VW' Golf's?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Picc84
  • 22 comments
  • 1,096 views
Messages
1,151
Messages
AmuseR1
I'm about to buy my first car, and its gunna be an automatic, becasue its going to get the **** kicked out of it. My second is more than likly going to be again, a golf, but Probally a stick. Anyways! I was looking on your point of view's on the Golf's. What year you'd go with, and i'm only 16... so Money is kinda tight haha, maybe 7-8k MAX...

Also, If you own a golf and don't mind sharing your insurence payments, i'd like to know how much it is... PM if possible... I'm kinda scared, My friend owns a GTi and its costing him an arm and a leg...:indiff:
 
If your going to kick the **** out of a car do it in manual because I do believe they are more reliable and what not. Also I personally love vw's and would recommend one. I have no experience on any of them except the mkv's. I think a nice mkIII would suit you. Oh i'm 17 and I just got my license 2 months ago and still can't afford a car:indiff:.

:edit: Insurnace is probably going to be a b****. A 16 year old in a sports hatchback is going to kill. The jetta gli might be a better choice for insurnace becasue its a sedan.
 
What generation of Golf are you looking at getting? I've owned two Volkswagens in the past five years, one being a Fox and the other a Jetta (the sedan version of the Golf), however they were in fact older models.

I'm going to assume that you're an American, but I think the same rules apply in most cases:

- Be on the look out for models that look nice but have a long history of being troublesome. Volkswages look and drive great for a long time, and then come apart all at once... Or at least what has happened with me, it nickel and dimes you at that rate where it doesn't make you angry, its just inconvenient.

- Try your best to avoid problematic year ranges, but if you're buying in on one, give it a good look over to see whats right/wrong. The post-1996 MKIII cars were of less quality than their earlier predecessors, and with the switch to the MKIV platform in late 1999, I tend to find that 2002+ models are often the better choice when it comes to overall reliability.

- Chances are because that its your first car you will be getting one with the 2.0L 8V and the 4-speed automatic. The 2.0L is generally a pretty reliable engine (I have one in my Jetta), but they do like to overreact when the weather is overly wet or cold (read, doesn't want to start). That is mostly due to faulty distributor caps/coil packs (depends on the generation) and bad plug wires. The transmissions themselves seem to be fairly reliable as well, I know of very few issues with them in general, but be forewarned that they sap an infinite amount of BHP from the powerband.

- Quality issues like I said before can be hit and miss and as always depend on where the car was built, when it was built, and who was building it. My Jetta (1996) held up pretty well given that it was an early version of the mild changes that the car went through that year. We've had other VWs in the family that were absolutely wonderful, but then you deal with some small rattles, broken switches/buttons, and I seem to recall the electric window motor going out on Grandma's New Beetle (same car) not long after she bought it.

The main thing to remember with VW is that they truly are good cars, but you have to expect some level of problems, and furthermore, be able to afford it.

Do some research, look over the cars extensively, and you'll likely be happy. You have to understand what you're getting into, because if you want high quality and reliability, you're going to want to go elsewhere. But in that sense, I always go back to VW for their stellar driving dynamics, generally positive attitude, and the truly plush interior and fancy exterior that really separates them from the Toyotas and Hondas of the world.

I don't know if I'll replace my Jetta with another VW (Subaru seems to be playing a better game), but its still my second favorite company, and I'd be happy to help you with any questions you have.

===

Oh, and one more thing...

Insurance rates on average are going to be higher with a Volkswagen than most other cars. Full coverage on my Jetta with a $250 deductible and towing coverage runs me a little less than $120 a month. Playing with the numbers a bit, I could go a bit lower, but I'd say that for just about any VW, you're looking at the $110-150 range on a monthly basis.
 
...I have to lol at the Chevrolet Racing mats in the Volvo...

I'm not particularly fond of Volvo reliability (one recalls Doug's issues with them), but they aren't horrible either. It would likely be helpful to have a price in your head, and just shop around, see what you like. I didn't think I was going to like my Jetta at first, but after I drove it, I fell in love with it, and now I miss her dearly...

Volkswagens do that to you. They ruin you for life.
 
120-140 a year?! Isent that kinda allot? haha
 
For a '96, I'd say so, but it was a really nice car, so I like to have them covered. If I had gone down to PLPD, it would have only saved me like $20 a month, so I'd rather have it so the car can be fixed in case something ever happened.

Insurance isn't a fun game with any car, but yeah, its necessary.
 
Yeah, I'm looking to keep it to like, 1000-1200 a year.. :-\
 
Done.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/568422227.html

Only thing is, keep the $8k on hand. You'll need it for maintenance.

My my, if that 850 R was black on black I might want one. Too bad the reliability of older Volvos is speratic. Chances are those 800-series Volvos are on their third of fourth owners already. Which spells trouble in the reliability department.

As for the Golf discussion...if you get one get an older one. As in 1st or 2nd generation. Otherwise avoid German (or generally European cars) as your first car--not because they aren't reliable perse but because the repair costs will out-cost the car itself. Drive something built like a brick or wood burning stove. That being 80's-early 90's American w/V8 or something from Nissan or Toyota from 1900-2000.
 
Yeah, I'm looking to keep it to like, 1000-1200 a year.. :-\

I'd say its easily achievable if you stick to the lower-grade models (GL, GLS) and don't go overboard with your insurance provider. Go with a $500 deductible, and be choosy with your other bonus things (you'll likely get a discount for the alarm/demobilizer)... And make sure you get the student discount!

I'd say that your range is achievable, but you might go a little bit over...
 
No biggie. I'll more than likly be put on my parents plan, which will set it abit lower, and I'm an eagle scout, Hoping that gives me a discount... haha
 
You want a car you beat the **** out of? Get a clean mkII. There aren't many cars out there with more character. The numbers feel way faster than they are because the car feels so go-kart-like.

I can guarantee you will have more fun in a mkII Golf than a mkIII or mkIV.
 
Listen, when I saw imma beat the **** out of the car, I mean i'm a 16year old kid that just wants to go fast... lmao
 
I'm not particularly fond of Volvo reliability (one recalls Doug's issues with them), but they aren't horrible either.

No. They are horrible. I'm only recommending them jokingly - they are the least reliable cars ever manufactured.
 
Listen, when I saw imma beat the **** out of the car, I mean i'm a 16year old kid that just wants to go fast... lmao

My brother was 18 I think when he got his first car (92 Golf), he beat the crap out of it big time and if it weren't for some dodgy electronics, it would still be on the road today. A friend of mine has had a couple mkIII Jettas and they're not as fun as the 92 Golf we had in our driveway that year. I've driven a mkIV Jetta as well and that too isn't as soulful as the little mkII. It's just a fun car to drive and is also pretty cheap for a kid.
 
No. They are horrible. I'm only recommending them jokingly - they are the least reliable cars ever manufactured.

I think you're confusing them with the Yugo ;)
 
My brother was 18 I think when he got his first car (92 Golf), he beat the crap out of it big time and if it weren't for some dodgy electronics, it would still be on the road today. A friend of mine has had a couple mkIII Jettas and they're not as fun as the 92 Golf we had in our driveway that year. I've driven a mkIV Jetta as well and that too isn't as soulful as the little mkII. It's just a fun car to drive and is also pretty cheap for a kid.

The MKII cars are probably the most amount of fun that you can get in a newer car from VW. The MKIII models were watered down a bit more, but they were much more "comfortable" while still being fairly lightweight. Too bad they didn't have any horsepower...

The MKIV cars are heavy and squishy. They made some of them handle and perform quite well, but it became clear that they were selling the cars more for the "grown up" 25+ kids instead of the general 18-24 ones that the brand is supposed to appeal to.
 
I see what your saying... Does anyone drive a Accord 2-door?
 
Listen, when I saw imma beat the **** out of the car, I mean i'm a 16year old kid that just wants to go fast... lmao
then why the hell would you want a auto?
 
I see what your saying... Does anyone drive a Accord 2-door?

Never owned one but I have driven every generation of one. And, by surprise they are excellent coupes all around. In V6 trim they are a blast to drive, they will last forever if taken care of, and the resale value is higher than you'd expect.
 
I see what your saying... Does anyone drive a Accord 2-door?

I've driven the previous generation Accord sedan, and you're going to be hard-pressed to find one in the price range you're looking at. I drove a EX V6 with the automatic, and it has to be one of the nicest sedans I've ever driven. It had been my standard across the board for some time, however, that has been replaced by the brand-new Malibu for 2008.
 
Hah, yeah. See the problem with me trying to find out about what I can afford with insurence, is that I don't have a credit score, so I can't input anything for a quote... lmao
 
Back