Weight reduction/ballast question

• Thread starter LondonSV
  • 5 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
London-SV
Unsure exactly how to ask this but I hope someone understands.

If I give my car a weight reduction, say for arguments sake stage stage 1 takes off 50kg of weight, pp was at 420, now at 430 with the weight reduction.

I then add that 50kg back to my car in either the -50 or +50 position, will my pp then go back to 420 or will it be higher as I'm using that weight to my advantage?

Sorry I'm not at my PS3 for the week so cannot test but this is something I've been wondering the last couple of days, since I tend to try and get my cars as close to 50/50 as possible without adding too much weight.

Thanks in advance

I know shifting the weight from position 0 alters pp slightly, I'm not sure whether you go back to your original pp by adding the weight lost through weight reduction though.

Reducing weigth and adding it back in as ballast does not change the PP as long as you keep the original weight distribution. The change in distribution does though.

Does anyone know if replacing weight with ballast (maintaining weight and weight distribution) affects center of gravity or polar momentum?

IIC
Does anyone know if replacing weight with ballast (maintaining weight and weight distribution) affects center of gravity or polar momentum?

This one is really hard to test, so you probably won't get a definitive answer. For GT5 I came to the conclusion it does lower the center of gravity and so far nothing in GT6 makes me think it changed.

Going all the way right (+50) will by itself only raise like two or three pp points, and that's not definite.
The amount of weight you add in that direction still lowers initial pp.
Think of them as two separate things.
Looking at the coupe 07 for example.
Stage 1 takes off 183kg and takes pp up 10 points.
If I add 183 ballast, it obviously brings me back down those 10 points.
But moving it positive 50 does not add any pp at all. Moving it negative 2 takes a point off, lol.
So as far as that part of your question goes, each car is different and there is no 1 answer.

All testing I've done with ballast weight with NO movement, is inconclusive. If it does change the gravity lower, or make sandwhichs and toast, or whatever, it isn't so apparent that you will really notice. It doesn't mean it doesn't do anything, it just means from what I see, it's so slight that it's not worth the effort at this point.
Maybe, in future updates and download versions they will change something that will make this stand out more (assuming this actually does have an effect), but as of now, I see nothing.
Hope that helps?

Back