Wanna learn to play piano/keyboardMusic 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Patrik
  • 6 comments
  • 930 views

Patrik

(Banned)
Messages
2,231
Messages
GTP_Patrik
First off... Can everybody learn to play piano/keyboard? Or do you got to have some sort of innate talent?

Does it help learning to read notes first, or is it something that comes with the training?

Is it better to start with piano rather with a keyboard? I've heard it's better finger training to start with a piano? With piano anyway I have to go to a class or something since it's a little too expensive to buy one.

A keyboard is affordable and it doesn't take up much space. But then, is it easy to learn on your own or do I still have to go to some kind of class?

Any other hints and tips?

Thanks



Patrik
 
Last edited:
If you want to learn an instrument, go for it. Don't wait until you can afford classes, find a good teacher etc. etc. If you do get a keyboard, try to get one with at least a sustain pedal.

With Piano it will help to learn to read music, and it will help to take lessons. You don't HAVE to do either one, but they'll help.

I'd recommend starting with scales and chords. Pay attention to fingering and practice sight reading some easy pieces.

Also, it helps a ton to be familiar with songs before you start playing them.
 
Agreed with Danoff, although reading the notes can be difficult to start with so there's where I would contact someone with knowledge about it.

Another smart thing to do, each note on the piano has a key (for example F, etc.) so when you've got your instrument, look the scales up on the internet and mark them on your piano with a pencil, this could help you.

Lessons and papers are never necessary with instruments, but it is the key to really master the instrument itself. I've had lessons earlier in my life, but I now play three instruments where I do not use anything to learn it. All I looked up is ways to place your hands right, the rest is a matter of personal instinct and creativity. It's the mind that creates the music, and not the papers.

That's why I also think you must just grab a piano or keyboard, there's really no difference, and just play with it. When your hands are used to the piano, the music will come from you, and that's the key to music, music is something personal. (Hence why I cannot stand people to be even near me when I'm playing guitar, bass or piano)

:cheers:
 
Thanks for the advices guys!

I think my dad has a 4 octave keyboard. Is that enough to get started?
 
Yeah, it's good enough for you to memorize the keys and play simple songs. But after a while you'll have to get a larger one.
 
Definitely 👍

pss270.jpg


My little cousin and I both started out with this... (yes, those are mini keys!) I never learned and I have enjoyed creating music with a keyboard for ages and even played in a band once, but it didn't come to anything much! (although the band is still around!). My cousin, however, studied music and took lessons (keyboard, not piano) and is now a pro.

I would argue that lessons can maybe stifle creativity a bit, but teaching yourself (or just playing about) is likely to foster bad habits that might limit what you can achieve - ultimately, if you plan to be a serious musician, then lessons are essential for atleast some of the way (and the earlier the better). Your "inate talent" will still be there when you get back :p

I found that learning my way around musical scales was easy with a piano/keyboard, and that meant that I was easily able to transfer song-writing/creative skills to the guitar when I switched to that.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, it's good enough for you to memorize the keys and play simple songs. But after a while you'll have to get a larger one.
Ok, thanks! Yeah, if I feel I'm getting into it I'll perhaps get a full size keyboard/digital piano (if I find myself a god damn job sometime that is! :ouch:).
Definitely 👍
My little cousin and I both started out with this...
That one looks very familiar, must be similar to the one my pop has.

He lives pretty far away from here though, so it's probably gonna take a while before I can try it out...

Anyway, I've been trying to learn a few chords and how to position my fingers. I know the notes and some chords such as major, minor and 7th. Damn I sound childish! :lol:
 
Back