use a normal CRT for 3d so im not hobbled by a pair of tiny crap LCDs, so i get bright crisp big clear images, which is a big help when your trying to trick your brain into processing them into depth.

the trackIR is allowing me to look around the cabin (in 3D), look into corners, look at cars passing me..

to really take GT5 to the next level they have to get something like this happening..

playing GT5 on my (much much larger) TV just seems a little... well, weak in comparison.

ultimately id prefer to be using a HMD, but realistically the technology just isn't going to be cheap enough/good enough for the next few years

i can only imagine how sweet this is going to be with GT Legends and a vector expansion pack for my trackIR

puppeteer
, a pair of edimensional 3d glasses

If you mean, shutter glasses, be aware, these glasses are bad for your brain. The guy who sold me the I-glasses also sells the shutter glasses. He told me how they work. It is just a pair of glasses but they shut one at the time (left, right, left, right and so on) very, very fast, so you won't notice it, but your brain will, creating a 3D vision.

I hope for your sake, your 3d glasses ain't the shutter glasses. You could develop epilepsy.

Be carefull with these sort of things. :)

im well aware of how they work...

if you are worried about that then i hope you haven't been going to any cinemas lately..

im running the display at 150hz, so im getting 75hz per eye, a faster refresh than you get when watching TV.

its much safer than 3D imax... or any movie for that matter..

but thank you for the concern

you could get an epileptic seizure only IF you were epileptic...

for the rest of us, it's just fine. :P

Epilepsy wouldn't be a problem since this concept would not shutter back and forth between the 2 screens. Running off the same graphics card the screens would be running the same frame rate independently.

The problem with VR us that most headset make the users feel sick after a while - try doing something like the 4 hours of Nurburgring while wearing gear that would make you throw up. VR technology was a 1990s fad. While something might be possible with EyeToy (I wouldn't know, I've never used it), the idea of a visor and gloves or whatever is out-of-date and far too expensive.

Plus, you'd look really, really silly.

How about JUST a motion sensing headband so if you turn your head your veiwpoint changes when driving on the TV.Just simple motion sensing with a DFP and a set of speakers would be sufficient.

Back