Watch Real Onboard 4K Footage of a Gran Turismo Legend: The Toyota GT-One

• Thread starter Famine
  • 18 comments
Well then, looks like that's another channel for me to subscribe to.

I wouldn't mind a proper Le Mans sequel if it were shot with this kind of cinematography. Certainly would be alot easier nowadays, namely the size of cameras being used :lol:

Last edited:
A radical car for its time, with perhaps the most aggressive front diffuser design of any car at the time....
1690208342930.png
ToyotaGT-One-MS5.jpg

Now the big question. Is this coming to the game? Will this ever come to the game? 🤣
I think that if the Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak Special got added, then it's highly likely that this car will be added, too. Especially with PD's current relationship with Toyota. But I would also hope that if the TS020 returns, the similarly-classed Bentley Speed 8 would be added, too.

Last edited:
Of those 3 that raced in 1999, the number #2 car is the only one that doesn't exist anymore. It was totalled during the 1999 race after it had a puncture and ended Thierry Boutsen's career, former F1 driver and 3x GP winner (1990 and 1991 with Williams IIRC).

The number #3 is the most famous, it's the only chassis that competed in both the 1998 and 1999 Le Mans of the 7 GT-Ones made and of course, it's the one that finished 2nd chasing down the leading BMW V12 LMR and also set the fastest lap of the race.

Also to note that pace wasn't this Toyota's problem against the V12 LMR, but the puncture problems and even more so, the fuel economy. The BMW could go on 1 or even 2 more laps per stint in comparison to the GT-One.

Like really, this is probably the best car that never won Le Mans. And it would've been even more of an icon than it already is if it had done so. What a huge shame.

Of those 3 that raced in 1999, the number #2 car is the only one that doesn't exist anymore. It was totalled during the 1999 race after it had a puncture and ended Thierry Boutsen's career, former F1 driver and 3x GP winner (1990 and 1991 with Williams IIRC).

The number #3 is the most famous, it's the only chassis that competed in both the 1998 and 1999 Le Mans of the 7 GT-Ones made and of course, it's the one that finished 2nd chasing down the leading BMW V12 LMR and also set the fastest lap of the race.

Also to note that pace wasn't this Toyota's problem against the V12 LMR, but the puncture problems and even more so, the fuel economy. The BMW could go on 1 or even 2 more laps per stint in comparison to the GT-One.

Like really, this is probably the best car that never won Le Mans. And it would've been even more of an icon than it already is if it had done so. What a huge shame.
There have been soo many "what if" stories at Le Mans.

Those moments when the Pescarolo and the a Panoz Esperante GTR-1 show up while in the driver's seat of a Toyota GT-ONE: super surreal moment for any Gran Turismo fan.

Looks like a typical GT lobby with all those driving errors at the start.
I mean to be fair, I've had my share of wet Lobby races and watching people off in Turn 1 is par the course :lol:

Last edited:
Seeing that made me cringe in places.
One mistake and the car is damaged and the history with it.

It's more amazing that it is an icon considering its flaws and failures although I suppose its failures in 1999 were vastly overshadowed by the Mercedes-Benz CLR; the CLR really saved the TS020's blushes. Toyota could have kept working on it, I suppose, but they withdrew from sportscars to focus exclusively on their F1 project.

Latest Posts

Back