Volkswagen CiTi Golf VELOCITI 2006

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 6 comments
South Africa
Johannesburg
Tayeedz1
This a vehicle that is dear to South Africans. It needs some recognition in the form of a Premium car in Gran Turismo.

Centurion-20101218-00129.jpg

Alright, History lesson is now in session: Back in the day, 1975 if you count that as back in the day. South Africans fell in love with the Mk1 Golf, so much so that VW South Africa decided to keep production of the Mk1 Golf going and rebadge as the "Citi Golf". Different trim levels and specs were offered over the years with variations in powertrain, interior and exterior aspects. It was THE entry level car here in South Africa. Which brings me to this specific model and if not the best model. The 2006 Citi Golf VELOCITI.

2007_VW_Citi_Golf_Velocity_16i_Facelift_115680266.JPG

The VELOCITI trim level came with sporty 15 inch wheels with disc brakes in the front and drums in the rear. A choice between a 1.4 and 1.6 fuel injected engines were offered and ladies and gents, if you chucked a short ram induction kit on this, dare I not say ITBs, it will sound like an AE86 Trueno on steroids. It was only 74kw but what a fun 74kw it was. These cars were VERY tuneable with engine swaps even going as far as VR6 motors or ABF motors being dropped in.

IMG00217-20110617-1302.jpg

Exterior wise you're looking at revised grills, headlamps, tail lamps etc to bring the VELOCITI inline with modern styles. Interior consisted of a revised dash and panels from the Skoda Fabia which suited the car very well.
2003_Volkswagen_Citi_VeloCiti_004_8845.jpg

2003_Volkswagen_Citi_VeloCiti_003_2564.jpg

This is a FACTORY interior ladies and gents
2003_Volkswagen_Citi_VeloCiti_006_5319.jpg

Some videos

The Volkswagen Citi Golf VELOCITI sadly had its life ended in 2007 and saw a successor. Now think, 1975-2007, wow.... This was the official car of "You can teach an old dog new tricks" and it ended off with a bang. So what do all of you say? This car needs the premium treatment as a modern classic!

Non-EU Golfs never cease to amaze me, Mk. 5 GTis were on EU roads before they stopped making facelifted Mk. 2s in South Africa. Can't say I'm a fan of this though, lots of dodgy accessories and only 99bhp.

So, it's basically a Golf 1 with a modern interior? lel
If there's like a GTI version, I'd be down for it!

So, it's basically a Golf 1 with a modern interior? lel
If there's like a GTI version, I'd be down for it!

Not just a modern interior, everything has been modernised!:bowdown:

There isn't a GTI version but there's an R version with a 1.8 fuel injected engine with 90kw. Also has a lovely bodykitvand lovely interior.

Might I add that this Car is light?

Retro styling combined with modern advances. I love it when manufacturers do that, although it happens rarely (Morgan most notably)...

Back