VW GTS Funcup

Netherlands
Utrecht
YukinoSuzuka
Hello all!

I've to say that GranTurismoSport for me is far more a GranTurismoCreator now then an arcade-simracing game. I barely make km's and earn my daily bonus cars compared to the hours I spend throwing decals to my cars :D

FunCup1800pixels001.jpg

I've visited the VW Funcup last year on the TT circuit in Assen. The silhouette based cars with the shell of the VW Beetle (and a 1800cc engine we know from the Audi TT) will give you a smile on your face and you gotta be love them because they show what most people want to see in motorsports : Close but fair racing, wheel to wheel, slipstreaming and big starting grids + the class is especially there for you as a amateur driver to hop in and take part in this class as a gentleman driver. It should cost you around € 35.000 to have a beetle and start racing in this VW Funcup.

So, in GT Sport we sadly don't have the original VW Beetle in racetrim like we had in GT6.

9fa010461d33e025bca8f044617e5331_XL.jpg

I was thinking, would it be fun to adopt the fictional VW Beetle concept (semi VGT?) to have real cupracing with the GTplanet Funcup series?

People like me, who are creating more liveries then making miles, will create liveries for this series and like the real Funcup, adopt and give space to recreational gamers to take part in the races.

How to organize this GT Funcup, I've no idea actually, I hope somebody likes this idea and will take over that part of the idea..

For the one who likes to adopt this idea and organize races ;

I've seen there's also a IRS Superbug series held by @Antares26 ! I didn't talk to him yet because I don't know how or what to organize yet with this Funcup, but it will be nice to check his schedule and organize a season of races out of his season, which is right now.

I think both series could excists along eachother because the Funcup is for Gentlemen drivers (like in the real world), drivers who don't take simracing serious just yet, just exploring the fun of online battles and this funcup could be Superbug's little brother.

VW-Fun-Cup-racen-mettet-2016-600x250.jpg

Let's talk about the Funcup livery part !!

Like I've said I visited this series last year and there are some details I've seen that are important to make a good Funcup livery !

Car : VW Beetle Gr.3

- Basic paints are allowed, Special Paints are allowed, except the flakes, metallic and chrome
stuff, I won't like to see (not likely on a VW funcup car)

- Gradients are allowed to give decals and forms more depth. NO gradient colour changes !!

- No anime liveries please !!

- Don't go for the big brands too easily ! Brands like McDonalds, Monster Energy had their apprearance in previous years, so they are automatically allowed. Try to find out which brands will suit the Funcup and vice versa.

- Update ; Racing Numbers !!
Pick your own favourite racing number in your favourite font (higher numbers are more likely in the VW Funcup then numbers below the 20 mark), or the number of your favourite livery for the perfect replica !! The racing numbers made by Gran turismo are ugly and far of the scale for what I've seen in the VW Funcup, for example ↓

886x498_05b_2015-07-12_vwmosp_newsletter2015_14.JPG

- Replica's or inspired from the real Funcup are allowed and wanted, check this ↓

The following liveries are 'highly' wanted !

8674e1e200d7889c131b048fbe72ca44d664ba39.jpg

Search for Big Mac Racing, McDonalds (duh) and Leader Racing

VW-Fun-Cup-2015-Trendy-Foods.JPG

monster.jpeg

Monster Energy, there's also this new and darker livery sponsored by Monster, but very hard to find good quality pictures of that car except the design sketch. Team name is Monster Trendy.

carpass2.jpeg

Car-Pass LRE, one of the funniest liveries I've seen. Sadly we can't place decals on the rear side windows.. This is the livery for up coming season.

splcmfqw.jpg

qwaqlkdp.jpg

Search for Lisalux Racing, Biplaces category (you can drive with him as a passenger) and Stéphane Loesel

VWFunCup50-website-.JPG

This livery is a bit older, haven't seen it on the 2018 grid at Assen, but the livery looks cool and I think it would look cool in GTS edition !

DRM2018Zandvoort06-1024x683.jpg

Although this is an older picture, the livery didn't change over the past years. Search for Christophe d’Ansembourg or #917 in the 2018 season.

6d766272631492746bef49802ebd43159cb1ddca.jpg

Search for DRM Motorsport, Maxime Martin and ROWE (another duh)

- Use humor in your livery if you've a fun idea, but keep it simple and not rude.

- A few decals (new decals are coming tomorrow or friday morning) are obligated and I'll upload a chart which and where to place the decals.

7143347896218288652_0.jpg

Hankook is the main tire supplier of the VW funcup. Use the right Hankook decal from the original brand shop and place them on the front bumper like the picture above.

Kronos Events (link to decal) is the organizer of the VW funcup (in the real world), place this decal I've uploaded above the windshield of your livery, not to small, not to big.

The Total decal in the middle isn't obligated, but it looks nice and please don't make it to big !

6998665360076440076_0.jpg

The 3rd decal that's obligated to use is the Total logo. You may use the original Total logo from the brand logo's we got. Or a Total logo (without that Total 'ball' thing) you think it suits your livery the best way.

Because I'll upload another decal for the side skirt, the Total decal will suit the best in front of the rear fender, so the white with red decal in the picture, is the perfect spot.

The new PubliEpic decal, seen in my WIP pics below, will fit right under the doors. There are coming to of them. Green + white and green + black. Decals will be uploaded before friday evening !

The Kronos Events decal is obligated at the front part of the side spoiler.

7142780554592649732_0.jpg

At the rear I've decided to give a bit more space of freedom. In the real VW Funcup the Hankook decals are placed low on the rear, but that doesn't look good on this car. So, place the Hankook twice under each taillight or go like this way, place a big Hankook decal like the picture above.

The Total decal isn't obligated on the rear.

racb.jpg
publiaplic.jpg

I'll upload these two new decals I would really like to see on the bug ! The first one, the Royal Belgium Motorways decal, would fit the best somehwere low on the front or rear fender, both sides but tiny, as big as a beer coaster I guess. The second decal I'll upload it twice, in black and white, for the side skirt under the driver/passenger door.

Sharing your Livery / Team and or Sponsor

- Liveries should be shared in Gran Turismo in the following order ;
#gtplanet
#vwfuncup
#teamname or #mainsponsor (not literally of course) :D

- Liveries have to be shared in this thread. Like in the Livery Editor Contest, we use the Bold coloured text like this ;

Team Name

Links & sources

VW Funcup EU site

Video montage of Assen 2018 , could be helpful to pick your favourite replica livery or get the feel for this amazingly adorable cars :D:P

@vwfuncupoff Official Instagram of the VW Funcup ! Lots of images here !

Autosport.be/vwfuncup Lot's of photo's on and off track. Sadly only in Dutch/Flamish language.
b8dc830119722302bd87d41475d50f69354ee345.jpg

Article // (This would be an awesome livery too for 'our' funcup !) :D

Links to decals, some decals are low in detail, but they are as tiny as a business card.

Kronos decal

VW Funcup decal part 1 & part 2

PubliEpic decal, Green and White // Black

Free to use ;

Royal Automobile Club Belgium

Belgian VW Club

Classic 21

laDeux

Autographe

Champagne DeCastellano

**Feel free to upload better versions of the above decals (and share them if you like)

Tips

- A lot of the liveries in the Volkswagen Funcup have some crazy patterns on them. Like the low poly camouflage, stripes, triangles etc etc.

- Some Beetles I've seen on the net and in real live, have a special finsih, matte or chrome, so it's only possible to give all decals the same finish there's a rule to break. You may use chrome or special paint ONLY if you use that for a decal or pattern on the front of back of the car. It isn't allowed to have the whole car in chrome or flakes.

- Many of the liveries I've seen are asymmetrical !

- Do you want to make a replica or you're working on it? Let us know, so not everyone is working on the Monster energy Beetle or the M&M's livery ! ;)

I've uploaded this VW Funcup decal in two parts. If I did it correctly, dublicate one of the two decals and repolace it with the other part ! This decal isn't obligated, but looks nice on the front clam, fenders or roof ! See the links section for all the decals I'm planning to upload for the funcup !

Last edited:
Double.. For who like to adopt this idea as an organizer ; Check my comment between spoiler tags !!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Superbug already ended about a month ago. Though someone might be willing to run a separate Funcup series out there, they could surely use livery guides like these.

Unfortunately, Superbug already ended about a month ago. Though someone might be willing to run a separate Funcup series out there, they could surely use livery guides like these.

So, it wasn't a success and there won't be a 3rd season of the IRS Superbug series? Do you like/envy this idea?

English isn't my mother language and sometimes I don't understand it like now, does it block your ambitions with Superbug??

So, it wasn't a success and there won't be a 3rd season of the IRS Superbug series? Do you like/envy this idea?

English isn't my mother language and sometimes I don't understand it like now, does it block your ambitions with Superbug??
Let's just say it will be a while before the next season. Superbug is not the only series we run at IRS.

Let's just say it will be a while before the next season. Superbug is not the only series we run at IRS.

Thanks for the clarification 👍

Meanwhile, I've decided to make two liveries for this future (?) championship.
One replica team and an unique design I thing it will look cool on the grid.

The replica I'm working on ATM is this Beetle ;

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit : WIP time :D

8575505772463522308_0.jpg

8440402181556798988_0.jpg

Forgot to share the new 'obligated' decals, will share them a.s.a.p.

Last edited:
Thread opening updated with ;

- Wanted liveries ! :D
- Links (would update this in the upcoming weeks)
- Youtube video of the last weekend at Assen, 07-10-2018 (not recorded by me)

There's are a new couple of obligated decals I like to see on the side skirts. I'm going to upload the decals as soon as possible !

My attempt at a livery for this series and and alternate version
https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/profile/1632971/gallery/carLivery
8583954417597841932_0.jpg

8584517377886028292_0.jpg

8584517375604327948_0.jpg

6989665863842398724_0.jpg

6999236013184779788_0.jpg

6998677463830102532_0.jpg

Thnx Adam for sharing your livery ! 👍

What I forgot aqbout to mention, is NOT to use the GT Sport racing numbers !! Also a point to mention !!

As far as I know it's possible to use your own racing numbers in the lobby section, without liveries being screwed by these large clumsy decals by GranTurismo itselfs. Your livery did remind me of this important detail and I'll update the thread openings post ! Thanks about that :D

Question ; What are the RS-R decals ? Looks like Nissan or a bit 'fanboy' ish.. If you do understand what I mean ? ;)

Also, I think the FW funcup logo behind the back window looks better in a black or dark grey colour instead of the original colours (on the alternate version). Cool simple livery have to say 👍

I like the simplicity, there are many of them also in the real VW funcup, but your livery miss some decals yet and I'll upload the missing obligate decals before friday afternoon.

So, if people now are busy with a livery, keep calm, you don't have to share it ASAP, there are a few decals on your way AND we don't have a deadline!

:gtpflag:

Thnx Adam for sharing your livery ! 👍

What I forgot aqbout to mention, is NOT to use the GT Sport racing numbers !! Also a point to mention !!

As far as I know it's possible to use your own racing numbers in the lobby section, without liveries being screwed by these large clumsy decals by GranTurismo itselfs. Your livery did remind me of this important detail and I'll update the thread openings post ! Thanks about that :D

Question ; What are the RS-R decals ? Looks like Nissan or a bit 'fanboy' ish.. If you do understand what I mean ? ;)

Also, I think the FW funcup logo behind the back window looks better in a black or dark grey colour instead of the original colours (on the alternate version). Cool simple livery have to say 👍

I like the simplicity, there are many of them also in the real VW funcup, but your livery miss some decals yet and I'll upload the missing obligate decals before friday afternoon.

So, if people now are busy with a livery, keep calm, you don't have to share it ASAP, there are a few decals on your way AND we don't have a deadline!

:gtpflag:

Thanks for the feedback, some fine tuning will be done and maybe some more flair will be added as well, edit: RS-R make high performance components for racing/ rally cars

Very cool idea! I'll definitly try to find some time to make one or more liveries.

But I don't really understand the "no special paint" rule. Fluorecent/matte colors perfectly fit a funcup car

Last edited:
Very cool idea! I'll definitly try to find some time to make one or more liveries.

But I don't really understand the "no special paint" rule. Fluorecent/matte colors perfectly fit a funcup car

Hmm, interesting idea, I thought about metallic paints, chrome and flakes.. but you've a point there ! 👍

Edit : I will update the first post tomorrow with following changes :

- new links to typical (obligated & free ) decals for the VW funcup.

- Change in rules for using special paints, except the flaky shiny (metallic) stuff.

- Maybe some new links to sites and social media users for good resources if you wanna make a replica/inspired livery by an existing livery.

Edit 2 : Added the links to decals, new links to sources (photo's) and changes for the rules of using Special paints, thanks to @RealJaySee

It means you can use special paints, the real car paints too (not if it's 'too' metallic, chrome or flaky), fluorescence or matte colour 👍

Last edited:
It's been a while !

A few days after my last post in this thread. I thought about making a GT Planet themed car. Not long after that I saw this 'celebration' bonus contest to celebrate one year LEC on GT Planet and that gave me the idea to make something cool. Common User names that have competed in the LEC editions or created cool liveries.

Team Entry ; #TeamPlanetLEC

4611691597818495520_23.jpg

Download #526 link

5909285736856716840_23.jpg

Download #625 link

Latest Posts

Back