Volvo 240 Turbo Group A Volvo Dealer Team #10 Robbie Francevic 1985

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 2 comments
Australia
Australia
Volvo-240T1-344x226.jpg

vdt%20pic.jpg

The Volvo 240 Turbo’s assault on the Australasian touring car scene was originally orchestrated by Kiwi Mark Petch, who imported an ex-Belgian Touring Car Championship entry into the region ahead of the 1985 season.

Debuting in the hands of Robbie Francevic and Belgian Michele Delcourt with victory in that year’s Nissan Mobil 500 at Wellington, the car was first seen in Australia for the second round of the ATCC.

The car’s overtly boxy looks and unique performance characteristics coupled with Francevic’s typically aggressive style ensured it would make an instant impact with rivals and fans alike.

“There was Ford and Holden and anyone that didn’t support them hung their hat on Volvo,” Francevic recounted to Speedcafe.com during a 2011 interview.

“We had a huge following in Australia; the car was good and I had some bloody good races.”

The 1986 title was won after an early season team reshuffle that saw Petch sell the team and former Holden Dealer Team leader John Sheppard take the controls..

Full factory backing saw it morph into the Volvo Dealer Team from the third round of the season onwards.

Volvo 240 Turbo Group A key technical specifications

Engine
Volvo B21ET, turbocharged inline 4 cylinder, 1 overhead camshaft (belt-driven), 2 valves per cylinder
Approx performance: 250kw (320bhp) at 6,600rpm, 400nm at 6,000rpm

Transmission
5-speed Getrag manual with syncro

Chassis
Steel body work of unitary construction, 2 doors, five seats

Suspension
Front: independent struts with bottom wishbone, coil springs and Bilstein gas filled dampers, anti roll-bar
Rear: Live axle, 4-trailing arms and Panhard rod, coil springs and Bilstein gas filled dampers, anti roll-bar

Brakes
4 ventilated discs (315mm front, 305mm rear), 4 pot calipers

My all-time favorite race car.

EDIT: There were no five seats in these things though, just a driver seat. Minor error there.

EDIT 2: Also, both DTM and ETCC was won by Volvo 240 Turbo teams in 1985. I'd rather have them add any of those cars to be honest, but whatever.

Last edited:
Back