Weird steering disconnect

United Kingdom
UK
Phantom__Mark
I have a weird thing going on here, using the Sierra Cosworth RS500 around Tsukuba in T1, T3, T7 I have a split second of what feels like the steering disconnecting from the car, it almost feels like the car is bottoming out and sliding straight on, it feels exactly like that except the steering pops back into life and you can visually see the steering lock of the front wheels pop at the reconnect moment.

Using a Fanatec DD - had zero issues elsewhere so far.

Not detected anything like this with other cars, unless it is a weird way to convey the car bottoming out I am at a loss ? any suggestions ?

I have encountered the same problem in many cars, namely Skylines (R32, GT500) as well as the X2019.

I still have no clue as to what's causing it, but if it's simply the bottoming out, or more precisely, tires rubbing on the insides of the arches, then there is the answer. And the only way to fix this is by raising ride height, or something similar.

Which is why driving one of these "bugged" cars under BOP is frustrating: you just have to know which turns it's going to happen at, and that's all you can do. I did the previous Time Trial, Gr. 3 at Barcelona without chicane, with the GT500. I had to pay attention to where this "disconnection" was going to occur. Extremely uncomfortable to have in the back of your head.

For the record, I'm using G923.

One of the many reasons why I dislike GT7. They're still yet to fix the FFB going crazy when starting from a standstill as well...

Last edited:
That's a shame :(

I have the car handling quite nicely most of the time, I will make some adjustments and see if I can find a compromise, thanks for confirming I am not going mad at least :)

Using a Fanatec DD - had zero issues elsewhere so far.
I’ve had this happen with my Fanatec DD Pro as well. No real pattern to it when it happens to me. The FFB in GT7 is notoriously bad, especially for their officially branded wheel, which is a huge disappointment.

as long as your tyre can clear the fender you shouldn't have that problem, be it using the wider rim option or not.

I have encountered the same problem in many cars, namely Skylines (R32, GT500) as well as the X2019.

I still have no clue as to what's causing it, but if it's simply the bottoming out, or more precisely, tires rubbing on the insides of the arches, then there is the answer. And the only way to fix this is by raising ride height, or something similar.

Which is why driving one of these "bugged" cars under BOP is frustrating: you just have to know which turns it's going to happen at, and that's all you can do. I did the previous Time Trial, Gr. 3 at Barcelona without chicane, with the GT500. I had to pay attention to where this "disconnection" was going to occur. Extremely uncomfortable to have in the back of your head.

For the record, I'm using G923.

One of the many reasons why I dislike GT7. They're still yet to fix the FFB going crazy when starting from a standstill as well...
Check your brake balance, too. Having it set to the rear reduces braking effectiveness but will cause the car to rotate around the rear axle during braking. Weight shift occurs by the front end lowering. If brake balance is set to the front, the car rotates around the front axle and the rear of the car lifts. This occurs more readily than rotating around the rear and results in more clearance in the front wheel wells during braking.
You may also be braking too late. If you brake sooner and accelerate through the turn, the front end will lift in any rear wheel drive or four wheel drive car, leaving more clearance in the wheel wells.
If your tires are dragging, they'll lock up faster under braking. Once the front tires lock, you lose steering.

OK, sold my RS500 with the steering issues and bought a new one, I modified everything possible except 2 things: unchanged tyre size and kept the original body width aka don't go for the wide body option, the car drives and handle like a dream. I can do the longest power slides with control just lovely to drive

OK, sold my RS500 with the steering issues and bought a new one, I modified everything possible except 2 things: unchanged tyre size and kept the original body width aka don't go for the wide body option, the car drives and handle like a dream. I can do the longest power slides with control just lovely to drive
Also unchanged tyre width

I've not bothered to find out specifically what it is, but it's either wider wheel offset, wide body mod, or excessive lowering (or a combination of these) that causes it.

It's the wheels getting bound up on the arch and then suddenly pinging free. You can see the wheel itself doesn't go to full lock in the replay, nor does the steering wheel turn to appropriate lock and then it will suddenly ping free.

It's fairly annoying.

I've been having something similar except the car (at top speed) will randomly turn straight into the wall and I can't possibly think what it could be....

I've been having something similar except the car (at top speed) will randomly turn straight into the wall and I can't possibly think what it could be....

Back