WEIRD engine tuning on supercharged Miatas!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter MaxM50
  • 6 comments
  • 1,131 views
Messages
3
Hey guys, this is my first post and I haven't seen this anywhere else, so maybe it's a bug. You tell me. Anyway, here goes:

I've noticed that the 04 Miata and my 98 10km special Miata are REALLY weird to tune, engine wise. It seems like each new part you buy changes the ideal engine tune. Try it for yourself:
Buy an 04 miata
Buy a supercharger, racing exhaust, port polish, balance, chip. NOTHING ELSE!
Now go into the tuning screen (press start from your home). Switch the chip from sports to normal. notice anything odd? You GAIN power by using the normal chip!! WTF? you should be at around 250hp/250tq with these mods.

More weirdness:
Go back and buy the other two exhausts. Go tuning. Now, with the racing exhaust your torque curve should suck. Like 190 tq max. But wait, all you did was buy the other exhausts, not even install them??! Weird, isn't it? Now try the semi-racing exhaust. Voila! Now you've got that lovely low end torque back and you're up to about 260hp/260tq.

WHAT IS GOING ON??? Has anyone noticed oddities like this with other cars? I'm totally dumbfounded by this.

Disclaimer: I bought all parts at HKS, and all hp/tq numbers are off the top of my head. But you get the idea.

-Max
 
The torque should drop with a racing exhaust, I think, but why it drops after buying other exhaust dosen't make sense. It all sounds weird.
 
The drop in torque when you purchase the other exhausts is to simulate the weight of the extra parts you aren't using sliding around in your trunk. :)

That it wierd though, I'll have to check that out. Have you tried it on other cars with superchargers?
 
Wow, I didn't even know you could tune the car by pressing start while at home.... ;)
 
I've investigated a couple of other cars, but they don't act the same way. The thing that makes the Miata so weird is:
1) The fact that depending on the setup, a worse part will yield higher HP AND torque
2) the fact that when using the supercharger and alternating between the racing and semi-racing exhaust, it's not just a small torque change, but rather the torque curve DRASTICALLY changes. It's like a whole different engine. Really. I encourage you all to go try it, and then go have fun in a 270hp supercharged miata with semi-racing exhaust! :)

BTW, I just love these darn Miatas! Slapped some N3 tires on it and had some very stable drift action.

I'm very interested to see if this "bug" happens with other cars as well.

-Max
 
sounds like real life.
I hate all those turds out there with their retard civics who think that if they put a fart can to open the flow, 18 inch rims and "lowering springs" (cut springs with no other suspension tuning) that their car will become fast......

Ummmmm, seriously, the torque you lose combined with the 18 inch rims on a 130 HP car = SLOW
Then you really mess up it's suspension without adding a toe and camber kit and I will PROMISE you that the STOCK car with 13 inch rims, puny little 1.5-2 inch muffler and standard ride hight will kick the piss out of any rice boy's car.
 
S31Ender
sounds like real life.
I hate all those turds out there with their retard civics who think that if they put a fart can to open the flow, 18 inch rims and "lowering springs" (cut springs with no other suspension tuning) that their car will become fast......

Ummmmm, seriously, the torque you lose combined with the 18 inch rims on a 130 HP car = SLOW
Then you really mess up it's suspension without adding a toe and camber kit and I will PROMISE you that the STOCK car with 13 inch rims, puny little 1.5-2 inch muffler and standard ride hight will kick the piss out of any rice boy's car.

Heheh, I'm totally with you on that. And I would LOVE it if GT4 really did simulate engine tuning as well as, say, the god of all racing games, Motor City Online. Alas, those days are gone. Sigh.

But anyway, back to the Miata: The change in torque is too drastic (70tq difference between semi-racing and racing) to be attributed to some semblance of "realistic" engine tuning. I'm thinking its a bug, but I'm happy to have it! Torquey little Miata!!
-Max
 
Back