Weird problem with the game

  • Thread starter Thread starter Scharkey
  • 22 comments
  • 1,121 views
Messages
6
I bought this game when it came out but when I went to play it again, it doesn't start up. I have the slim skinny PS2. I use to play this game all the time and it always worked. But when it loads up, the screen stays black, no PS2 logo either. It skips ever half second or so (I hear a click). I took it to my friends (old PS2) and it worked. Any suggestions or re-buy the game? I would hate to have a "Greatest Hits" game.. of this game :guilty:
 
Have you tried a different game in your PS2?
 
Yes, every single game I own works perfect.
Except GT4. I am very carefull with my games. And the last time I played the game was December 6, 2005. So, it hasn't came out of it's case for half a year. If I shut off my PS2, have the disc in, then hit power it runs louder then usual and still has a faint click each second or so. I can let it stay there all day, same result. If I go to my browser and try and let it run that way, it stays saying, "reading disc".
 
You're looking at the start of a disk read error (DRE) problem. GT4 is quite a data-intensive disk, so it usually stops working first, though it's a bit odd on a slimline PSTwo. Search around for "Disk Read Error" or "DRE" for a cure (it'll involve opening the PSTwo up) - I've no idea how to fix it on a slim PSTwo I'm afraid, so I can't advise you other than that.
 
Ok Scharkey, this happend with me too, dont worry, I also had the clicking and the all black screen and only with GT4. I have the first gen PS2 any CD based game dosnt work anymore :( but DVD games do, My dad took ours apart and cleaned the laser with a cotton bud and pure alcohol, there was also a skrew that he tightend up and since then its worked 100% again, Will ask my dad to take it apart tonight so I can get a photo of the skrew he tightend up. 👍

this may not be the same as your inside, but I would sugest cleaning the laser with a laser cleaning disk or the way we did it.

I know these are other forums, but maybe these could help they have solutions PM me for the links.
 
Famine
You're looking at the start of a disk read error (DRE) problem. GT4 is quite a data-intensive disk, so it usually stops working first, though it's a bit odd on a slimline PSTwo.
Actually, I bought a used slimline PSTwo while trying to diagnose my controller problems, and GT4 never even began to load on it, though it worked fine with other games. On the other hand, my well-used, 4-year-old PS2 has never had a DRE.
 
How odd.

I know daan bought a second PSTwo, because the first one - which he bought new for UKGTP4 - made the worst grinding sound evAh, though it played okay. It was a lot like listening to a bag of gravel in a cement mixer.
 
My Slimlime PS2 works fine, only ever had 1 or 2 problems, GT4 is fine also . . .
 
I have exactly the same problem. It used to happen before, but it stopped suddenly. However, the problem is back.:banghead:
 
Here will solve ur problem if u can't load GT4, 1st get a GAMESHARK and start game, insert ur GT4 disc and load, there u go ^^ cos i have this problem too My PS2 is also 1st gen so i simply get a GAMESHARK and Load it for me. Hope it will help
 
Ok, for some odd reason the game started up fine again.:odd:

EDIT: Oh for god's sake the problem is back. I hate using that old PS2.
 
Thanks ALOT for the tips and help.. though it still hasn't worked yet. But, I don't think it's the lense because it reads all my other games.
 
Doesn't mean an awful lot. Some DREs start with an inability to read blue or black bottomed disks, though they'll read everything else...

The two hardest games for a PS2 to read are, apparently, GT4 and San Andreas.
 
I own GTA: San Andreas and it reads it perfect every single time. It's never froze either. GT4, when I have it try to load up, it won't let me restart or shutoff the PS2 untill I open the disc tray. It's very weird. But, I don't understand why an old PS2 will load it and not a new slim one. The disc isn't a blue or black bottom. Also, I just played San Andreas... :sick:
 
Try cleaning your PS2 Lens, that always worked for me, and make sure your GT4 cd is very clean.

Another thing that I highly don't reccomend, was when my gt4 cd became too scratched up, so I buffed it with finish car buffing compound. It worked, but I don't think its a good idea. I just did it as a last resort.
 
It's got long scratches all around it, in a big circle. This happened with my brothers old PS2s, same thing I guess and they all started with one disc, then another stopped working, then it just quit.
 
Scharkey
It's got long scratches all around it, in a big circle. This happened with my brothers old PS2s, same thing I guess and they all started with one disc, then another stopped working, then it just quit.
In that case, I think your cd is just too scratched up to be used. If nothing else works, like mine did, you might as well get someone to buff your cd or something like that.

It doesn't work anyways, so why not?


EDIT: Never mind, it worked at your friends house.....I highly suggest cleaning the lens.
 
Ok, if I remember correctly, (I have a slimline PS2) you have to open it by taking off little...dots. They are at the bottom of the PS2. The ones that are REALLY sticky, don't take them off. There are like...5 or 6 screw things I THINK... after uncovering those things will be screws. Unscrew it and theres the inside.
 
Scharkey
It's got long scratches all around it, in a big circle. This happened with my brothers old PS2s, same thing I guess and they all started with one disc, then another stopped working, then it just quit.

That type of scratch (parallel) is deadly to optical discs, especially the higher-density media of DVDs. (Radial scratches (center to edge) are usually okay as long as they're not too deep or too wide.)

It's almost always caused by a failing player or reader where something is making contact with the disc. Try cleaning the tray, since this may be happening on the spindown, when the spindle lowers the disc onto the tray. It's possible that something else has fallen or gotten misaligned inside the PS2. In which case, it's probably going to be cheaper to get a new PS2 than get it repaired...unless you manage to do it yourself. Given the alternatives, you probably have nothing to lose.
 
Well, this only did it to this particulular game. I read somewhere where someone had the same exact problem, so it's happened to alot others before I'm guessing. But all the person said was to remove a sticker or check and see if the thing that spins the disc is not to low.. but it works with all of my games except GT4. Should I just buy GT4 again and see what happens or borrow a persons game? I don't think I'm going to take anything apart, I can't risk messing something up. I'll get my lense cleaned though.
 
i hav the skinny ps2 aswell and gt4 and a few other games never loaded. i didnt know you could fix it i gues i watsed my money buying another one :banghead:
 
i kinda trust the bulky generation one ps2's because of their cooling system, which the gen 2 ps2's dont have.
 
cerpin_taxt
i kinda trust the bulky generation one ps2's because of their cooling system, which the gen 2 ps2's dont have.

And don't need, when the primary heat source - the transformer - is external.
 
Back