Well, I'm now 95% sure I'm selling the SC300..

  • Thread starter Thread starter High-Test
  • 8 comments
  • 1,202 views

High-Test

Gnome
Premium
Messages
4,772
United States
Kansas City, KS
Messages
FlyingAGasoline
Well, last Thursday I learned the hard way just how messed up my Alternator is, among other things. The car has died when left over the weekend, and then thursday it died at a 4 way stop. I'd love to keep it to fix up, my only problem is that the parts are so dang expensive to buy. Here's some Quotes I've gotten:

Driver's headlight: $300-1200 ( bought a sealed unit on egay, but the asshole who sold it labeled it as an SC300 unit, but it is for a soarer instead. :irked: )

Alternator: $3-700

Driver's mirror: $70-200

Guage needles: (the dealer wants 7-800, but the misleading idiots on egay say it's around 100)

I'd need a new front Fascia, new window tint, new door panel, and I'd need to either fill in or pop out the dent in the side. Also, it should probably be repainted, as the poor Diamond Pearl has been torn to hell by keyers and my tire throwing the belt. The Traction control is f'ed up, and it could use new seat upholstery.

So... I'm up to what the car's worth in repairs. I'm pretty well set on selling it, but I'm not sur whether to sell it as the car itself, or part it out and let it live on in many other lucky SC300s.

So, should I sell it, part it out, or take the crazy sentimental route and put more than it's worth in it just to keep it on the road?

(in the last month, it hasn't gone more than 6 days without dying)

Anyone have any words of wisdom?
 
You sure the headlight doesnt fit...as fair as i know the Toyota Soarer and the Lexus SC series are the same car...just one is the JDM and the other UDM
 
The Porko
You sure the headlight doesnt fit...as fair as i know the Toyota Soarer and the Lexus SC series are the same car...just one is the JDM and the other UDM

At least here in Sweden, if you buy say a Skyline, you need to convert the headlights for right-hand traffic. Since the Soarer is sold in Japan, maybe that's why it doesn't fit?
 
As a service manager with Lexus, here's my advice: Sell it, unless you really, really, like that car, and you have a lot of money to spend on it. Old SC300/400s can be money pits when they have lots of miles. The reliability issues with the SC weren't really nailed down until the 1997-2000 models, anyhow, although both motors are strong and long-lasting with a little care.

As for the SC300, there's a surprising amount of demand for that car (at least in South Florida, anyway). There aren't that many Japanese coupes out there that have 200+hp, but any Lexus with over 120,000 miles is going to have problems. Still, I see them all the time; some with super-low mileage, and others with tons of miles. The name carries a lot of weight, I've noticed. It's truly unique and still futuristic-looking, sort of a Toyota-built Porsche 928. That said, I see tons in my shop with lots of mileage, and lots of love. They're darn proud owners!

Don't look at the price of an new/used SC430, it's overpriced! Considering it's competition is even more overpriced, it's considered to be a good deal.

The Porko
You sure the headlight doesnt fit...as fair as i know the Toyota Soarer and the Lexus SC series are the same car...just one is the JDM and the other UDM
Geez, welcome back, Porko! Long time, no post.
 
The lamps for the SC300 don't fit the Soarer "socket"

Thanks for the advice, Pako. Should I sell it as a whole or part it out?
 
pupik
As a service manager with Lexus, here's my advice: Sell it, unless you really, really, like that car, and you have a lot of money to spend on it. Old SC300/400s can be money pits when they have lots of miles. The reliability issues with the SC weren't really nailed down until the 1997-2000 models, anyhow, although both motors are strong and long-lasting with a little care.

As for the SC300, there's a surprising amount of demand for that car (at least in South Florida, anyway). There aren't that many Japanese coupes out there that have 200+hp, but any Lexus with over 120,000 miles is going to have problems. Still, I see them all the time; some with super-low mileage, and others with tons of miles. The name carries a lot of weight, I've noticed. It's truly unique and still futuristic-looking, sort of a Toyota-built Porsche 928. That said, I see tons in my shop with lots of mileage, and lots of love. They're darn proud owners!

Don't look at the price of an new/used SC430, it's overpriced!

+1 to everything he just said. You'd be better off selling it to either a young white teenager who plans on ricing it or parting it out on ebay. If the body's clean, give it a tuneup replace the cheap simple stuff and detail it and maybe you can sell it whole on ebay for a little something. Just sell it AS-IS with a non-refundable deposit. That way if they re-neg on the deal you can use the deposit to fix it. 👍
 
THis car ran like hell for 12 years without failing to start, and I learned how to drive in it, and it's been in my family for 8 years.

Just last month made me pull out my hair. I think If I keep it it would be a fun car to fix up.


My heart won't let me sell it. :guilty:

Pupik, do you have any recommendations on where to look for parts?
 
High-Test
Pupik, do you have any recommendations on where to look for parts?
Salvage/junkyards aren't a bad start; a "hands-on" place to get your parts, except there migth not be much proof on whether they work or not. Some places let you roam the lots and just take what you need for a few bucks, or some sort of honor system.

See if there's a local club; there is a local IS/Supra club that uses our dealership as a meeting point, ironically (although it's not sanctioned by us in any way). Maybe they have some info, if you can find one. There's at least two big Lexus-fan sites on the internet that ought to give you good info.

Auto parts stores can help; once a car's 10+ years old, Toyota's partners tend to make the parts available to other suppliers. Although we don't install privatly-supplied parts, some people told me they've had satisfactory results by doing so elsewhere when our prices seemed to break the bank for really expensive stuff (steering columns, A/C compressors, alternators, starters, seat tracks, CD changers).
 
I searched google and found lots of crap. Can you give me a site name, please?


Thanks again for the advice. :)
 
Back