Well, this is interesting...

More than a month ago, somebody posted a thread about cam motion effects. I was among the ones who responded, recommending leaving them on.

I've been playing for days with the motion effects turned off, and I've made a rather interesting discovery:

With the effects turned off, the physics and car handling seems more accurate, precise and generally more spot on. The car's weight, the suspension doing it's work, the tires gripping the tarmac, everything seems more connected now. Here's why - the motion effects seem to exaggerate the suspension movement somewhat, particularly from the first person perspectives. In addition, it also gives a mild tunnel vision like effect at higher speeds, which is why certain drivers seem to have difficulty judging corner entry speed and braking points. This is also why some cars felt as if they understeered more than they should, or simply didn't have enough grip going into corners, or the tail breaking loose going out of corners. Due to one simple fact: motion effects don't relay the correct field of view and depth, hence making it harder to judge distance when approaching a turn. That's all I can say to explain it for now, try it for yourself and see!

I would HIGHLY recommend turning the motion effects off, and driving from the first person perspectives.

Let me know how the car handing feels NOW! 👍

I never mentioned antyhing about this setting actually affecting physics.

But rather how cars feel (more spot on). Since there are no motion aids/effects, extra or exaggerated movement.. whatever you want to call it... that would otherwise *taint* the sim experience.

I don't remember having a field of view adjustment option in F3 BTW.

I turned mine off when I first got the game because I assumed it would be done like some other games where they make it too extreme. I tried putting it on a couple of months ago and didn't notice much change so just put it back to off.

It's interesting that you noticed the change but then again I probably wouldn't even notice if my car changed colour in the middle of a race. I might try it again later and now that I know what kind of changes to look for I might be ale to spot them.

I have noticed the opposite. With the motion effects switched off, the expierence for me is sterile and disconnected. When the effects are on, the car seems to have added attitude and (visually) apears to encounter undulations and uneven surfaces on the track.

I assume this is because I primarily use the cockpit camera, due to the lessened fish eye effect compared to all of the other views. The fish eye effect is the reason I tend to miss corners and braking points. I tried to use external views due to the Audi R18's horrible field of vision, but I actually found my self lapping better with the cockpit view and effects on. Strange...

Either way Turn 10 nerfed the views in FM4. The car is still to sterile with the effects off, and with them on you get the expierence of being a sleepy Admiral Akbar, with a rubber neck.

^ I'm with Dopplegagger, the only way I can play this game is in cockpit view with the motion effects enabled, for the reasons listed. Otherwise the suspension modelling is too subtle/muted to give effective feedback.

In Horizon, the chase camera is in a better position and more effectively calibrated to the motions of the car, so I swap between chase and cockpit often. Chase view is almost necessary to negotiate blind crests and turns at high speed.

I never mentioned antyhing about this setting actually affecting physics.

But rather how cars feel (more spot on). Since there are no motion aids/effects, extra or exaggerated movement.. whatever you want to call it... that would otherwise *taint* the sim experience.

I don't remember having a field of view adjustment option in F3 BTW.

You kinda did at the start of the main body of your post :sly:

As for the FoV adjustment, it's been doable since FM2 using the "Multiscreen" settings.

A video I made ages ago of an adjusted FoV in FM2.

Oh right, the FOV options from the multiscreen options menu.

But I was referring to motion effects, not the FOV adjustments.

Anyhoo, motion effects off works for me well. Effects on, it seems the cars have less weight and gravity seems to effect them less somehow. For me personally, since I play from the bumper cam 98% of the time, motion effects messes with your field of view and depth perception. My driving and lap times improved somewhat since turning it off.

Gotta admit though the sense of speed with the effects turned on is simply exhilarating!

Latest Posts

Back