Water Temperatures

• Thread starter azidahaka
  • 16 comments
Italy
Italy
karsten_beoulve
What are the correct water temperatures while racing? I noticed that my top speed and engine response is weaker the more laps i do in most tracks, so i went and checked the temperature of water in case it might be engine overheating and i may be losing some hps....

They usually sit at around 97°C (that means 206.6F)... Is that too high? should i short shift more?

@dirtbiker535

If you use the full telemetry HUD, I think it's under options>gameplay>HUD or similar, I'm not at my PS4 to check. It shows you literally everything you need to know, even suspension movements.

What are the correct water temperatures while racing? I noticed that my top speed and engine response is weaker the more laps i do in most tracks, so i went and checked the temperature of water in case it might be engine overheating and i may be losing some hps....

They usually sit at around 97°C (that means 206.6F)... Is that too high? should i short shift more?
Around 97 is fine, but you will also want to check the oil temp as well.

Not trying to steal this thread but where does it actually show the temps?
From the telemetry as already mentioned, but also some cars will have a dash temp gauge (water and/or oil) depending on if the original car had it, with most of the race cars and some of the road cars you can also assign the MoTEC to a button (I have mine on the right dpad button) and this will allow you to cycle through various dash options or MoTEC screen options.

GT3 cars for example will run through digital dash (gear, rpm, etc.) to lap timer, position, splits, etc to tyre, brake, oil and water temps.

This video shows the MoTEC screen displaying tyre and brake temps as an example.

The Motec would be much more useful if it was part of the basic hud rather than only in car. I don't care for interior view and when I do drive that view I want the FOV set closer to the front so my view is not obstructed so much by the interior of the car, I also don't like having the drivers hands and wheel on screen but in some cars the Motec is on the wheel so you loose it when you remove the wheel.

The display of the motec is also small and hard to read for those of us whose vision has been better.

Another issue is the side view mirrors you have to have the FOV so far back to see them it is like being in the back seat and totally ruins the experience of driving IMO. Would be nice to have optional side view mirrors as part of the basic hud so as to be able to have access to them no matter what view or FOV you choose, same with the motec or other light/gauge for oil and water. IRL I have never saw a car that did not have at least "idiot lights" to warn you of overheating and low oil pressure. These are not a factor in most games as they do not matter or not even tracked but in this game they are important and need to be available in all views.

One other issue with the display hud is the digital tac is very hard to read. The bar on it is hard to see and there really is no way to see what the actual number of revs are using it. The round tac that is on some cars is much easier to read/see. It would not be as bad if it did not disappear when the telemetry is pulled up so at least then you could see the numeric readout in the telemetry and see the percentage of the bar on the tac. As is it makes it a bit difficult to find the best shift points for different cars.

Another issue is the side view mirrors you have to have the FOV so far back to see them it is like being in the back seat and totally ruins the experience of driving IMO.

They have said they're working on proper triple-screen support, which should (mostly) fix this issue. Right now the side monitors are warped/stretched (like R3E), so you don't see out of them properly.

They have said they're working on proper triple-screen support, which should (mostly) fix this issue. Right now the side monitors are warped/stretched (like R3E), so you don't see out of them properly.

Actually no that would not do anything at all for me. It is not a matter of not being able to see out of them correctly it is a matter of the only way to get them on the screen is to be in cockpit view and sitting in the back seat making the view ahead very obstructed by stuff like the roof of the car, dashboard side doors and other such stuff.

I do not use nor do I intend to use 3 monitors nor will the majority of other players. Only a very small minority will use triple screens so that is not a solution. Adding the mirrors as optional to the basic hud will solve the issue and make the game better for online racing.

I really don't get why some people like cockpit views in games. They are never anywhere near like driving in a real car either you sit back to where you can see the gauges and mirror or you sit forward to where you can see the road but no gauges and no mirrors.

Actually no that would not do anything at all for me. It is not a matter of not being able to see out of them correctly it is a matter of the only way to get them on the screen is to be in cockpit view and sitting in the back seat making the view ahead very obstructed by stuff like the roof of the car, dashboard side doors and other such stuff.

I do not use nor do I intend to use 3 monitors nor will the majority of other players. Only a very small minority will use triple screens so that is not a solution. Adding the mirrors as optional to the basic hud will solve the issue and make the game better for online racing.

I really don't get why some people like cockpit views in games. They are never anywhere near like driving in a real car either you sit back to where you can see the gauges and mirror or you sit forward to where you can see the road but no gauges and no mirrors.

Geez.......sorrrrrrrrry!! I'll start playing exactly the way you do from now on, my mistake.

Geez.......sorrrrrrrrry!! I'll start playing exactly the way you do from now on, my mistake.
Not sure what I should take from that. No where did I even hint that you should play it the same way as me.

You play however you want. The point was that if they do or do not have proper triple monitor support does nothing to address the things I was talking about.

Not sure what I should take from that. No where did I even hint that you should play it the same way as me.

You play however you want. The point was that if they do or do not have proper triple monitor support does nothing to address the things I was talking about.

You seemed rather bothered that people play using cockpit view. :odd: I was just trying to provide info, didn't know your racing setup but I had just been discussing with some other people (using triples) how triple screen support would let us see our side mirrors so it was fresh in my head. The hostile reply was a bit unexpected.

But to be fair, none of the sims I use let you see the side mirror (in most cars) if you have your FOV set correctly so I'm not sure how that's a pCARS problem.

I don't drive my truck while riding on the front bumper or the bonnet or the roof..so cockpit is the most realistic view for me even with it's flaws. I do prefer the cockpit view adjustments in AC though. You could get closer to the dash and also move towards the centre of the car which while not realistic, did give you more unobstructed view of the road and you could still see the dash and virtual mirror of course.

Cockpit view is better when shifted far forward so as to give a better view of the road ahead and less obstruction. Of course then you can't see the instruments nor the mirrors.

I would say none of the views are really what you would have in a car but hood view with the hud on is my preference. The only downside[or upside] is that you are not looking through the windscreen so no wipers.

When I drive my real car I never notice the roof line of the car at all, definitely does not obstruct my vision in any way unless of course I flip down the visor. The instruments and such are visible but not in direct FOV so they do not obstruct the FOV.

At any rate it is fine if others like cockpit view for whatever reason but it is not for me.

Yes games typically do not add side view mirrors as part of the hud but that does not mean they shouldn't do so. I'm not saying it is a pCars problem but rather it is an omission from pCars as well as most other games that really should be included as an option in all views.

I play in cockpit for open cockpit cars that have good visibility, and bonnet view in tin top cars. I play on ps4, so no chance of triple screens, otherwise I'd go that way and always use cockpit view. I don't really care what view people think is more realistic when I can't look around and move around like I can when racing irl. When morpheus comes out I might get that, because only with vr will cockpit view actually be realistic.

WT 40 OILT 44 for the McLaren F1 GTR Long Tail

Knipsel.PNG

The Motec would be much more useful if it was part of the basic hud rather than only in car. I don't care for interior view and when I do drive that view I want the FOV set closer to the front so my view is not obstructed so much by the interior of the car, I also don't like having the drivers hands and wheel on screen but in some cars the Motec is on the wheel so you loose it when you remove the wheel.

The display of the motec is also small and hard to read for those of us whose vision has been better.

Another issue is the side view mirrors you have to have the FOV so far back to see them it is like being in the back seat and totally ruins the experience of driving IMO. Would be nice to have optional side view mirrors as part of the basic hud so as to be able to have access to them no matter what view or FOV you choose, same with the motec or other light/gauge for oil and water. IRL I have never saw a car that did not have at least "idiot lights" to warn you of overheating and low oil pressure. These are not a factor in most games as they do not matter or not even tracked but in this game they are important and need to be available in all views.

One other issue with the display hud is the digital tac is very hard to read. The bar on it is hard to see and there really is no way to see what the actual number of revs are using it. The round tac that is on some cars is much easier to read/see. It would not be as bad if it did not disappear when the telemetry is pulled up so at least then you could see the numeric readout in the telemetry and see the percentage of the bar on the tac. As is it makes it a bit difficult to find the best shift points for different cars.

I'm using helmet cam, FOV at 50 on a 50" display. I can't see the car's mirrors so I use the virtual one. Hopefully they will add blindspot indicators in future.

I've raised the seat position by about 5 clicks. Now I just adjust the seat angle up or down until I can just see the dash display at the bottom of the screen.

If there's information on the steering wheel it does not get removed when you turn off wheel/driver. It is still displayed and remains stationary.

I used to hate cockpit view in GT6 but I love it in Project Cars. I find it very immersive.

Latest Posts

Back