ViXeN Does Apricot Hill Sideways

• Thread starter ViXeN
  • 0 comments
So I drove my Lotus down to the local Renault dealer and picked up a brand new Clio V6 in Silver. I had them deliver it to my garage.

First things first, I changed the oil and gave it a good polishing then went off ti GT Auto for some improvements. I added a black wing and a set of black rims to match, man the car looked sexy now. Once that was done I headed off to the tuning shop for some under the bonnet imporvements.

On went a stage 3 turbo and some NOS, I also had the engine ported and balanced. I had a racing suspension installed and had the car stripped of all the heavy stuff. On went a set of racing disks, pads, and callipers as well as a balance controller. They then installed a race spec exhaust system to allow the gasses to escape easier. I had a customiasable tranny installed as well as a lightened flywheel, Triple plate clutch and a full LSD. Now that the upgrades were taken care of, it was off to the track. I started the Clio and was amazed at the massive change the upgrades had made to the way the car sounded and responded. With that I drove off to Apricot hill.

When I got there I had my pit crew adjust the settings for drifting and got ready to race.

Here's what went down:

Coming out of the pits with the gas flat I made for the first turn, a 5th gear left hand sweep which was followed shortly by a 3rd gear left hander. I kept the gas flat through the 5th gear turn and tapped the NOS the get the rear sliding hard, then it was off the gas completely and down the gears to bring the rear around more for turn 2.

Once the back of the car was out sufficiciently I gradually applied the gas to keep the car in a nice sideways drift, the tyres screached inder the pressure and the clio powered around turn 2.

It was then onto a short straight over a rise and into the next 3 turns; Turn 3 a sharp 3rd gear right hander, turn 4 a 3rd gear left hander and turn 5 a fast 4th gear right hander over a rise. I entered turn 3 hard and hit the e-break to get the rear out then straight onto the gas to controll the car around the bend.

Keeping the gas down allowed me to hold the drift coming out of turn 3 then swing to the left and drift into turn 4, about half throttle ensured a smooth drift around turn 4 with the tyre moaning again.

As with the exit to Turn 3 I again held the drift into turn 5 and powered full throttle around the fast right hander.

The it was a slight left hander and into turn 6 a long 4th gear left hander with a positive camber, making this a more difficult bend to hold a drift on. I power into the corner and tap the NOS and the Clio's arse begins to slide out.

Then it's hard on the gas as the tyres screach and the Clio begins to drift wide.

Heavy gas a a drop to 3rd gear keep the wheels spinning and the car heading in the right direction.

"Shew, That was a tough fight" I thought to myself as I powered down the long straight leading up to turn 7, a sharp 2nd gear right hander. I hit the breaks hard @ 200 metres and feint the Clio to the left then turn in hard right and apply gentle gas to keep the car sideways around the tight bend.

Then it's on to a difficult series of turns, turn 8 a fast 5th gear right hander, turn 9 a long downhill 4th gear left hander, turn 10 and 11 a right left 2nd gear chicane. I hit the gas hard and power the Clio around turn 8 in 5th gear, the tyres crying in pain ad the Clio drift hard.

Then it's down a gear and a little lift off has the Clio sideways for turn 9, gentle power in 4th gear then a gear shift down to third ensures the CLio stays on track.

Then it's quick thinking and precise driving to to snake the Clio through the sharp chicane.

Then it's hard on the gas for the final turn, a hard 4th gear left hand sweep over a rise, I power up the short straight and turn hard into the left hander, a tap of the NOS hsa the arse out and I power into the middle of the turn.

Plenty of power and slight NOS taps allow the Clio to swing out wide and drift onto the mains straight.

Another great lap around Apricot Hill and another great drifting car tested by ViXeN.

Back