was about world domination, plans change though right?

  • Thread starter Thread starter land sea air
  • 55 comments
  • 1,854 views
I just discovered today that the car also came with the very rare optional rat's nest under the battery, thankfully cleaned it out before it became a fire hazard. I wonder if European rats are smarter than US rats?
 
I just discovered today that the car also came with the very rare optional rat's nest under the battery, thankfully cleaned it out before it became a fire hazard. I wonder if European rats are smarter than US rats?

:lol::lol:

As long as it's an EDM rat's nest, you can sell it on ebay.
 
:lol::lol:

As long as it's an EDM rat's nest, you can sell it on ebay.

DAMN!!! you think I could have gotten more on fleabay? I listed it on craigslist and some guy told me he'd send me a cashiers check and I can contact his shipper... sounds good to me 👍
 
DAMN!!! you think I could have gotten more on fleabay? I listed it on craigslist and some guy told me he'd send me a cashiers check and I can contact his shipper... sounds good to me 👍

:lol:

That's funny. I think craigslist was a good idea, it's a faster sell, and one doesn't have to deal with paypal.
 
well if the wrecked 124 sells tomorrow, that will be 2 cars sold and one car bought on craigslist within about a month!


The 500SE is going to get me thrown in jail!!
 
💡 It is a 126... Find thine self some Pentas!
Like these?

b2006bb1.jpg
 
Like these?

:sex:
yeah, like those. John has 2 sets, one are real and black, the other are standard finish knock offs. The knocks offs were on the car he loaned me last week and the black ones are currently not being used... which is a crime if you ask me.
 
So now that I've sold the wrecked 124 I had, I've ordered some parts for the 126, this weekend I'll be doing the bad wheel bearing, replacing the rotted alternator belt, and replacing the thermostat which seems to be causing the engine to run a little cold. Might replace the drivers side heating monovalve if I find a decent one in the junk yard.

In other news, while replacing spark plugs I discovered several things; 1. the wires are very fragile and one came apart. John happened to have an extra one so that will be a band aid until I can afford a full set ($120 :scared:). 2. some idiot at some point installed plugs in 2 cylinders that were wrong in many ways (5/8ths vs 13/16ths, Bosch platinum 2 which are generally frowned upon, and probably wrong thread size) and now I can't get two of the new plugs in!! 3. at some point during all this the idle speed decided to rise to about 1200rpm (!!!!) which makes anything involving the shift selector very interesting indeed! ah the joys of new old car ownership :)

in other other news it seems I've been playing Russian Roulette with 3 rounds in the chamber as both front ball joints on my 124 look like a Terrier got a hold of them. Good thing I let my girlfriend drive it today.
 
:scared:

So, the previous owner was a true man of genius?
 
I guess so, someone obviously took very good care of the car for a long time but it also looks like someone who didn't know what they were doing worked on the car recently.
 
i like centros (sp) better than pentas

sounds familiar but I can't picture it, can you show me what they look like?

EDIT: almost forgot what we did this weekend!!

original plans were just to do the wheel bearing, the alternator belt, the thermostat, and to fix the 1500rpm idle. Heres what we ended up getting done:
cleaned idle speed air valve (fixed idle, very easy job)
tightened spark plugs and finally got the new spark plugs in on the two that had the wrong size before, seemed to be running smoother.
changed oil (kind of a "why not" thing since he has an oil vac and happened to have extra supplies that I would have needed)
replaced wheel bearing
while replacing wheel bearing discovered that front shocks were worthless, replaced with lightly used Bilsteins (:))
removed the emissions air pump that wasn't hooked up anyways.
replaced alternator belt
replaced thermostat
bent drivers door back into place (wasn't quite straight, causing wind noise and slight leakage)
lubed sunroof and drivers seat rails
replaced US headlights with euro lights (yay, I am very happy we got this done as it is better in every way, vacuum height adjust doesn't work yet and reflectors still need some cleaning but they work fine for now.)

car still needs alignment, monovalves for heat, and spark plug wires but overall it's coming along very nicely EXCEPT!!



I had to open my big mouth and say how smoothly everything was going (usually doesn't with old cars) and sure enough once everything was finished went to turn the key and "click" :grumpy: bad alternator!!!
 
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I'M A FREAKING IDIOT


apparently the hood didn't latch all the way today when I made a small tweak and on the test drive it came open at about 40mph! I'm ok and the windshield is ok but I think the hood may be trashed...
 
Updated the first post, trying to sell the wrecked car and I bought a new car :)

Nice car! 👍👍
So only Mercs you buy?
 
No safety catch?

apparently it didn't catch or something, I know it needed to be lubed but there was no sign of trouble (flapping or excessive gap) until BAAM!! :(


@NoxNoctis yes all the cars I have owned by myself have been Mercedes Benz, pretty good luck so far. I've only been stranded once by a bad transmission in over 25k of Mercedes driving!!
 
Well get a new hood, but install a ram-air system into it! ;)
 
lol a 126 with a hood scoop would send the Mercedes Mafia after me, if it can't be saved I might go with an SEC hood
 
Oh it's fine, you can just buff them out! :lol:
 
lol a 126 with a hood scoop would send the Mercedes Mafia after me, if it can't be saved I might go with an SEC hood

!!!!!


:drool:

Good idea. I approve of that theory...
 
haha yeah, I'll ask John later today if his parts SEC has a hood

in the meantime, here are some pics of Greyhound I just took at work, hopefully it'll get a bath tomorrow.



 
Will an SEC hood fit any other 126?

I still like the idea. I wouldn't mind an SEC grille on my 124... :dopey:
 
unless done very well SEC hood look very ugly on a 124... Apparently it won't fit on my car very well either.
 
Back