Weird how that happens.Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter milefile
  • 19 comments
  • 1,389 views
Messages
10,832
The tape player in my Jeep is broken. I have a CD player to install, but I haven't gotten around to it. So for the time being I am stuck with the radio. But 90% of the music on the radio sucks, which is fine, because I usually get my news off the radio in the car so I turn to a news station. But when that's done and I want to hear some tunes, I flip around and eventually find something I can tolerate. But Saturday night I left a wedding reception to pick up my son and bring him back with me. It was cold outside and there was nothing good on the radio so I tried out KBAQ (K-Bach), the classical station. Now I've never disliked classical music, and I even have a handful of classical CD's that make it into rotation once in a blue moon. But this time something clicked and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was an organ concierto George Friederich Handel. With my son in the back, the dry, car heater blowing, dressed in a suit and going back to the formal event to rejoin my wife, nothing could've been better than this music. Since then I've put the station into my everyday rotation and in many cases, it's the best thing I can find. So I guess I now have more than a casual interest in classical music.

I'll be able to elaborate on what it is that draws me to it more as I figure it out myself. But I was thinking this morning while I drove to work that one thing I like about it is that it does not insult me like so much pop music does. A composer worked very hard to write the music, according to rules and musical principles that have a history and a foundation, unlike 99.9% of popular music which is free floating gibberish, poorly arranged, and seriously lacking in anything that is great about music as art. It is somehow more fulfilling to sit and passively enjoy something that so much work has gone into, as opposed to hurting my ears and sense of taste with something that nothing went into but a desire to have groupies and sell out.

Of course you all already know that selling out is the ultimate opportunity/accomplishment in pop music.

But I digress... I have a Baroque CD with Vivaldi and Handel and Pachabel. I also have a Bach CD. As of now I think my interest lies mostly in the Baroque style. I enjoy it's structure and sentimentality. Handel's water music is nice, too. But there is so much. It's a whole new vista in musical exploration, something more to be grateful for.

I can already tell this is going to be hot thread...
 
what you said there is EXACTLY the reason i listen to Jazz. but the funny thing is that I started off listening to trance and came across Trip Hop and Chillout music. It was through listening to that stuff that i moved on to acid jazz and now, i've got a pretty damn fine collection of classical jazz thanks to the Smithsonian (they released a 5 cd set of the best jazz through history). I've also got a lot of Thievery Corporation as well as a couple very nice chillout compilations from Berlin Lounge and Ministry of Sound
 
I agree 100% mile.

I tune over to 98.7 WFGR on occassion when I'm feeling stress. Classical is wonderful for stress relief cause with no words, you can turn the music into any emotion you want. As you said,.. you know that many hours of effort when into the compossition,... is almost a relief to hear sometimes.
 
I love to sit and listen to Classical and Romatic era music every once in a while... Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Liszt, etc. I only really know of the well known composers and virtuosos (sp?). I've got a classical CD set that I got with my foundations in music text book that has some great tracks on it that I listen to from time to time. It's definitely good music to relax to. It's also good music to listen to while you study. (at least for me)


-Mark
 
Hey Mile,
I would definitely agree to the ammount of useless radio there is out there. I think all the leftover Veejay's from MTV must have gotten jobs as radio playlist analists and took over the radio waves. J/K, but really, ever driven through Wisconsin? The music there really doesn't get much worse. I go CD 100% of my driving experiences.
 
I love classical music, and I listen to it quite often, but most of my listening goes to Tool, I think Red Eye Racer would agree.;)
 
I don't listen to it. But when I'm stressed I often consider it.

Plus my sister would stare at me like I'm a decomposed turd :/
 
Just stay away from "modern" 20th-century orchestral music for the most part, Eric. This is not to say that there aren't good 20th century composers (George Gershwin and Dmitri Shostakovich leap to mind), but much of it is completely pretentious twaddle. Avoid people like Schonberg and John Cage like the plague, unless you're a hardcore Deconstructivist, in which case I have nothing further to say to you.

I cannot say enough good about Sergei Rachmaninoff. Fabulous stuff.
 
This morning on my way to work I heard a Stravinsky piece for piano and violin. I liked the two instruments as opposed to an entire orchestra. I can't remember the title, but it was very intense, at moments escalating to a frenetic tempo, the violin shrieking over the staccato piano accompaniment. Gave me goosebumps.

Neon duke: What do you think of Stravinsky since he is 20th century?
 
I like Stravinsky for the most part - he actually composed music instead of the purposely-impenetrable, pseudo-intellectual chaos that really dominated modern composition throughout most of the middle of the century.

Stravinsky and Shostakovitch among others experimented with different scales and tonal groups, but they were still trying to compose music with structure and melody. Schonberg aimed for deliberate atonality. Cage actually strove to remove "the composer's ego" from the equation, by interjecting literally random sequences into his compositions. The musical equivalent of Jackson Pollock.

If your ego doesn't have something worth calling its own, then just don't make music.
 
I agree on the Baroque statement. I don't listen to much classical, but my mom listens to a lot (music major), so I hear my fair share. If you're anything like me, which you are partially by being partial to Baroque, try out some Classical period stuff. Mozart, Bach, and Hadyn are extremely reknown names, but they're really genious. It doesn't get me excited the way lots of the rest of the music I listen to does, but I cannot say any other music I listen to is any better written. Genious stuff.
 
Ah, Classical...tough to find here, except on one public radio station in these parts. Where else can you listen to 20-30 minutes of completely uninterupted music on the radio? No annoying cut-ins by DJs who think they are more important than the muisic. Music, likely created for the sake of music, and little else.

My favorite classical music is the, well...the Classical period. The Great Symphonies of Beethoven, Bach, Berlioz, Vivaldi, Haydn, and a few others from that era were quite something.

There's also the Romantic period, which isn't really about love stories, but more of an emotional return to the ideals and archetypes that man created long ago. There's great stuff from Lizst, Mahler, and my favorite of all, Dvorak. I like some of the "modern" stuff that was created in the 20th-century: Aaron Copeland and John Cage, even though they made distinctly different music, are quite ingenious and glorious to listen to.

And then...sometime in mid-2000, the local classical station (93.1 FM) was bought out by Clear Channel Communications, and so now it's a electronic dance-music station. At least, at one point, it was unique; music with no lyrics and some unusual stuff in there. But soon, it became a dumping place for remixed pop music, and it's really cookie-cutter pablum.
 
Luckily around here, there are 2 stations dedicated to this sort of music and i *think* they cover all or a good chunk of canada. One for Jazz, the other for classical...and then there's whatever other local AM stations we have. I find myself listening to jazz more than classical while i'm studying but sometimes it's tempo can be a bit distracting
 
I need a good intro to classical and was thinking of buying this set:



not bad for $30 USD considering it's 10 disks...but is it quality material? That's what bugs me about it...What do you guys think?

Masters of Classical Music - 10 disk set
Volume 01: Mozart
Volume 02: J.S. Bach
Volume 03: Beethoven
Volume 04: Johann Strauss
Volume 05: Wagner
Volume 06: Tchaikovsky
Volume 07: Antonio Vivaldi
Volume 08: Chopin
Volume 09: Schubert
Volume 10: Handel


Also, anybody looking to get into jazz, check this out:
Smithsonian Collection of Jazz
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/54116/ref=m_art_dp/104-5238914-1415930

The problem is that it's VERY expensive...and even harder to find the full set. However, if you're anything like me, money shouldn't be too much of a problem for it now would it? :lol:
This set is what kept me from going insane while studying for one of my exams.

5 CDs of the best jazz ever. Used in many college courses to introduce students to the genre. From jazz's early ragtime and blues influences in New Orleans (Bessie Smith, Jelly Roll Morton, Scott Joplin) to swing to the classic jazz singers to bebop to cool jazz to free jazz, with plenty more in between. Compiled by a lifelong student of the genre, Martin Williams, it's both more thorough and more balanced than anything Ken Burns could ever put together. If you've always meant to learn more about jazz, download this collection.

anyone looking to start listening to jazz and anyone that loves jazz would find this to be perfect. i normally don't listen to too much jazz. most of what i got is chillout or acid jazz or trip hop. but believe me, this is just amazing. well worth the umm...money.


Tracklist: http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/var/access?ABJ2730

Damn, just did a search and it turns out that Smithsonian doesn't do music cds anymore...Ah well, I got lucky when I found it :D (it's available if you look though)
 
Classical music can be very good indeed, but as Neon_Duke points out, a lot of it is garbage, especially the more modern music, which I find to be discordant noise.

Every so often a modern artist can come out and stand above the crowd, creating music that stands repeated listening in the way that good orchestral pieces do. They can create music that makes your hair stand on end.

It's just that originality is risky. Far better for a promoter to promote something that sounds just like something else that they know is successful than to take a risk on a different prospect. Thankfully, the truly original acts keep on breaking through.

Depressingly, Westlife's cover of the Barry Manilow hit "Mandy" was voted "Record of the Year" in a UK TV poll. That anyone could muster the impulse to overcome their sloth and actually vote for such an anodyne track by a bland identikit boy band is utterly sickening. It reinforces my refusal to listen to the radio.
 
Canons is one of the greatest pieces ever. But, coincidentally, is too associated as wedding music. Me, I'm partial to Celtic influence in music. I have a few mp3s of music written 500 or so years ago. Even a few of Greensleeves.
 
Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
Classical music can be very good indeed, but as Neon_Duke points out, a lot of it is garbage, especially the more modern music, which I find to be discordant noise.

Do you mean music from the Classical period, or music from all periods that isn't rock/pop?
 
Originally posted by Zrow
Do you mean music from the Classical period, or music from all periods that isn't rock/pop?

I think a lot of people call any orchestral music classical when technically it isn't. I do.

I've noticed that I prefer smaller chamber orchestras a great deal more. The humongous orchestras tend to sound rather non-descript and muddy to me. Give me a string quartet and a harpsichord or piano.
 
Originally posted by Zrow
Do you mean music from the Classical period, or music from all periods that isn't rock/pop?

I suppose I generally mean orchestral pieces. Non-guitar-based string music.
 
Right, most people do, including me. It's easier to just say "classical music" instead of thinking, is that baroque, romantic, classical...? Plus, a lot of the big names came from the classical; Beethoven, Mozart, and Haydn. Unless I know something is Bach or Gershwin or somebody else, I'm probably just going to say classical.
 
Back