[Vista] Open folder in same window/Hide menu not working

• Thread starter Sharky.
  • 6 comments

Sharky.

MX-5 gang
Premium
New Zealand
Christchurch
My computer BSOD twice yesterday (as well as everything going not responding every few minutes), and was at something of a loss as to why. Eventually I thought back to auto updates, and uninstalled the latest one that was installed on it (security update for IE8).

That fixed the BSODs, but now Windows Explorer refuses to open folders in the same window (fixed! regsvr32 actxprxy.dll at the command prompt) or hide the menu bar (also fixed! delete a certain registry key), even with those options selected. I've tried a reboot, that hasn't solved it.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and tweak the registry if need be.

Specs:
Vista Home Premium SP2
2GB RAM
2.1GHz AMD Athlon X2 64
512M ATi 3650 gfx

Last edited:
System Restore is running, but hasn't been making any automatic restore points, so I can't roll back =/

Managed to get the menu bar hidden, so one down, one to go.

edit: i should probably mention that the folder opening in new windows only started happening after BSOD #3 (had first BSOD a while back), late last night. Been running SP2 for about three weeks now with no problems.

I have access to a desktop running Vista Basic SP2, so I can pinch some registry keys off there if need be.

edit #2: pinched the desktop's HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder key(s), but no dice :(

Last edited:
Can you turn off the "open in same window" option, reboot (just to be safe), then re-enable it?

ie switch it to open in separate windows then reboot?

I could try that :)

Yeah, that. It might end up being where you just need to do a fresh install. I had made Vista BSOD so many times from too much over an overclock and I couldn't cure it, then Pako suggested a clean installation because the same thing had happened to him. I've been running the same overclock since and have only encountered a few BSODs that aren't related to that.

My computer didn't come with the install disc, all it has is a recovery partition for the OS =/

Anyway - it's fixed! :D

I followed the instructions on this site: regsvr32 actxprxy.dll in a command window, boom. Fixed.

How could MS screw up an update to IE8 (that's what caused this problem) so much that it "leaks" into the OS itself?

edit: oh yeah, before I forget - *creates restore point*

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back