Weird wheel/suspension glitch.

  • Thread starter Thread starter VrapPlus
  • 8 comments
  • 1,327 views
Messages
303
United States
Oak Harbor
Messages
VrapPlus
I looked all over the forums, and I can't find an answer for this one.

Equipment:fanatec gt3rs wheel with CSR elite pedals and H pattern 6 speed shifter.
GT6 v1.04
Slim PS3 120 gig.


Details: After performing the 1.03 upgrade (RB Jr. I think or maybe 1.02 either one I noticed after RB jr. Was introduced) I started to notice that randomly throughout a race there would be times, where my wheel would go weightless, as I
If I was doing the moon missions, and also my pedals would go unresponsive. This glitch lasts a second or less; at first I thought maybe, my wheel was going bad. So I upgraded my firmware to see if this would alleviate the problem, nothing changed. I decided to once again flash the firmware back to stock (v6.81 I believe) hoping that maybe the old firmware became corrupted. Nothing yet again, then I started to notice that when this happened; once I was granted control of the car again, it sounded as if my car was landing from a jump. There again and again I would hear a faint thud through my headphones, as if the car was floating for just a split second and all power was lost to it. I tried to catch it in replays, but all I can see are the moments when the car goes limp and unresponsive. No major suspension travel, but there is always that faint thud when all control is given back to the car. It's frustrating because every time I'm running a great lap it happens and causes me to lose control of the car.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Edit: this happens everywhere with every car.
 
Last edited:
Damn man that sounds like such a frustrating problem, have you tried deleting the game data and reloading it then redownloading the updates
 
No issues here, using CSR Elite and CS Pedals, have been running all the updates as they are available. The RB Jr does feel a bit light on the steering if you have the SEN = OFF but if set to some other setting that is not the case.
I generally use 540 on the RB Jr and Off on everything else.

Could be a problem with your game data I suppose, could be a connection issue with the USB or the PS2 connector from the pedals, could possibly be an over heating issue with the wheel internals

btw I am also using the PS3 slim 120
 
This is probably a Fanatec issue, to be certain play with the pad and see if you still get the issue
 
Reinstalled game data, played for about 20 minutes with no issues so far, got work in the morning so I'll continue to test some more.

This problem just didn't apply to the RB jr. It was for all cars, sorry I wasn't very specific it just started when those cars where introduced. I'm currently doing a stock honda type R testing run, using all type R or SiR models on Bathurst. Other than for my own amusement (the sound of the DC2s VTEC kicking in gives me goosebumps) it serves no purpose, I was just starting to get irritated with the random " my car just became a brick sliding on a buttered floor" feeling, followed by the "oh there's no more butter on the floor, you may turn... Right meow!!" Feeling. I am hoping it's the game data, I'll find out more tomorrow.
 
CSR wheel, CSR Elite pedals. 756 FW. No weird issues like that.

Try these settings if it happens again, just to rule out some settings issue because I know these work.

Sensitivity (SEn): 670 (540 to 720)

Force feedback strength (FF): 100 (always leave at 100 and adjust FF strength in-game)

Vibration strength (Sho): 100 (0 to 100, makes no difference)

Drift mode (dri): Off

ABS: 65 (off to 100)

Linearity (Lin): 0

Deadzone (dEA): 0

Spring (SPr) 0

Damper (dPr): off (not 0, It is different.)

I guess some settings might be different on your wheels.. but I think they're similar.

Also in game set FF to 4 or 5

Selecting "simulation" does nothing for the G25.. (what Fanatec emulates).. that is for lower end wheels like old Logitech 180 degree wheels. I set it to simulation anyways.

Set power steering to off. If that is on it does weird stuff to FF. If you want a power steering feel, use Dri 1 up to 3.

Also I have noticed that on the driving options if you set the controller sensitivity to anything below 7, you will have lag, it gets worse the lower the number and it is evident mostly when correcting snap oversteer which happens a lot on GT6.

It's twitchy when playing with a pad, but it is still better than input lag which happens even on 6. I've don extensive testing just out of my own curiosity and it does in fact affect the input on steering wheels too.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the great input @BWX, I did some more testing after a fresh install and the problem still exists, but there's no longer a thud coming though when it happened and it happens less often, 2 times in 30 minutes to be precise. I've emailed fanatec, to see if they've heard of this, also I'm going to change the USB cord this weekend.
 
i use a csr elite + csp v1 ( home mod inverted and dampered with hood dampers not the crap they sell ) + the cs H shifter..

had a few issues at one stage; with some minor bug as you discrib; my wheel is used on forza4 as well and now has more than 200 000km on it . ( 3rd set of motors ) my issue actually was the last set of motors i had where diying out and making the board cut off for a sec and come back.. since i changed the motors the issue is resolved.

id consider testing the rig on a another game or platforme ( pc ) and using the pc soft to calibrate the Off zones... as the log does let you set what Off means for the wheel.


as for my setting on the CSRE ;

Sen : 900
FFB : 90 ( fed up of killing motors on 100 ( so 90 on the wheel and 7 in game and 90 take some of the bad signal out... less motor burn on stand still... but do what you wish if you are under waranty )
sh :100
drift : off
abs : 35 -37 depends of game
Lin : 0
DZ : 0
Spring : off ' much more realistc as the wheel does not center on its own if the car is at stand still ; and it centers as a real car would in real life !! anything else is faked from the CSR or GT wheels. ) test it !
damper : off same reason the game is very well set up .

ACL off obviously as it is for forza...



dont change the stearing sensitivity if you use a wheel ! change the sen on the wheel there are 5 modes ; use them.
 
Thanks for the great input @BWX, I did some more testing after a fresh install and the problem still exists, but there's no longer a thud coming though when it happened and it happens less often, 2 times in 30 minutes to be precise. I've emailed fanatec, to see if they've heard of this, also I'm going to change the USB cord this weekend.

Is there a fan in that wheel? I know in my CSR there is and you can set to always on full, or heat sensor controlled or whatever. I have it set to get faster as it gets hotter. I wonder if you set it to full speed all the time if that might cool things down and avoid issues? Not even sure if you can do that on that wheel though.

It is weird issue you are describing! I wonder if your power brick is going?


That reminds me though...
I remember when I first had my central AC installed in my house a couple years ago that it would cause a huge surge/ dip in my power when it kicked on sometimes and even though I have everything hooked up to a UPS (uninterpretable power supply - two of them actually rated 1500 AVS each), the only thing that would cut out when that would happen is my CSR wheel! It would loose power for a micro second, and I could feel it in my FF and I would loose control for a second. That actually sounds like what you are describing come to think of it..

Do you have an air conditioner running? Or anything else that would cause a dip in power? That might be it actually.

I don't know what I am going to do about that this summer. I already had a device installed on the system that is supposed to fix that, but it still happened sometimes last summer.

Funny thing is my TV, PC, home theater, and everything else are completely unaffected by that because the UPS kicks on at 102 volts or something like that on a 120 volt system, but the Fanatec stuff is apparently extremely sensitive to that kind of short loss of power, and for a very small amount of time.
 
Back