Warming tires/brakes.....

• Thread starter Bluntified
  • 14 comments
Canada
Sauga City
Bluntified
Hey guys/gals, Does anyone know if I skip the practice session and go straight to qualifying or race, will my tires and brakes be ready to go or will they be cold?

Side question (depending on answer from above): Can I start a practice session, warm my tires/brakes, then exit - then start qualifying with warm tires/brakes?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys/gals, Does anyone know if I skip the practice session and go straight to qualifying or race, will my tires and brakes be ready to go or will they be cold?

Side question (depending on answer from above): Can I start a practice session, warm my tires/brakes, then exit - then start qualifying with warm tires/brakes?

Thanks in advance.
I think tire and brakes are ready to warm when start race or so.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I didn't want to skip the practice or qualifying and end up with cold tires. I just had my first taste of cold tires and I don't like them at all :lol:.

Your tires will be cold in any case. Its not like you practice and then jump right into the race, The practice session and the race might not even be the same day. Same for the qualifier.

Just plan on starting with cold tires and be careful until the tires heat up.

It's not hard to warm them up a little either. Just weave a little when you first come out of the pits to get a bit of heat into the fronts, and be gentle on the throttle for half a lap or so, and they'll be fine. They should still be blue in most cases, but they'll have enough heat into them to not be deadly lol.

Usually your tyres start warmed up for the race, I'm guessing due to the warm up lap having been completed prior to lining up on the grid. You'll only have to deal with cold tyres at the start of each practice and quali session (unless it's a series that uses tyre blankets), so you can afford to take extra care on the out lap to warm them up.

Your tires will be cold in any case. Its not like you practice and then jump right into the race, The practice session and the race might not even be the same day. Same for the qualifier.

Ya, I found that practice and qualifying (so far) have both been starting with cold tires while races start with warm.

In the end I've decided just to stick it out, the practice session has proved valuable to me. I've also noticed that at the very start of the actual race/sprint, even with warm/green tires it still has that 'cold feeling' but not entirely cold, I guess from standing.

Thanks for all your inputs, much appreciated. :cheers:

In the end I've decided just to stick it out, the practice session has proved valuable to me. I've also noticed that at the very start of the actual race/sprint, even with warm/green tires it still has that 'cold feeling' but not entirely cold, I guess from standing.
Transition from cold to warm is very gradual indeed. Even when still blue (but nearly green) you'll notice them become more drivable. Same for transition from green to red, you'll notice grip going away quite earlier. 👍

In the quick race settings you can choose to do the warm up lap yourself. I've not tried this yet, but I intend to. I'm so inconsistent I could lose before I start :crazy:

I seem to be struggling with tyre temps and keeping them hot enough , normally they are around the mid 70's . Racing on 80% in the GT3 RUF and very competitive but just lacking heat .

I seem to be struggling with tyre temps and keeping them hot enough , normally they are around the mid 70's . Racing on 80% in the GT3 RUF and very competitive but just lacking heat .
Try closing the brake ducts. Heat transfers from the brake discs to the tires so closing the brake ducts should help with this. You can also try lowering the air pressure in the tires which should help. You also have to be pushing pretty hard to get the maximum heat in the tires. Try that and see if it works.

Try closing the brake ducts. Heat transfers from the brake discs to the tires so closing the brake ducts should help with this. You can also try lowering the air pressure in the tires which should help. You also have to be pushing pretty hard to get the maximum heat in the tires. Try that and see if it works.

Thanks , I had a fiddle earlier after watching the telemetry of other cars and realised there brakes were a lot hotter than mine , so I closed up the ducts and voila nice warm tyres .

My races usually start with warm tyres as a normal race would... I presume there's been some hidden weaving on the fantasy install lap.

That said, the brakes are usually warm-ish but not at full temp.

Yes the tires are warm for the race, or have been in all the races I have ran. When I looked at the info on the race it says each race starts with a formation lap. Apparently this formation lap is simulated and that is where the weaving would take place to warm up the tires before pulling into the starting grid.

Back