Volvo’s 360c concept car is a fully autonomous bedroom on wheels

• Thread starter kikie
  • 7 comments

kikie

I'm here
Premium
Belgium
in the land of stupidity
“In our striving for efficiency, have we lost empathy for the traveler?” These words, from Volvo’s launch video for its new 360c fully autonomous concept car, hit home with me. I fly a lot, so I’m fully familiar with efficient but unsympathetic forms of travel, and Volvo’s idea is to help people like me through the design of its future cars. The Volvo 360c is, like most concepts of our time, all-electric, fully autonomous, and covered by a big sweeping glass dome. What distinguishes it, though, is Volvo’s vision of how it fits into the broader scheme of city infrastructure, short-haul flights, working commutes, and environmental concerns.
Read more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is Volvo preparing to show its vision for self-driving cars to the world? New teaser videos that highlight an upcoming concept called the 360c appear to point in that direction.

The first teaser video shows only the concept car's lighting elements, which consist of a variety of white lights up front and fin-shaped red ones in the back. Though there are no other details offered, Volvo's caption for the video seems to imply the vehicle will drive itself: "Coming soon: our vision for the future of travel. Could time spent travelling become time well spent?"
Read more.

No-one is interested in such a car? Imagine, going on holiday by car. Get in, drive during the night and sleep while driving.

Last edited:
I'm certainly interested in such a car and autonomous cars in general. If someone can pull it off, then it's certainly Volvo - especially with Geely backing them. Curious to see how well it'll do in the first real-world tests.

No-one is interested in such a car? Imagine, going on holiday by car. Get in, drive during the night and sleep while driving.

It's a pipe dream and that's about it. We are a really long ways from a car like that even being legally able to operate on the roads in most countries.

Also, I have to imagine that car is gigantic based off the renderings I've seen of people in it.

Instant coffin. Seriously.

"When I was your age..." small cars were considered death traps. Sure, people do die in any type of vehicle. As morbid or insensitive as it seems I'm making it, that's just what it looks like.

Autonomous driving, is basically no different to anyone sleeping while someone else is driving(I'll add flying and being on a cruise ship). The passenger doesn't have control while sleeping.

I'm not saying that I trust to sleep in such a car but I find the concept intriguing.

Back